Emerald Wine Lists

waldorf

Just on Emerald Luna, the wine list is incredibly poor, just three white wines to choose from and at dinner you only have a choice of white or red! I’d never have booked if I’d known the selection was so limited, it wouldn’t be as bad if the wines they had were any good, they’re not.

I asked if they had any New Zealand wines and was told it’s too far away!!

Sorry Emerald, I had much higher expectations, don’t think I’ll be joining you again. 

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Waldorf I doubt you will find New World wines on a European cruise but I’m surprised at only three whites, how many reds?

Same, 3 reds plus some rose. I’ve had new world wines on other river cruises. Emerald’s wine offering is abysmal. 

12 hours ago, waldorf said:

No, this is the complete wine list!

Goodness me! Not what is implied on their website which says

Delicious hand-picked wines
When it comes to wine, our expert sommeliers hand-pick a selection of the local area’s finest for you to enjoy throughout your time on-board. From robust reds to delicate whites, you'll find that each wine served will showcase the best of what the surrounding region has to offer.

PREMIUM PACKAGE
Why limit your choice if you can have it all? The entire beverage menu is yours all day long: from an international selection on draft/bottled beer to cocktails, long drinks as well as wine and Prosecco by the glass (sparkling wine). 

Why pay for the Premium Package if there's only 3 white wines to choose from?

Regarding non-appearance of New World wines, the web site does say that wines come from the local area.

On my Viking cruise last month the four page list had wines from the countries we were in (Germany & France) and countries where Viking cruised. So no OZ or NZ wine, but 4 wines from the USA -3 reds from California, one white from Washington State, also Austria, Portugal, Italy and Spain.

These are the three white wines available, I signed up for the premium drinks package, what an error!

White Wines

“Grüner Veltliner, Mörwald, Wagram, Austria
Marsanne Premiere Note Collines, hone Valley, France
Chardonnay Reserve de la Baumé, Languedoc-Roussillon, France”

Red Wines

Bluer Zweigelt, Mörwald Winery, Wagram, Austria
Syrah Premier Note, Rhodaniennes, hone Valley, France
Cotes du Rhone Les Cassagnes, Rhone Valley, France

There are lots of cocktails available plus beers etc but wine is limited. 

Oh dear...

For years, when  the Viking fleet was very much smaller the two Morwald wines were labelled especially for Viking and were the complimenary wines with meals.

They are very pleasant and not cheapo choices, but I would feel as aggrieved as you are to pay €49 per couple, per day, for such a limited choice.

Have you made a formal complaint to Emerald? And what were the complimentary wines?

Below, Erhard Morwald, owner/winemaker Morwald Winery in Austria with his 'ideal' wine glass. He said his wife limited him to one glass a day 🙂

erhard-morwald.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did complain to the Bar Manager but to no avail. The complimentary wines changed each day but there was only a choice or white or red! If any wine was leftover I was able to request it in the bar the next day but it was hit and miss as we weren’t keen on the wines quite a few times. 

I ended up drinking more gin! I heard a few others mentioning the limited wine selection. 

It was a nice cruise but the wine issue would prevent me sailing with Emerald again, including the Emerald Yachts. 

• 1 year later...

I know this is coming well after the most recent posts, but I’m curious and a little concerned about the wines listed in this thread as compared to what’s currently in Emerald’s website. This is what the list shows as available now…can anyone confirm? 

https://www.emeraldcruises.com/river-cruises/river-cruising-experience/drinks

Edited by JustKeepCruising23

I don't know what you're expecting @JustKeepCruising23 but I don't think what is on the site is a 'list' nor that the same wines will appear on every boat, on every route and throughout the year. Indeed they state 'Please note drinks may vary by itinerary and ship'

If we look with a critical* eye at that list:

Chardonnay, France - France is a big country. It's more likely to be a co-operative or branded wine from Languedoc than Burgundy or Chablis, indeed they would state so if it was.

Pinot Grigio, Italy - there's a huge amount of this wine made and most is very cheap

Sauvignon de Loire, France - note, not Sancerre or Pouilly Fume

Pinot Noir, USA - well.... why would Americans drink wines they can easily get at home. Be aware that US wines are more expensive in Europe than in the USA

Rioja, Spain - Probably the most reliable, as has to be bottled in Rioja and bear an official seal showing quality level 

Merlot, France - France is a big country. It's more likely to be a co-operative or branded wine from Languedoc than Bordeaux, indeed they would state so if it was.

Shiraz, Australia - unlikely to be from Barossa

Champagne - many Americans think any wine with bubbles is Champagne, so if Champagne is your thing insist on seeing the bottle. Only bottles with a label that states Champagne are..

Prosecco - huge amounts made, some very good, but this is unlikely to be Conegliano Valdobbiadene.

Few cruise passengers are interested or knowledgeable about wine, but the wines available will be poured generously and be palatable.

They promise the local area’s finest. Those advertising wine have a different perception of what finest means to those consuming the product. 

*The board is called Cruise Critic

• 3 months later...

Just stepped off the Emerald Luna and I am afraid it has not gotten better with the wine. Just one red and one white with dinner - and NOT regional. (After floating along the Rhine seeing vineyards everywhere we were met with a California and and Argentinian wine at dinner…What?!) Also regarding the premium bottles for purchase there were over half were unavailable. Not the ship for wine lovers I guess

• 5 months later...

I hope this thread is still being looked at. Out of interest, was the drinks package you purchased the Premium or Platinum? The platinum seems to have an option for bottles of wine not just glasses of house wine.