Jolly's Review: Island Princess Hawaii 2/5/06

RvrCrzr

Island Princess 2006 Review

February 5-20, 2006, Los Angeles to Hawaii to Los Angeles. (15 days)

Total distance traveled: 5,081 nautical miles.

This was our 4th cruise, and our second with Princess Cruise Lines. We are in our early 40’s, and love each cruise for what it is. We flew in to LAX two nights prior, with family and friends. There were 8 adults, and 2 children in our group.

Los Angeles, California

Arrived in LA two nights pre-cruise for some R&R and sightseeing. Took a pre-reserved SuperShuttle from LAX to Best Western Ocean View Hotel, Santa Monica. It overlooks Santa Monica Beach, Santa Monica Pier, and Palisades Park. We had an ocean view with balcony. The hotel was nice, and in a really GREAT location. The beach and pier is right across the street, and the 3rd Street Promenade is only 2 blocks away. This is a great place to spend some time.

Island Princess leaves from Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro, California. We arranged for SuperShuttle to drive us to the pier on sail date. We were told by Princess to arrive AFTER 1pm because there were 3 cruise ships in harbor. We arrived a little before noon, and the short line outside started moving into the terminal shortly thereafter. Porters grabbed our luggage quickly, and were very helpful. We processed through the EXPRESS check-in line quickly and were in our cabin before 1 pm. Getting to the port early was a great choice for us, as we missed standing in HUGE lines later. The people who bought Princess Transfers got there hours after we did, and waited in those long lines.

Tip: Princess Security allows you to carry beer onboard. I bought 6-12 cans in each port and got through every time. They will search all your bags, so don’t try to conceal anything. You can carry beer or soda right out in the open. No worries.

Ratings:

Best Western Ocean View Hotel: C+

Best Western Ocean View area: A

Embarkation: A+

SuperShuttle Service: A+

Porters: A+

Sail Away Party

I enjoy having a nice sail away party at each port, and the first night should be the biggest and the best. Princess put on the lamest party I have ever attended in 4 cruises. The band set up, then disappeared and never played any music. So basically, there wasn’t a party, dancing, or an explanation why. It was over before it started. Everyone went inside right away, as it became cool and breezy on deck as night fell. I later found out one band member didn’t show up onboard so they didn’t play.

Ratings:

Sail Away Party: F

Sea Days

I love sea days! I’d like a cruise that didn’t stop anywhere; so being on a cruise that begins and ends with 5 nights at sea was HEAVEN to me.

Getting around the ship seems a little confusing at first. It gets easier as time goes by. There are many daily activities for those who like to participate. Check your Princess Patter daily.

FYI: If you get confused (on the stateroom decks) as to which way to walk to your cabin from the elevators...a quick look at the carpet in the halls will tell you which side you are on. Port halls have orange borders running down them and Starboard has blue border stripes.

The crossing was pretty rough at times. Seas were mostly mild to moderate. The ship does pitch up and down, side to side quite a bit. Sometimes, walking straight can be a challenge.

TIP: If you are prone to sea sickness, I recommend taking a remedy each day. I would also recommend a cabin near the center of the ship, on a lower deck. The front of the ship seemed to have the most movement. (think of the ship as a teeter-totter) On one occasion, the dance show in the forward theatre was postponed because it was too dangerous for the dancers.

TIP: For those that like to carry a schedule, but like to save their Princess Patter as a keepsake: You can pick up a single page daily activity sheet at Guest Services each day. You can fold it up, and not miss a thing.

TIP: If you like to see the menu each day prior to dinner, you can simply look in the binder located on most bars. There is a Dining Room Menu posted there each day. This can save you a trip to the Dining Room to see it.

FYI: If you book a balcony on this trip, keep in mind it may be windy and cool. Water spray sometimes reaches the highest decks. We found the balcony to be almost useless most sea days coming and going to Hawaii because of this. Even so, I still would have booked the balcony room. Sailing between islands, and while in port are great times to use the area. It’s also nice to have daylight in the cabin. Our group had 3 balconies in a row, and we opened the partitians and had one long balcony.

TIP: There are some nice aft sun decks on Island Princess. There is plenty of sun, and very little wind back there. You can get to them easily through the upper deck public areas. There are also some ‘hidden’ sun decks you can only access through the Port and Starboard stateroom hallways on Aloha and Baja decks. You can have them to yourself for a few days. Word usually gets out, and traffic out there picks up later in the cruise.

