South Pacific Islands in 2022

WisRiver

We are on a Holland America cruise from San Diego to Sydney in October, 2022.  We have stops in French Polynesia, Tonga and the Cook Islands.  I understand that French Polynesia is allowing cruise ships to dock, but I find little information about Tonga or the Cook Islands.  Holland America says nothing about this itinerary.

We have been on the Paul Gauguin a couple of times which stopped at Rarotonga as well as Aitutaki.  At both they tender to shore, no dock.  About 20% of the time it has been reported to be too rough for tender operations and the port had been cancelled.  Your ship is larger than the PG and perhaps they would have less issues with tendering in as the ship can be positioned to block some of the waves.

Raiatea and Papeete in French Polynesia at the only ones with a dock.  All others require a tender.  Reported that ships larger than 1200 passengers are no longer allowed to stop at Bora Bora.

53 minutes ago, FlightMedic555 said:

We have been on the Paul Gauguin a couple of times which stopped at Rarotonga as well as Aitutaki.  At both they tender to shore, no dock.  About 20% of the time it has been reported to be too rough for tender operations and the port had been cancelled.  Your ship is larger than the PG and perhaps they would have less issues with tendering in as the ship can be positioned to block some of the waves.

Raiatea and Papeete in French Polynesia at the only ones with a dock.  All others require a tender.  Reported that ships larger than 1200 passengers are no longer allowed to stop at Bora Bora.

I suspect because the OP used the phrase "allowing cruise ships to dock"  they're asking about whether Tonga and the Cook Islands are open to cruise ships, not which islands require tendering.  Holland America's itineraries identify which ports require tendering, so it's likely the OP knows those details already.

Edited by njhorseman

On 5/24/2022 at 5:32 AM, WisRiver said:

We are on a Holland America cruise from San Diego to Sydney in October, 2022.  We have stops in French Polynesia, Tonga and the Cook Islands.  I understand that French Polynesia is allowing cruise ships to dock, but I find little information about Tonga or the Cook Islands.  Holland America says nothing about this itinerary.

I have not heard anything about cruise ships been able to go to Tonga due to the Tsunami Damage.

I read a article the other day saying something about cruise ships will be able to go to the cook Island from October.

If I can find the article again, I will share the link.

• 4 weeks later...

It appears many of the island groups in the South Pacific are in the process of reopening in the next few months.  What is unclear is how many of these locations will actually be open to cruise ships.  Does anyone have a good up-to-date source on which ports are open.  

I see where Vanuatu is opening to international tourists on July 1.  But no mention of the port being open, only air travel.  Same for Samoa...open Aug 1,  but no mention of cruise ships.  Best I can figure is that Samoa, Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Papua New Guinea are closed to cruise ships, with no reported opening date.  Anyone hear different?