What are you looking forward to the most!

My app says "21 days 6 hours 31 minutes " until we cruise!!!! I have just spent last couple of hours making chicken & vegetable soup from scratch, necessary to combat the Melbourne cold weather lol. Then I;ve cleaned up the mess. And it got me thinking. Apart from the sea and hopefully sun and beautiful scenery, I am MOST looking forward to now having to decide what we are eating (which is the hardest bit), shop for that food, make that food, clean up after making the food!!!! For every meal, snack, drink, morning or afternoon tea for 17 whole days! I am not going to make the bed (which I incidentally never do because last one out makes it in our house hehehe. OR do any housework. No wonder I love cruising lol.

• Like 4

I think just being able to get up and not worry about work, school, housework, cooking etc for 13 days.  The thing about the last couple of years is that it's been so much harder to just get away for a few days to reset the body and mind... So we are very much looking forward to our first post-covid cruise in Jan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, losfp said:

I think just being able to get up and not worry about work, school, housework, cooking etc for 13 days.  The thing about the last couple of years is that it's been so much harder to just get away for a few days to reset the body and mind... So we are very much looking forward to our first post-covid cruise in Jan.

Thats all very true losfp. I honestly dont even mind if I never leave the ship for the 17 days we are on lol.

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

I could write a list of what I am looking forward to -

Meeting people at meal times

Meals in the dining room

Shows in the theatre

No housework or cooking

Sitting on the balcony with a drink, or a book, and watching the ocean

Nice! Perhaps you could start a recommended book topic LOL. Drama? crime? murder mystery? Whats your forte lol

3 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Nice! Perhaps you could start a recommended book topic LOL. Drama? crime? murder mystery? Whats your forte lol

Probably all of those. I usually take a couple of paperbacks that I leave on the ship. For longer cruises, I take a heap of books. I am happy to pass them on to you if you if you like.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

Probably all of those. I usually take a couple of paperbacks that I leave on the ship. For longer cruises, I take a heap of books. I am happy to pass them on to you if you if you like.

One of my best reads was "The Good Cop" with Ron Iddles. And I love anything (movies, books etc) about the whitehouse..... as in Angel has fallen, white house down, espionage type of stuff lol. I too am happy to leave paperbacks onboard.

What I am looking forward to:

• Meals prepared by someone else
  • Washing up done by someone else
  • Drinks made by someone else

What might shock me:

• how small portion sizes have become. Just came back from a work lunch at a 'gastropub' and paid $19.50 for 2 tiny pieces of chicken schnitzel and $15 for a small glass of wine!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Snoopkat said:

What might shock me:

• how small portion sizes have become. Just came back from a work lunch at a 'gastropub' and paid $19.50 for 2 tiny pieces of chicken schnitzel and $15 for a small glass of wine!

On a cruise, you can order as many courses as you want. 🙂 My standard order on formal night when beef Wellington and lobster are both on the menu, is to order both.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snoopkat said:

What might shock me:

So you mean portion sizes onboard or at your local???

No cooking or cleaning.

The fresh sea air.

Enjoying a cocktail in one of the bars with live entertainment.

Trivia.

The variety of choices on the MDR menus.

Meeting new people. 

Enjoying a show in the theatre 

Walking the promenade deck.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Our Kindles will be loaded with books, as will our spare Kindles. I'm a speed reader so Kindles have made travel so much easier for me. 

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Our Kindles will be loaded with books, as will our spare Kindles. I'm a speed reader so Kindles have made travel so much easier for me. 

It’s something I’ve never even looked at. I regularly borrow library books which of course I’d never take when air/cruise travel just in case something happened to them. But it’s worth the thought! Cos im a speed reader too 🥳

11 minutes ago, Snoopkat said:

Washing up done by someone else

On that note, I wish I was just about to get onto a cruise. Our dishwasher just broke down and it'll take a few days to get a replacement in. So I have to go back to the old method of handwashing lol.

1 minute ago, losfp said:

On that note, I wish I was just about to get onto a cruise. Our dishwasher just broke down and it'll take a few days to get a replacement in. So I have to go back to the old method of handwashing lol.

Oh no!

Just now, Cbtours said:

It’s something I’ve never even looked at. I regularly borrow library books which of course I’d never take when air/cruise travel just in case something happened to them. But it’s worth the thought! Cos im a speed reader too 🥳

We've had Kindles for over 12 years now. As well as being able to hold hundreds of books (they do clag up if you have too many downloaded though but they're all stored in the Amazon cloud if you remove the download), you can change the font size to suit your eyes and reading speed. Some Kindles come with a built in light which is fantastic. The brightness is variable, I can read in bed at night and it doesn't disturb Rolf. I also use it as a torch when going to the bathroom at night so I don't have to put the bathroom light on. The gentler light from the Kindle doesn't disturb my sleep patterns as much. Also it's not a blue light like phones, it's some sort of special light layer that is very easy on your eyes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

But it’s worth the thought! Cos im a speed reader too 🥳

I haven't looked back since I bought my kindle. Best buy I ever made for cruising.

What I'm looking foward to the most is my own time in which I don't have to look at a clock to see if it's time I was in the kitchen.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, losfp said:

I feel for you.

Rolf's espresso machine has just gone in for a minor repair and service. He's reduced to having plunger coffee. 😯 And I can't have my afternoon latte.😪

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've had Kindles for over 12 years now. As well as being able to hold hundreds of books (they do clag up if you have too many downloaded though but they're all stored in the Amazon cloud if you remove the download), you can change the font size to suit your eyes and reading speed. Some Kindles come with a built in light which is fantastic. The brightness is variable, I can read in bed at night and it doesn't disturb Rolf. I also use it as a torch when going to the bathroom at night so I don't have to put the bathroom light on. The gentler light from the Kindle doesn't disturb my sleep patterns as much. Also it's not a blue light like phones, it's some sort of special light layer that is very easy on your eyes.

Sounds good. I’ll put it on my investigation list. It’s good to have a present bucket list in case the kids ask lol

1 minute ago, sewgood said:

I haven't looked back since I bought my kindle. Best buy I ever made for cruising.

What I'm looking foward to the most is my own time in which I don't have to look at a clock to see if it's time I was in the kitchen.

Love it 🥳

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I also use it as a torch when going to the bathroom at night so I don't have to put the bathroom light on.

I do this too. It's not so harsh on the eyes.

• Like 1

I like to hold a book. Peter has a kindle but it hasn't interested me.

Re bathroom light - At home we have an LED light that is permanently in the power point. It only activates when the light level is quite low. I am considering taking it with us but because it is designed for Aussie power points we might have to plug it into an adaptor. I expect there will be Aust power points in the cabin, but on the Sea/Sun/Dawn Princess I don't think there was one in the bathroom.

• Like 1

Just now, sewgood said:

But you have to look to see if it's time to go to the MDR three times a day 🤣 unless, of course, you prefer the buffet.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I feel for you.

Rolf's espresso machine has just gone in for a minor repair and service. He's reduced to having plunger coffee. 😯 And I can't have my afternoon latte.😪

Poor Rolf!