Help needed for Italy train tickets

SusieKIslandGirl

Thanks to everyone for the help and information. I was able to get our Rome/Florence tickets online from the Trenitalia website. Now it will be a matter of finding the correct train at the Rome Terminal station in November. Looking forward to the new adventure!

13 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Thanks to everyone for the help and information. I was able to get our Rome/Florence tickets online from the Trenitalia website. Now it will be a matter of finding the correct train at the Rome Terminal station in November. Looking forward to the new adventure!

The track numbers appear on the huge screens located both at the head of the tracks and also in the large hall just before you enter the area where the tracks are. Don't panic -- they usually don't show up until around 15 minutes before departure, although it can be even less. Just be watching and be ready to scoot to your track. (Might be worthwhile to get the "lay of the land" when you first arrive so that you have a rough idea which way the tracks are numbered.

• Thanks 1

I used Pay Pal. And I paid in Euros. 2 nights ago my 117.80 Euro fare was then charged as $118.48 USD on my BofA credit card. Great exchange rate for us at the moment.

Do tickets need to be stamped or validated before boarding? I do plan on being early to roam the station and check things out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stupid question....planning to do a day trip from Rome Termini to Florence. Business Class. 2 people. So we'll be picking the 2 seaters that face one another. Does all of the seats have full window view? 

This sounds strange, but just making sure that I can pick any section that's available, or should I be looking at certain graphics that tells me the window location? 

Thanks for the help! 

14 hours ago, seapad said:

I have a stupid question....planning to do a day trip from Rome Termini to Florence. Business Class. 2 people. So we'll be picking the 2 seaters that face one another. Does all of the seats have full window view? 

This sounds strange, but just making sure that I can pick any section that's available, or should I be looking at certain graphics that tells me the window location? 

Thanks for the help! 

I really haven’t noticed a lack of view in Trenitalia business.  The windows are really big.  

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 7:04 PM, Missymssy said:

Will this likely cause credit card company to put a hold on card? Fraud protection?

We have purchased many trenitalia tickets on the web over the years.  

Never had a credit card refused or put on hold.   But...it has been three or four years since we did this.  Last month we purchased at least six on line rail tickets in Portugal. No issue whatsoever, no holds.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:04 PM, Missymssy said:

Will this likely cause credit card company to put a hold on card? Fraud protection?

Depends on your card issuer, I'd think. 

I have a Capital One card with travel benefits and I use it for the majority of overseas purchases by credit card. I have my account set up so that I get a text whenever there is an "out of country" transaction -- and I can immediately review it. The onus is on me to respond if it is fraudulent. Due to this, they don't normally block any transactions.

19 hours ago, seapad said:

Thanks for the help! 

Can't absolutely guarantee it, but anytime I've sat in that configuration, the seats are aligned with the windows so that each "set" has a view, as per below:

See the source image

• Like 1

We have done that trip several times...both ways.  Always had a seat with a window.

However, as I recall there is really not that much to see.  It is quite a dull trip once you leave the Rome environs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iancal said:

We have done that trip several times...both ways.  Always had a seat with a window.

However, as I recall there is really not that much to see.  It is quite a dull trip once you leave the Rome environs.

I watch the Umbrian and Tuscan countryside whiz past while listening to Andrea Bocelli.  What could be better?