FYI: If you like wildlife, keep your eye out for porpoises on the first couple days. We saw large numbers of them near the ship from our balconies.

Hilo, Hawaii

We rented a mini van from Thrifty, and drove up to the Kilauea Volcano. The drive takes around 45 minutes each way. Prepare for rain, and cool weather at the volcano. There are lots of trails and thermal features to see in the park. Thurston Lava Tube was interesting to walk through. This was the most crowded site in the park.

FYI: If you like wildlife, keep your eye out for whales in the morning before entering into Hilo’s harbor. We saw many humpbacks just before reaching the harbor.

FYI: The evening we left Hilo, around 9-10 pm we passed the lava flow where it enters the ocean. It was on the Port side of the ship. You could see the lava flowing down the mountain, and entering the sea. It will be dark, and you will need a really good camera to take a good picture. This spectacle is worth seeing, so don’t miss it!

TIP: If you have a starboard balcony, I suggest viewing the lava from your cabin. Deck rail space on deck 15 is tough to find. It’s crowded with people, and the majority of it has high windows, which limit your view. Get there early if you want your own space, or better yet, stand on the stairs leading to the forward Splash Pool.

FYI: This evening is also the ISLAND NIGHT deck party. Fun, music, games and dancing under the stars. Don’t forget to go in to Horizon Court and see the tropical buffet.

Ratings:

Thrifty Car Rental Hilo: B+

Island Night Party: B

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

This is a tender port. Excursion groups have priority getting on the tenders first. We went on the Capt. Zodiac Excursion. It was fun, but it was a rough ride. Snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay was second to none. Loads of fish, and coral. The area gets a lot of traffic when the Fairwind boat arrives dumping loads of people into the water with you.

Much that Kona has to offer is within walking distance of the tender port. Tender lines can get long near the end of the day. The lines move pretty quickly, however.

I had planned a trip to a coffee farm, and reserved a rental car from the Dollar Rental place at the King K. Hotel. There was a Chinese New Year celebration going on, streets were blocked, and traffic was a nightmare. I skipped picking up the car, checked out the town, and joined the celebration. I also paid a visit to Rainbow Falls Tattoo shop for a permanent souvenir. Very nice people, and great work.

Ratings:

Capt. Zodiac Excursion: B

Kealakekua Bay as a snorkeling spot: A+

Rainbow Falls Tattoo: A

Nawiliwili, Kauai

A lush tropical island, much of which is inaccessible by car. This is one of the best islands for a helicopter tour. We booked a helicopter tour ourselves with Island Helicopters. The flight was beautiful, and the pilot very skillful and friendly.

Here is something upsetting which happened to us, with Island Helicopters:

My wife and I were split up at the last possible minute, and put in different helicopters. We were not given an explanation, nor the opportunity to fly at a different time together. They split another couple up at the same time, and they were just as mad. My wife had to be talked into this excursion in the first place (pre-cruise, by me), because she sometimes has anxiety problems. This situation upset her a lot, and really created quite a problem for us. We were assured in the beginning that we’d fly together on the helicopter.

They also changed our flight time without telling us until I called to confirm 48 hours prior. Then, after the flight, they told us that the free video offered on the website was no longer available. We complained, which made them very agitated with us. They said they’d mail them to us. The shuttle driver dropped us off at the Thrifty Car Rental, as requested…but acted like a jerk after the video snafu. Long story short, I would not recommend Island Helicopters as an excursion.

We rented a convertible from Thrifty, and headed to Poipu Beach Park. Great snorkeling, nice sand, and a swimming area for small children.

TIP: When you rent a car at any of the islands, it’s best to reserve it far ahead…as they can sell out. When you pick up the car, ask for a map, and pay close attention to the location so you can find the return spot. It’s sometimes at a different location than where you pick up the car.

Ratings:

Island Helicopters flight and pilot: A

Island Helicopters management, and business practices: F

Kauai scenery from helicopter point of view: A+

Thrifty Kauai: A

Honolulu, Oahu

The ship docks at Aloha Tower Marketplace. (ATM) It’s a fun place to eat, drink, and shop.

We took the Princess tour: USS Arizona & City Tour. The tour was good, but did not go where advertised. Because of long waiting times at USS AZ, we didn’t get to go all places, such as the Pali Lookout as they advertised. Shuttles, buses, and taxis can be had right at the front entrance to Aloha Tower Marketplace.

