June 10, 2022 Radiance of the Seas Cruise — Alaska

Hi All!  We are so excited this trip is FINALLY happening since it’s the third time we’ve rescheduled!!  We’ve cruised numerous times in the past but are getting mixed reviews on how to pack and what to pack for our land tour prior to the cruise as well as for our excursions once on the cruise. As this is our first time ever visiting Alaska, does anyone have any advice or good pointers who has previously visited Alaska this time of year?  

Thanks so much in advance!!

No tips but I am following and probably just as excited. We board the Radiance on July 1 and have cruises the Caribbean 12 times this year but Alaska is an entirely different experience. 

I have read that having a separate bag for the land tour is recommended, as your larger checked bag can stay stored on the tour bus for that portion of the trip. So, my husband and I will each have a carry-on with enough to cover our land tour, and also our larger luggage that will have the rest of our things for the cruise itself but that will stay on the bus. 

On 5/30/2022 at 1:54 PM, Ozzie26 said:

No tips but I am following and probably just as excited. We board the Radiance on July 1 and have cruises the Caribbean 12 times this year but Alaska is an entirely different experience. 

We are on July 1 as well!  So excited I can’t hardly stand it. Husband just recovered from Covid. If I get it and can’t go I will be so pissed. May have to bubble wrap myself the next month. I am hoping if I didn’t get it from him maybe I already had it and didn’t know? Fingers crossed.

We've been twice before, but a bit later in the month (July 19). This time we'll be sailing on July 8. Layers, as most have advised, are key. If your feet tend to get chilly, I'd advise a couple pairs of lightweight wool socks as well as mittens. I usually take a shawl for late evenings around the ship. Hot news .. Anchorage had record high temps in the 80's the last week or so, so even I am conflicted, lol. And .. it might be early for spawning, but we went on a bear watch last time and didn't see one bear .. they feed in the early morning and then nap a LOT, I guess. But whales were excellent.

We were on the Radiance Northbound cruise May 20-27 and the weather was heavenly....60-70 degrees and sunny everyday.  We actually bought a couple of short-sleeved t-shirts along the way because the clothes we packed were too warm.  But the crew said the weather the week before was miserable.  So be prepared for anything and everything...and have a wonderful time!  By the way, we skipped Sitka because they are repairing the dock there.  I don't know how long that process will take, but we visited Icy Strait Point instead and loved it.