Pre-CruiseAmsterdam COVID Testing

Kamfish642

Taking a 14-day cruise around Norway out of Amsterdam on the new Rotterdam, with a 1 night at a pre-cruise hotel booked through HAL with transfers.  I understand the current EU requirement for a negative pre-cruise COVID test 72 hours prior to embarking on vessel, but I have a few questions:

1) Does HAL interpret the pre-cruise COVID testing timeframe as 3 days versus the specific 72 hours stated?  I plan to spend the evening in Miami prior to our flight to Amsterdam so it may be difficult to meet specific 72-hour criteria not knowing time for boarding the Rotterdam.

2) Will HAL administer an additional COVID test upon arrival at pre-cruise hotel in Amsterdam (Apollo) or upon arrival at vessel since we will not be going directly from flight to vessel?

3) Understand that HAL will provide a pre-flight COVID test at the end of cruise for those passengers flying back to US.  Correct, since I've seen differing responses on Cruise Critic posting.

Sorry for asking these questions, but I've just finished a Viking river cruise where we had to do the pre-flight test, then a test the next day after arriving at hotel followed by a test upon embarking on longship and daily thereafter.  

Thank you in advance.

Howdy will be on the Rotterdam in a few weeks. We just got off an Oceania embarking Istanbul. The ship required a negative test so they provided one Turkey did not. Did some land touring in Switzerland in April, same no test entry just proof of vaccination. Have not seen an email about a negative test from HAL yet. If antigen is ok would recommend the Emed version. Just need a laptop or iPad with webcam and sound so the proctor can monitor your test for 15 minutes. Also need good Wi-Fi. 

kamfish - 

Question 1 - count the 3 days before, not 72 hours.  

Question 2 - it is my understanding that the "on site" test will only be for individuals who DO NOT provide the negative test in question 1.  it will be at the pier/check in. 

Question 3 - i believe the answer is yes AS OF NOW.  This could change as you get closer to your sail date.  For example, HAL stopped doing this for passengers returning from Alaska sailings.  

PS - i am on the 6/26 Rotterdam sailing and will be doing the Emed/telehealth testing for embarkation as  I will be in Amsterdam for 4 days before the sailing getting off the NS sailing in Copenhagen.  IF you havent before, the Emed tests are easy and work well ( ive used them several times) .  In your case, I would suggest you do it from Miami BEFORE boarding your flight.  In the event you test positive, you can avoid the hassle and surprise of testing positive in Amsterdam!  You could also arrange for tesing in Miami at one of the pharmacies like Walgreens or CVS (i find Walgreens most reliable with appointments, etc).  Walgreens schedules appointments 1 week out and CVS 2 weeks out. 

Good luck

and if testing in Amsterdam still necessary, you can ask the Apollo Hotel or use Spoedtest.nl  The bnearest of about 10 locations in Amsterdam to your hotel will be in the van Eeghenstraat, and 2 quite close to the cruise terminal (if the terminal is PTA Piet Heinkade.....). Price for the test is € 39,95. However you can find antigen testlocations where they test for €  29,95.   at the airport the price is too high in my opinion. 

I tested at Spoedtest and am not a fan of the rude staff and dirty facility.  DH tested at the Hilton Schiphol, quick and professional.  They will even hand you a printed copy of the test.  It is 39 euro and an extra 10 euro for the travel documentation.  IMHO it is well worth the extra 10 euro.  The facility is directly above the check in desk and no appointment is required though preferred.  When back home I will post their website link 

Update our SIL disembarking Rotterdam today. 2 weeks ago negative COVID test required, Antigen ok. His text to me. 

“Yes you do need a negative test to get on. I got mine the Friday before. Rapid is fine. I also brought my real vax card.

They will test you onboard the day before you depart if required for your flight home. That is free.” 

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I tested at Spoedtest and am not a fan of the rude staff and dirty facility.  

Can you inform us to which location of spoedtest you went for the test? We, as dutch passengers, would like to know this too. Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, MAVIP said:

Can you inform us to which location of spoedtest you went for the test? We, as dutch passengers, would like to know this too. Thank you so much!

Eeghenstraat   

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Eeghenstraat   

@Kamfish642 Please read the comments of @Mary229.  I am so sorry I donot have the opportunity to check, because of te distance to my home village and our upcoming holidays.  So please ask Guest Service in your hotel. 

20 hours ago, blueexpedition29 said:

kamfish - 

Question 1 - count the 3 days before, not 72 hours.  

Question 2 - it is my understanding that the "on site" test will only be for individuals who DO NOT provide the negative test in question 1.  it will be at the pier/check in. 

Question 3 - i believe the answer is yes AS OF NOW.  This could change as you get closer to your sail date.  For example, HAL stopped doing this for passengers returning from Alaska sailings.  

PS - i am on the 6/26 Rotterdam sailing and will be doing the Emed/telehealth testing for embarkation as  I will be in Amsterdam for 4 days before the sailing getting off the NS sailing in Copenhagen.  IF you havent before, the Emed tests are easy and work well ( ive used them several times) .  In your case, I would suggest you do it from Miami BEFORE boarding your flight.  In the event you test positive, you can avoid the hassle and surprise of testing positive in Amsterdam!  You could also arrange for tesing in Miami at one of the pharmacies like Walgreens or CVS (i find Walgreens most reliable with appointments, etc).  Walgreens schedules appointments 1 week out and CVS 2 weeks out. 

Good luck

Thanks for response to Q1, which was my main concern. 

FYI: Walgreens and CVS no longer performing rapid antigen testing, just NAAT antigen and PCR, and only can schedule 3 days in advance rather than previous 14 days.

On 5/22/2022 at 6:21 PM, Kamfish642 said:

Thanks for response to Q1, which was my main concern. 

FYI: Walgreens and CVS no longer performing rapid antigen testing, just NAAT antigen and PCR, and only can schedule 3 days in advance rather than previous 14 days.

Thanks Kamfish - this is a recent change but now i see it in the ny area as well.