We took a taxi to Waikiki for $17 one way. We attended the Royal Hawaiian Luau, which was very good. You receive a lei greeting, a couple free Mai Tai’s, and a photographer will take your picture and offer it to you for $20. The hotel is very nice, the seating was great, and it can all take place indoors if the weather is less than nice. Walls are open to the beach, with a spectacular view of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head. The show was good, the buffet food was good, and the price was ok. We caught a taxi at the front door, and headed back to Aloha Tower for $14. We even had time for pitchers of beers at Hooters Honolulu before boarding the ship at 10:30pm.

TIP: If you are attending the Royal Hawaiian Luau, check their website for a coupon. We received 20% off with the coupon offered on each admission. Reserve early, they sell out. This luau is only done on Mondays.

FYI: If you want to get from the ship to Waikiki area…a free shuttle can be caught at ATM going to Ala Moana Mall. You can then catch the free shuttle to the Waikiki area. This is the FREE method of getting from the ship to Waikiki. The free shuttles look like trolley cars.

~The next cheapest way to get to Waikiki area is by bus. The stop is right outside in front of ATM, and it costs a couple bucks.

Ratings:

Princess excursion; USS AZ & city tour: A-

Royal Hawaiian Luau: A

USS AZ as a must do attraction: A+

Hooters: A

Lahaina, Maui

This is a tender port.

We took the Whale Watch excursion, and saw many whales. We were lucky to see a couple of male humpbacks fighting over a female at pretty close range. The excursion boat is nice, with shade on the lower deck if needed. The boat rocks pretty good if the swells are big, so take your meds if you get seasick. There were a few sick people on our boat. The channel between Maui and Lanai can get pretty rough.

We had a rental car reserved with Enterprise after the excursion but never used it. We called for the shuttle, and it never came. I tried calling for an hour straight and the calls went unanswered. We took the shuttle to Hilo Hatties, and just walked the town shopping the rest of the day.

TIP: The old courthouse in front of the famous Banyan Tree has restrooms, and really cool free walking maps of Lahaina.

Ratings:

Princess excursion; Maui Whale Watch Tour: A-

Enterprise Rental, Kaanapali: F

Ensenada, Mexico

Only a four hour stopover here. Shuttle buses line up outside the shopping center at the pier. They will take you to town for $2 each person, each way. There are loads of shops, restaurants, and bars in town. Downtown Ensenada is a fun place to shop. There are people lining the sidewalks selling things but they aren’t overly aggressive.

FYI: The Shopping Center at the pier is very small. You can buy souvenirs, liquor, and sundries there, but not much else. There is a little bar in there with a really nice, old bartender. Some of the ship’s crewmembers stop for drinks there, and are fun to talk with.

Los Angeles, California

Disembarkation: Went pretty smoothly, even though there were 3 ships in harbor. You tag your luggage and set it out in the hall before 8pm the last night. You will be called to Customs by your luggage tag color, and process through. Then you go to a public place to relax until you are again called to leave the ship. We lounged on deck in the warm sun.

There is no luggage carousel; they just put the luggage out according to your tag colors. Getting a porter was difficult, but only because of the bad management of the Princess Transfer program! We dragged all our own bags out to the transfer bus waiting area.

FYI: The Princess Transfer program was all messed up at disembarkation. This REALLY needs improvement. We waited in line WAY too long to board a bus out of there. Many people missed flights, or were very rushed to make it. Our bus line was over 2 city blocks long to board 1 bus! You would think they would have it all together since they do it so often…but they don’t. My advice is; SKIP THE TRANSFERS and grab a shuttle or taxi to the airport.

FYI: LAX needs to get it together as well. The line for security to x-ray your bags gets way too long, and needs to be relocated. Then, after that long wait, you wait in another huge line to go through security. (ie…huge line, one security checkpoint out of 6 open)

FYI: The pier porters were much nicer, and more helpful here than the ones in Miami, FL. Not once was I given any grief, did they demand a specific amount dollar amount, or were my suitcases threatened…as porters do in Miami. Those thugs try to intimidate you into paying them way too much to toss a couple suitcases in a bin. (payment to ensure your luggage “arrives safely” on your ship)

Ratings:

Disembarkation: A

LAX Security Setup & Operation: D+

Porters: N/A (dragged my own cases)

Princess Transfer Program Management: F

Conclusion:

I knew when I booked this cruise that the majority of the people on this cruise would be in the…older range. It’s a long, pricey cruise…and who has more time and money than retired folks? I don’t mind much, but we were clearly some of the youngest passengers onboard.

