Live on Norwegian Pearl May 27th

Betsynh

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Betsynh was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

As an avid cruiser but only my third on NCL, I was scouring Cruise Critic for information on the Pearl and found very little. I’m going to try to fill in some gaps now that I’m onboard. We are mid-50/early-60 for context.

Hubby and I love to dance and the Funky Roots band was awesome. The early set was more easy listening, but they cranked it up to a great dance party at 10:00pm. They seem to do 45- minute sets and take a short break. Can’t wait to see what they play tonight!

I haven’t found a piano bar yet, but Francis the guitar player in the Atrium is a hoot. He has a great voice and sang lots of favorites from the 90’s.

The Great Outdoors seating area on the back of the ship is the best place to enjoy shaded/wind-protected seating with a handy bar and buffet-style food available during certain hours. It wasn’t overly crowded when we left the Port of Boston, so people probably haven’t found it yet.

Get the thermal spa pass (approx $139 online pre-cruise). They claim to sell a limited number and we spent the morning between the stone loungers, comfy padded lounge chairs, the warm pool and the co-ed hot-tub. Haven’t tried the steam room or sauna yet, but looks decent. Robes and towels are plentiful. It started getting really busy around noon. Glad we hit the morning!

Bowling! Are you kidding? Bliss Lounge — back of deck 7 — has a total of four bowling lanes. For $7 pp you can bowl a game, as long as you remember to pack socks. It was a hoot as the ship was rocking. Gave us a good excuse for all those gutter balls… Hilarious.

Starbucks accepted my phone app for payment — who knew? Hello Java Chip Frappuccino.

The opening show was a short one featuring the Cruise Director and team and a comedian. He announced two upcoming family shows and then a late-night adult only. His short intro was good — plan to go back. Tiara, the cruise director has great energy and fun style. Looking forward to seeing her in action.

Food… so far everything has been delicious… BUT the jury is still out on how well they handle gluten-free dining. Royal and Celebrity have a wide assortment of GF labeled options at the buffet, desserts, etc. The Pearl has a lovely woman Annalisa whose responsibility is to make sure whatever I want is prepared in advance. Do I actually know whether I’ll want pizza or a burger for lunch tomorrow? It’s super awkward so far although she is lovely. O’Sheehan’s the 24-hour place overlooking the atrium apparently has nachos that are GF if I want a late-night snack that isn’t pre-ordered. But isn’t part of the fun of cruising being spontaneous and grabbing a bite when you’re hungry? I’m used to ordering a night ahead on cruises, but also knew where I could score some GF cookies or pizza slice or pasta bar on other ships. It’s not the case here… at least yet.

While I love romantic dining-for-two with hubby, we also enjoy sitting at a large table meeting new people. Freestyle cruising doesn’t allow for that… during COVID, I guess it’s not a bad thing.

Someone said that we’re at about 60% capacity this week. Staff are in masks, hardly any of the passengers are. I’ll post more if I have any other potentially helpful observations.

• Like 4

Piano Bar--- Deck 6  Mid ship

Could you post who the current Officers are when get a chance?   There is a large picture frame just inside the door going spa (Off the pool deck) giving names and positions.

Continued…

I spoke too soon! There’s a pianist/singer in Magnums Champagne bar tonight. Al from Italy. He’s got a great voice and sings without fake back up instrumentals. A pleasant surprise because we’re picky. Lol. 

Seaside Duo in the Atrium were also really talented and fun. They even got people dancing during their Eagles tribute set. 

There was a production show tonight! Shocker based on hearing they’d been sent home. Maybe 7 vocalists and around 8 dancers. It was a high energy show —one show only— at 8pm. We really enjoyed it. There was even a surprise proposal at the end! So sweet! 

Big surprise, after telling hubby to leave his neckties at home, tonight was Norwegian Night Out where they wanted everyone to dress up! Only about 15% of us did, but we scored a great ocean view table in the Summer Palace dining room. Off for a night of dancing with funky roots. Hope this is helpful to upcoming cruisers! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Could you post who the current Officers are when get a chance?   There is a large picture frame just inside the door going spa (Off the pool deck) giving names and positions.

I’ll try! I’ve definitely seen it. 

18 hours ago, Betsynh said:

As an avid cruiser but only my third on NCL, I was scouring Cruise Critic for information on the Pearl and found very little. I’m going to try to fill in some gaps now that I’m onboard. We are mid-50/early-60 for context.

Bowling! Are you kidding? Bliss Lounge — back of deck 7 — has a total of four bowling lanes. For $7 pp you can bowl a game, as long as you remember to pack socks. It was a hoot as the ship was rocking. Gave us a good excuse for all those gutter balls… Hilarious.

Great to hear you’re enjoying yourselves!

As for bowling, you can pretend you’re kids and ask for the gutter guards to be extended … you’ll have better fun bowling for the pins with balls bouncing off the gutter rails in the high seas!!

