Klondike highway crossing into Canada and back.

wdblake

One of our favorite things to do in Skagway is to rent a car and drive to Emerald lake on the Klondike highway. However with Covid being what it is can we still do this? Is there a testing requirement? You have to go a little ways into Canada and I would hate to be surprised and stopped at the border and refused entry or reentry back to the US.

We just did this a couple of weeks ago and it was not problem at all. We rented a car from Avis and drove to Emerald Lake and back, including an extended stop at Caribou Crossing. It was great!

At the border entering Canada you will need to show your passports and your QR code showing you have registered on ArriveCAN documenting your entry plans by car at the Fraser entry point within 72 hours. I did it the day before when we were in Juneau. Coming back into the US you just show your passports.

It was as beautiful as I remember. One of the best days of our cruise!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, sjde said:

I heard the train isn't going into Canada anymore since Covid. Would it be different if not a train?

The train isn't going past the summit into Canada but you can still drive in yourself or take a bus tour. There were a number of bus tours going the day we drove up.

• Like 1

I didn't rent a car but took the tour up to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot just last week. Very easy processing through both customs. We had to confirm our passport and ArriveCan info with Chilkoot prior to the tour. This was my favorite excursion and Best Day of the cruise.