Dining & Food:

Food is very subjective, but here is what I found:

I liked each and every meal I had in the dining room, and our servers were outstanding. The Head Waiter came by each night, and was very nice

Breakfast and lunch service is sometimes hit and miss, but the food was always good, and the company interesting. I’m still not a big fan of Princess dining rooms. They are very understated compared with Royal Caribbean ships.

I’m not a big fan of ANY buffet, and Horizon Court was no exception. It’s a place I only ate out of convenience a few times for breakfast mostly. Many people thought it was great, but I didn’t.

We had dinner in the Bayou Café ($15 each), and it was great. The Carpetbagger Filet was the best steak I’ve ever eaten! Worth every penny.

I loved the Pizza, and all the food at Princess Grill. I didn’t care much for the ice cream at the Lotus Pool area either. Ice cream was better in the dining room, and it was free there.

Ratings:

Provence Dining Room Food: A-

Provence Dining Staff: A-

Bayou Café Food & Staff: A+

Horizon Court Buffet: D+

Princess Grill & Pizzeria: B

Coffee Rating: I love coffee, and find most cruise ship coffee is pretty bad. Princess coffee is pretty bad as well. I brought my own coffee maker, and made it in my stateroom. This is a good cruise to do it on, as you can buy some great coffee in the islands!

The coffee is different at each location, so I rated it:

Dining Room: C-

La Patisserie: C+

Horizon Court: F (totally undrinkable…and I’m not kidding)

Bayou Café: C-

Entertainment:

Bands were ok, and most shows too. I’m not big on most of them, but I liked the comedy stuff. I know this wasn’t a Caribbean cruise…but I sure missed the steel drum music!

Activities:

I liked most of the Cruise Directors staff, and activities. I got involved in a few, such as Battle of the Sexes, (I was Captain, and Men won) and The Princess Survivor Challenge. ( I placed 2nd, under unfair protest! :D )

Ship:

I have loved every ship I’ve been on, and Island Princess is no exception. She’s beautiful, and kept up well. I do think Royal Caribbean’s ships have much more of a WOW factor, and seem more elegant. Princess atriums all look the same, and are no where near as impressive as RCI ships.

Spa:

A very nice spa package is available. We paid $150 for 2 people to use the Sanctuary as often as we liked. There are several aromatherapy steam rooms, showers, saunas, heated beds to use. Very relaxing.

Overall:

We liked this cruise very much. Hawaii is beautiful, and I loved all the sea days! The crossing is cool, rough, and windy, so pack and dress accordingly. Most everything met or exceeded our expectations.

I'm standing by for any questions you may have.

We had BC cat. cabin on Port side bumpout. (B420)

It would have been nicer to have a Starboard balcony in Honolulu and during the lava flow. (big island) The rest of the time Port was just fine. We faced the dock in Kauai, and Hilo.

I liked the bumpout, where our balcony couldn't be looked down from above like some others.

I've never sailed with Princess before and I'm booked on the Island 2-10-07. I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated your review. You answered quite a few questions that I had and at least I now I have some ideas as to what to pack and where to go etc.

One question though, was there any place near your hotel or the pier in which to buy some wine, soda and water? I'd like to take some along, but only if I can buy it locally.

Thanks....Mary

What a great review...thanks for sharing. We did the Hawaii cruise with Celebrity in 2003, Honolulu to Ensenada. We loved it but it would have been much nicer to have been able to disembark in LA or San Diego instead of Ensenada.

Also one our cruise back from Honolulu, we found it surprisingly cool. We would be up on a pool deck chair wrapped up in towels and sweats but we were determined to be out there.

And I agree with you on the sea days - those are my favorite and like you I wouldn't mind a cruise to nowhere.

Thanks again!

I sailed on the Island on the 1/21/06 cruuise, and loved every minute of it. So much so that we are planning to repeat this cruise on this ship in 2008.

We booked pre and post cruise hotel with Princess, and stayed at the Airport Marriott for a very low price in a gorgeous hotel. We also used the Ptincess transfers, which worked very well for 2 senior ladies who had never been to LA. The transfers worked out fine; there was a bit of a line to get thru at check-in, but not problematic, as everyone was too happy and excited to be griping.

