Summit Spa Treatment

Eleris

First let me say DH and I love the Spa. We are both hunched over computers all day so deep tissue massage or hot stones are heaven sent.  I am not assigning blame to anyone or anything but I just read an article confirming our suspicions over the Spa treatments and COVID 19.  On our recent trip my DH had a massage on Tuesday and was sick by Thursday.  Of course this led to me feeling out of sorts by Friday.  We stayed in and chilled because although we weren't sure if it was COVID either way we were feeling congested and tired.  Used some OTC items and got some rest seemed to help.  Confirmed COVID 19 when we were home a few days later.

The reason I am bringing this up at all is I just caught an article where a young women tested positive on Princess (we were on Summit) and detailed her experience of being quarantined to a hotel and all the chaos that went with it but the thing that caught my eye was she mentioned she had a spa treatment 2 days before presenting with symptoms.  Again this is not proof of anything but it is something to consider.  In my case the only time DH and I were not in the same place at the same time was when he had his massage and perhaps it really is not the safest place to be for any length of time.  I know the crew is doing everything they can to clean the ships and they are amazing and appreciated for all they do but this is one time I would have to say we really wish he skipped the massage. 

We also had a large sum of OBC to use and would have probably given most of it to the spa... but that was no longer an option.  Can't prove this is where he caught it but the timing was too perfect.  I guess the good news is now that we have had COVID, we can go to the spa on our next cruise. 🤪

19 minutes ago, Eleris said:

We also had a large sum of OBC to use and would have probably given most of it to the spa... but that was no longer an option.  Can't prove this is where he caught it but the timing was too perfect.  I guess the good news is now that we have had COVID, we can go to the spa on our next cruise. 🤪

Is eating nightly on board or sitting in the theatre a concern any different from the spa?

Either you are lucky or unlucky IMO.  DW rode in a car for over an hour with a girlfriend then they had lunch together.   The girlfriend was coughing and tested positive the next day.  My DW was fine.  Switch to Jim who posted they always wore N95 masks outside their room except for when eating.  They both tested positive on board.

You never know 

• Like 1

Agree, you never know and it is obviously a risk we all are willing to take or we would not go.  My point is that having your face down on a table that was recently occupied is something to consider.  We did not attend any populated venues and stayed as far away from crowds as possible.  Since we were in a suite we spent time in the Retreat which was empty without the need to social distance.  The Luminae restaurant was never crowded and the staff skipped tables to keep guests apart as much as possible.  The cruise line is doing everything possible to clean but there are places we can avoid. 

There's really no doubt that the spa is a high-risk environment.  There's a lot of long-term close contact, and those receiving treatments are (or have been) allowed to keep their masks off (at least at times).  With as much time as I've spent in the Summit spa since the restart, I'm more than a little surprised I didn't come away with covid.

The timing does sound just about perfect, so it does sound likely it came from the spa.  That said, this current strain going around is so dadgum contagious that it really could have been anything.  No matter, I'm glad to hear that it passed and that you're looking forward to hitting the spa next time!

I did a lot spa services on both my March 22 and October 21 cruises on Edge and did not contract anything.  Multiple massages, facials, mani, pedi, haircut.  I imagine they prep the rooms impeccably between clients and the therapists wore masks.  They take the risk of themselves getting sick quite seriously because of the consequences (had a few conversations about this).  So I'm sure the effort they put into keeping themselves safe in turn works out to benefit the customer as well.

I guess if you want a massage you could bring disinfecting wipes with you and wipe down the face cradle before you get on the table as a precautionary measure. If you did it when you were disrobing, the therapist would not see and could avoid possibly offending that person.