Travel insurance added to bill without my permission

KKB

I booked a cruise that DH won on a poker cruise in 2019 that is finally sailing this December.

Unfortunately I didn't look closely at the invoice when I booked at the end of Feb.

(My mother had passed just 2 weeks prior & was in process of moving Dad to assisted living)

There was NO indication of this during our phone call & I would have declined had it been mentioned as I have travel insurance by using my Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Final payment is not due until August. 

Can I call & get the travel insurance removed?

In a situation like this, cruise or otherwise, call immediately when you notice a problem.

There is a much better chance to get it fixed then vs. if you call months later, and especially find out later that you missed a deadline because you waited, or something like that.

GC

3 hours ago, KKB said:

I booked a cruise that DH won on a poker cruise in 2019 that is finally sailing this December.

Unfortunately I didn't look closely at the invoice when I booked at the end of Feb.

(My mother had passed just 2 weeks prior & was in process of moving Dad to assisted living)

There was NO indication of this during our phone call & I would have declined had it been mentioned as I have travel insurance by using my Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Final payment is not due until August. 

Can I call & get the travel insurance removed?

Insurance is the default condition. It is always added unless you ask for it to be removed. Call to get it removed. It's only a few bucks. 

49 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Insurance is the default condition. It is always added unless you ask for it to be removed. Call to get it removed. It's only a few bucks. 

$200 is more than "a few bucks" IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It's not "only a few bucks" when your husband is 86! Ours would have been over $900 for the 2 of us! No thanks.

Just double check what your credit card insurance covers, evacuation? Medical? Our travel partners incurred $30,000 for an onboard heart attack last January. The NCL insurance went a long way in recouping their “it must be paid before you leave expenses.”

NCL insurance also increases based on the type of cabin booked.  My dad recently booked a cruise for us and said yes to NCL’s travel protection.  We were in a two bedroom penthouse suite and the travel insurance through NCL was over $2000.  When I realized what we were being charged I called NCL.  Extremely rude agent.  We were past the final payment so were out of luck.  Fortunately on the cruise we did not have any need to activate the travel protection but that was a lot money!

We can no longer purchase a year’s coverage of basic travel insurance through our insurance agency.