The ship is beautiful and well appointed. We had a balcony cabin on the starboard side (planned that way for the night viewing of the lava flow during the sail from Hilo to Kona. We were on the Caribe deck in the mid-ship bump-out area. The activities schedule has something for everyone, if one is interested. The daily movies on sea days were recent films, several of them comedies. There was an excellent naturalist/Hawaii historian, Dr. Bob Bassa, who had a daily presentation each sea day, both directions. He drew near-full theater crowds. I do know from asking him that he only does this on some sailings.

Each of the ports had something different to offer. On Hilo we took the Volcanoes Nat'l Park excursion. The weather was less than ideal (rainy) but the excursion was still excellent. In Kona, we went on the glass bottom Boat and really enjoyed it. We were concerned that it might not be a good tour, but turned out we loved it and saw a lot of coral and colorful fish. The others on the boat with us were also very pleased. After the tour we had plenty of time to sightsee and shop. In Honolulu we took the USS Arizona and City tour. We did have to wait about 1 1/2 hours for our visit to the memorial, but the grounds are lovely and have lots of historical info to see (ie. museum). The visit to the memorial was very touching. We also enjoyed the city tour portion, and we did get to go up to the Pali Lookout. The views were breathtaking. Our driver/guide was a Honolulu police officer who drove tours part time, and he knew the city very well. After the tour, we shopped - took shuttle to Hilo Hatties. Neat place!

On Kauai we did not schedule any excursion. Instead, we used the free shuttles for another shopping visit to Hilo Hatties. After returning to the ship, we dressed for the beach and took the Anchor Bay free shuttle to the nearby beach. Nice little beach, clean and quiet , in front of a hotel.On Maui we went on the whale watching excursion and saw many humpback whales. What a thrill. After that we strolled around Lahina and visited many shops. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere there.

The sea days on the return trip were pleasant and relaxing. We dined at the Bayou Cafe one night with our CC friends and had a wonderful meal. Overall we found the food to be very good, including the Horizon Court buffet. The meals we chose to have in the dining room were also very good, and the service was always excellent. We enjoyed meeting new people at each meal.

We were unable to go ashore in Ensenada because there were 3 ships already there, and on one that should have left, their captain had died and they were waiting for a new captain to arrive so they could depart port. No big loss, not being able to go ashore, according to others who had been there before. We sat at anchor outside the harbor while the Jones Act formalities were taken care of. Later in the evening we sailed for San Pedro. Knowing it was our last night was sad.

Disembarkment proceeded the following morning with no major hitches. There was a bit of a wait to board the buses to the hotel, but that was due to the need of many PAX to get to the airport for their homeward flights. There were some very impatient PAX who were only concerned with their burning desire to get to the hotel NOW(!), and they made it unpleasant for those of us who knew we WOULD get there. Don't know what their big rush was. Guess they just couldn't stand not being in control.

We were very fortunate in meeting with fellow CCers. On the 1st sea day, the CD set up a time and place, provided us with champagne and snacks, and left us to get acquainted. We had a wonderful time with them throughout the cruise, and are staying in touch.

Anyway, the entire cruise was a wonderful experience, and is one to be repeated.

Mary...

There was a VONS supermarket about 5 blocks from our hotel (Best Western Ocean View) where we purchased beer, water, snacks, sodas, etc. We just hiked it, but cabs and buses were everywhere.

There is also a liquor store on the same block where you could buy some stuff...it was just a tiny store with a little higher prices.

I didn't see any shops at the San Pedro Pier area. It's mostly industrial. If you had a car...there are probably places outside the terminal area on the way in. I just didn't see any.

We ended up keeping the bar tab down to around $200 by bringing beer onboard. We still bought beer and foo foo drinks onboard. We don't drink much soda, but soda cards were sold for around $53 for adults.

THE CROSSING:

I found the weather to be pleasant, but cool. (keep in mind I live in North Dakota, and left -50 wind chills before cruise) Every day on the way to Hawaii was windy and cool. (50's, and a few degrees warmer each day) Many were wearing coverups, or light jackets outside. The sun was still shining...you deck chairs were being used for sunning. You just have to find a spot out of the wind. If you walk the Promenade...you pretty much need a jacket. Wind howls down it pretty hard. We had frequent rain squalls, but it was usually partly cloudy to sunny. Water was mild to moderate. Last sea day before Hilo was REALLY rough. They postponed the dance show that night for safety reasons. Most swells were under 3-12 ft, so it wasn't too bad. (I've been in 22' seas before)

My advice would be...bring a jacket for rain, wind, and warmth. I brought a light fleece jacket, and a rain coat. I used them both.

