London to Dover transfer options, morning of departure

I booked a hotel near Charing Cross station, planning on taking the train to Dover Priory departure morning (7/31). When I just went to book tickets, I learned : (Engineering work is taking place between Paddock Wood and Strood, closing some lines all weekend. As a result buses will replace trains between Strood and Tonbridge) Ugh!

Another option is St. Pancras, but then we have to deal with schlepping luggage on the underground, though I suppose a taxi wouldn't be outrageously expensive.

Private car transfers are always an option, but I am concerned about possible delays. At home, we've driven more than three hours to port on departure morning without a second thought, but England is all new to me, so I am a little concerned about this option.

I am leaning to a taxi to Victoria Station, then taking the Carnival bus, but it doesn't leave until noon. On the more reassuring end, since it is a cruise ship transfer, the ship won't leave us.But it also means, if we were to take a private car, as long as we stayed ahead of the last Carnival transfer, we'd be ok.

We are a family of four, so the costs for all options all end up about the same. Is there anything I am not considering?

Thanks!

Edited by cyntil8ing

If you'd be happy to taxi to Victoria to get the Carnival transfer, then you may as well taxi to St Pancras to get the train. I agree that trying to get there by Tube would not be easy. Neither Charing Cross nor Embankment stations are set up for luggage, plus you'd either have to change or else grind all the way around the Circle Line from Embankment.

On a Sunday morning, it shouldn't take anywhere near three hours to drive to Dover. With a fair wind, it might be closer to half that time.

Check out -

www.internationalfriends.co.uk 

- - Under Shore Excursions & Transfer 

——-  London and Heathrow to Dover with Optional of Dover Castle

They go from certain London hotels to Dover.

I have used them from Dover and Southampton to my London hotel.

On 5/21/2022 at 4:38 PM, cyntil8ing said:

I booked a hotel near Charing Cross station, planning on taking the train to Dover Priory departure morning (7/31). When I just went to book tickets, I learned : (Engineering work is taking place between Paddock Wood and Strood, closing some lines all weekend. As a result buses will replace trains between Strood and Tonbridge) Ugh!

Another option is St. Pancras, but then we have to deal with schlepping luggage on the underground, though I suppose a taxi wouldn't be outrageously expensive.

Private car transfers are always an option, but I am concerned about possible delays. At home, we've driven more than three hours to port on departure morning without a second thought, but England is all new to me, so I am a little concerned about this option.

I am leaning to a taxi to Victoria Station, then taking the Carnival bus, but it doesn't leave until noon. On the more reassuring end, since it is a cruise ship transfer, the ship won't leave us.But it also means, if we were to take a private car, as long as we stayed ahead of the last Carnival transfer, we'd be ok.

We are a family of four, so the costs for all options all end up about the same. Is there anything I am not considering?

Thanks!

Are you aware of the National Express bus system which is super cheap from London to Dover. I am using them the opposite direction for 11.50 pounds sterling.  I'm headed to Heathrow.