White Pass Scenic Railway - Luxury Train Ride Canceled...5/31 Miracle

norcalal

Several Carnival excursions on my May 2 Alaska cruise were canceled due to lack of staffing and supply chain issues by the vendors. I believe the excursion you mention has a host to provide narration during the trip and also serves drinks and food. It is likely they don’t have enough staff and / or supplies to provide the experience expected.

If your trip included the train one way and a bus back, that is the reason it is cancelled.

To do that excursion, one must cross into Canada to either board the train or board the bus.

White Pass Railroad is only doing round trips from its depot to the summit and back.

Carnival also cancelled the Whale Quest & Orca Point Lodge excursion on the same sailing.  No explanation just an email stating it was cancelled and that our payment would be credited back onto our credit card. We booked a different whale/salmon bake excursion for an additional $40 per person. I am hoping for no more cancellations. 

2 minutes ago, Loritd said:

Carnival also cancelled the Whale Quest & Orca Point Lodge excursion on the same sailing.  No explanation just an email stating it was cancelled and that our payment would be credited back onto our credit card. We booked a different whale/salmon bake excursion for an additional $40 per person. I am hoping for no more cancellations. 

I would seriously consider canceling any excursions you have booked through Carnival and book independently. Multiple excursions were canceled by Carnival on my early May cruise. Those who booked independently had better results.

• 4 weeks later...

We did not receive a cancellation email for whale and orca point.  To date, no refund was issue (nearly a month after it was cancelled - learned from the rep it was cancelled on 21-MAY).

I’ve been on a call for about  half an hour and the rep “isn’t authorized to refund me” so now I’m on hold for another department. He came back and said he has to submit a report to a team who will issue my refund after reviewing the error report. 

eyyyyyy. 

I talked to the lodge and learned their hours are modified due to staffing and they won’t be open the day Miracle sails there.  We are not going to reschedule anything for Juneau. 

Edited by WIChick27

Someone mentioned the salmon bake; I remember when we cruised pre-Covid, the salmon bake excursion was not even open for early July. Offered beginning mid-July.

We loved the WPRailroad trip into the Yukon; however, I'd settle for the ride to the summit that is only available this season. Never know how often one may make it back to Alaska.

The more of these changes and cancellations that I hear about, make me believe we will not be re-booking our Alaskan trip for quite awhile.  An Alaskan trip is a very expensive cruise to take and to have all of the important excursions not being available cancelled is very disappointing.  When we had our 2020 Cruise cancelled I never thought we would be 2 years later and still not being able to re-book.  Maybe 2025, things might be back to somewhat normal? 😂

• Like 1

This was one of our favorite excursions. We took it a few years ago on the Solstice. Having a seat in that back (luxury) car was really nice. Being a morning trip though, I didn't take full advantage of the open bar (fridge)!

20150609_075500-L.jpg

20150609_075450-L.jpg

20150609_110805-L.jpg

7 minutes ago, Green4me said:

Have done this trip twice while on Princess cruises.  Both times we booked directly with the White Pass RR.  Less $, fewer peeps in the car, loved it.

Safe travels 🙂 

Cool - didn't know you could do that.

1 hour ago, Green4me said:

Have done this trip twice while on Princess cruises.  Both times we booked directly with the White Pass RR.  Less $, fewer peeps in the car, loved it.

Safe travels 🙂 

We also booked directly with White Pass in 2014 on the Miracle. I checked just this week to see if it is possible to book the Yukon excursion through them yet and it is still saying cancelled for the season. 

You guys have hit the nail on the head. My two favorite leisure activities of all time; Carnival Cruising and Train Rides. Never been attracted to the Alaska cruise thing because my idea of cruising doesn't include heavy coats, long pants and jackets!   

Enjoy the Cruise wherever it takes you!