And don't worry about bringing so many clothes. I still had things I never wore after 15 days! Also, factor in any t-shirts or Aloha Shirts you may buy on the islands. We just used the self serve laundry when needed. It's close to the aft end of the ship...so you can just pop in your laundry, grab a drink and head out to the aft deck nearby and get some sun while watching the wake. Just remember...the laundry room got real popular about the time we got to the islands...so do it a couple days before you get there. No waiting.

We had a good time in Ensenada. We grabbed the $2 shuttle to downtown and did some shopping. There are shops everywhere. It's a great place to buy last minute souvenirs. (or drink some good cervasa!)

We were one of the first people off, and last onboard at this stop.

Join us on the Island April 26th 2007 :D

Well Larry I sure would but am going on a sort of reunion cruise with 5 special people I met on the Sapphire cruise roll call. We have been yakking and talking for almost 2 years, otherwise I would jump at the chance. Thanks.

Marilyn

We didn't bother with rental cars and we were glad. But then we went on three excursions through the ship -- Honolulu, Lahaina and Hilo. We also used a cab in Honolulu to drop us at a Longs to buy more water, sodas and some souvenirs. In Kauai, the shuttles took us everywhere we wanted to go -- we used the Anchor Cove one too and used the beach there.

Unfortunately we couldn't go to Kona so we ended up all day at Ensenada (been there, done that too many times).

I thought it was interesting that a couple of times, the in-cabin movies were dedicated to movies set in Hawaii.

Does anyone know who the current Cruise Director is on the Island Princess?

Richard Joseph. And what a cruise director he is. I never thought the individual who inhabited the cruise director position really had that much influence on my enjoyment of a cruise, but Richard Joseph is a real gem. Changed my opinion. He's fantastic.

Jackie

Richard Joseph. And what a cruise director he is. I never thought the individual who inhabited the cruise director position really had that much influence on my enjoyment of a cruise, but Richard Joseph is a real gem. Changed my opinion. He's fantastic.
Thanks for the info!

Jackie

Jackie...

I didn't care for Richard Joesph much at first. I was pretty mad when I didn't get invited to the Cruise Critic party he had set up. I didn't find out about it until it was starting at the Explorers Club. My sister in law told me about it a few minutes before, but I already had plans made by then. She must have told Rich this, and he came and found me and apologized and invited me. It turns out he got our party a little mixed up because our last names were the same, and my sister in law had BOTH invitations.

I changed my mind about Rich at that point. He went out of his way for me...and that was really great. I should have gone to the CC party...but I was still a little ticked off at the time. I showed up at the end and hung out around the bar while you were all taking pics and dancing.

Rich is a good man.

Jolly...what a well written review. Interesting reading and even the things that weren't pleasing to you were written objectively. Do you remember the name of the tour company Princess used for the whale watching excursion you were on? Hope our upcoming cruise on the Island will be as positive as yours was.

Aloha...

Thanks. I try to be objective, because it was just MY experience. That doesn't always mean the next person will be treated that way, or experience it in the same way. I expect some things to go wrong, and usually have a plan b ready. Glad you enjoyed it.

Here is the link to the whale watch company Princess used:

http://www.whalewatchmaui.com/vessel.html

In the 3 boat photos shown there, we were on the one in the middle.

• 1 month later...

Great information! Thanks! We'll be making this trip 12/5/06, and are really looking forward to it. This answered so many questions, and now I'm glad we have a starboard cabin reserved. We were on Sapphire Princess in February -- my husband's first cruise -- and he his now a certified addict. We lived on Maui for a few years, until 1996. At that time, it seemed that the best value for Hawaii souvenirs, leis, etc., was K-Mart in Kahului. Lahaina is pretty much a rip-off. (Although Hilo Hattie's in Lahaina has some good quality clothing; I'm still wearing some after 10 years.) Aloha...

Welcome! I visited Hilo Hatties in Lahaina. There is a branch of Maui Divers Jewelry in there. I bought my DW some jewelry there. (It was Valentine's Day) It was VERY nice stuff, but pricey.

Of course, we bought plenty other soveniers as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Archived