We did that!

Welcome to Bermuda!

No movies under the stars but a huge screen in the atrium showing pretty current movies…

Hubby wanted to see if we could make it to church in Bermuda so got right off the ship at 10am and caught the 10:30 bus (#8) to Hamilton. Walked about 8-10 minutes up hill to catch the 11:30 mass at St. Theresa’s Cathedral. Arrived during the opening hymn. Phew! It was actually lovely and had A/C. 

We are on the Pearl in August.  SOOOOOO looking forward to it!!!

We did church in the Caribbean before while cruising, and had arranged for transportation to pick us up in an hour!  Little did we know that church is considered a family day thing and services last much longer than in the states!!!!  Did you find the same in Bermuda?

4 hours ago, Betsynh said:

No movies under the stars but a huge screen in the atrium showing pretty current movies…

Hubby wanted to see if we could make it to church in Bermuda so got right off the ship at 10am and caught the 10:30 bus (#8) to Hamilton. Walked about 8-10 minutes up hill to catch the 11:30 mass at St. Theresa’s Cathedral. Arrived during the opening hymn. Phew! It was actually lovely and had A/C. 

42 minutes ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

We are on the Pearl in August.  SOOOOOO looking forward to it!!!

We did church in the Caribbean before while cruising, and had arranged for transportation to pick us up in an hour!  Little did we know that church is considered a family day thing and services last much longer than in the states!!!!  Did you find the same in Bermuda?

Mass was about an hour-to 75 minutes. I wasn’t really tracking it, but they sang all the hymns (masked) and had the prayers on a projection screen so it was very inclusive. 

Another note: The Bus/Ferry passes are for CONSECUTIVE days. I saw someone on CC trying to see the third day of her pass… not sure that would actually work!

Also, people arriving in the dining room in shorts were sent away for pants. 

Off on a sailing adventure to watch the sunset! 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the play-by-play of this cruise. I am fellow New Englander (South Shore) who missed this sailing for medical reasons so your updates are the best next thing, so keep it coming. Just curious if the cruise completely booked? Also, what's the temperature right now in Bermuda? It is 73 degrees here in the Boston area.image.png

Edited by PatriotsSuperFan

3 minutes ago, Betsynh said:

Mass was about an hour-to 75 minutes. I wasn’t really tracking it, but they sang all the hymns (masked) and had the prayers on a projection screen so it was very inclusive. 

Another note: The Bus/Ferry passes are for CONSECUTIVE days. I saw someone on CC trying to see the third day of her pass… not sure that would actually work!

Also, people arriving in the dining room in shorts were sent away for pants. 

Off on a sailing adventure to watch the sunset! 

People in shorts would have only been turned away in the aft dining room. They would have been fine in Indigo.

On 5/28/2022 at 2:54 PM, www3traveler said:

It’s a rotating frame… not one photo of everyone’s names. Are you looking for someone specific?

2 hours ago, PatriotsSuperFan said:

Thank you so much for the play-by-play of this cruise. I am fellow New Englander (South Shore) who missed this sailing for medical reasons so your updates are the best next thing, so keep it coming. Just curious if the cruise completely booked? Also, what's the temperature right now in Bermuda? It is 73 degrees here in the Boston area.image.png

Temp is 79-80. Gorgeous! So sorry you’re not here. We’re about 60% capacity apparently 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Oceanwench said:

If you see a couple with a service dog, tell them Sy said Hi!
They're from the Boston suburbs. Great friends! 

Is it a yellow lab? Saw them yesterday! 

Highly recommend the catamaran cruise Rum Swizzle on Good Vibrations. It was a perfect night weather-wise and the crew was great. No actual sailing to be had with zero wind but a great time anyway!

9 hours ago, Betsynh said:

It’s a rotating frame… not one photo of everyone’s names. Are you looking for someone specific?

I am wondering who the Captain and Hotel General Manager are.  The picture frame should have individual pictures of all the Senior Staff memebers-- position and home country.  The Captain may be from Italy.

Hello question do you swim in Bermuda? If yes how cold is the water? We will not be there until April 2023 😢. I remember several years back in May it was very cold. Being from New England got use to it quickly but deciding if we should bother with snorkel equipment.

Thanks for this post your right very little about the Pearl.

35 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Hello question do you swim in Bermuda? If yes how cold is the water? We will not be there until April 2023 😢. I remember several years back in May it was very cold. Being from New England got use to it quickly but deciding if we should bother with snorkel equipment.

Thanks for this post your right very little about the Pearl.

We were there last week and the water was cool but not like on the North Shore or Outer Cape. 

4 hours ago, umpisoccer said:

Can you take pictures of the dailies to post for us?  It would be great to see the schedule of activities each day to help in the planning process.  

Here you go @umpisoccer

(or anyone else curious...)

1240600426_FreestyleDaily.pdf

• Like 2