Up to Date….or Vaccinated?

Wendylet

Can anyone confirm for me, based on recent experience, that you are considered Up to Date with vaccines having had 2 (full series) as well as a booster even if you are outside of the 270 day requirement. Recently there have been several posters who have indicated they were Up to Date in this situation only to be contacted by Celebrity to say they are not. Have not heard if this was true or simply a misstatement. Does anyone know for sure?

25 minutes ago, Wendylet said:

Can anyone confirm for me, based on recent experience, that you are considered Up to Date with vaccines having had 2 (full series) as well as a booster even if you are outside of the 270 day requirement. Recently there have been several posters who have indicated they were Up to Date in this situation only to be contacted by Celebrity to say they are not. Have not heard if this was true or simply a misstatement. Does anyone know for sure?

God bless CC, but, rather than relying on our collective minds (and interpretations---or misinterpretations), read the Celebrity policy.  Check the "Will I be fully vaccinated" and "What is the difference" sections.  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs#testing-and-screening-faqs

Edited by jwlane

European definition of Up to Date: vaccinated within 9 months (270 days) of final dose in primary series OR boosted. The 270 days must extend to the final day of the cruise. The last primary dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation.

**Definition of Fully Vaccinated: vaccinated with a full dose of a primary series vaccine more than 9 months (270 days) prior to sailing, and NOT boosted. The last primary dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation. 

5 hours ago, jwlane said:

God bless CC, but, rather than relying on our collective minds (and interpretations---or misinterpretations), read the Celebrity policy.  Check the "Will I be fully vaccinated" and "What is the difference" sections.  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs#testing-and-screening-faqs

Thanks so much. I had reviewed that page but failed to make it to the last question! I was really asking because I have read several posts where people are “up to date” yet they received emails from Celebrity saying they were not. I am trying to understand why this would be the case. It seemed they were being put through the wringer despite falling into the up to date category based on its description. Just hoping it was all working out when they finally made it to the ship as they were not having success getting answers from Celebrity. 

5 hours ago, upwarduk said:

European definition of Up to Date: vaccinated within 9 months (270 days) of final dose in primary series OR boosted. The 270 days must extend to the final day of the cruise. The last primary dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation.

**Definition of Fully Vaccinated: vaccinated with a full dose of a primary series vaccine more than 9 months (270 days) prior to sailing, and NOT boosted. The last primary dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation. 

Thank you!

OP, with you having a booster, you are ‘Up to Date no matter the date of your vaccinations or the boosters. There are so many issues we all have to handle with cruising, the tests, itinerary changes and chances of quarantines while cruising, I’d not take on what issues others have getting emails about their status. 

I got an email telling me to update my vaccination status for my upcoming cruise, something I’d done weeks ago. I’m ignoring it. What counts is having your vaccination card with you for checkin. I’ve done all the preparations but will have all the documentation with me, and not driven by emails usually generated by computers.

I got the unnecessary email exactly one month prior to my cruise which is a strong indication it was computer generated. So I don’t care and won’t waste my time reacting to it.. 

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

OP, with you having a booster, you are ‘Up to Date no matter the date of your vaccinations or the boosters. There are so many issues we all have to handle with cruising, the tests, itinerary changes and chances of quarantines while cruising, I’d not take on what issues others have getting emails about their status. 

I got an email telling me to update my vaccination status for my upcoming cruise, something I’d done weeks ago. I’m ignoring it. What counts is having your vaccination card with you for checkin. I’ve done all the preparations but will have all the documentation with me, and not driven by emails usually generated by computers.

I got the unnecessary email exactly one month prior to my cruise which is a strong indication it was computer generated. So I don’t care and won’t waste my time reacting to it.. 

den

Absolutely correct.  Celebrity is generating computer messages that are often redundant and or not right.  If going out of Europe then keep up with the ever changing rules.  If out of North America they don't apply.

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

den

Sage advice. This is a whole new world now and hard to stay on top of everything. I will hold fast to my up to date status and not worry!

• Like 1

Not to confuse things but CDC changed the definition of up-to-date for those 50 and older last week. CDC now says you need a second booster (if in that age group) if your first one is more than four months old. 

This obviously doesn’t affect European guidelines which are different. And since boosters are not required for US sailings, I’m not sure that it has any affect on cruising but it could be part of the confusion. 

12 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Not to confuse things but CDC changed the definition of up-to-date for those 50 and older last week. CDC now says you need a second booster (if in that age group) if your first one is more than four months old.

In many countries, UK included, that isn't even an option at this time, a second booster is only available here if you are aged 75 and over, live in a care home for older people or are aged 12 and over and have a weakened immune system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prmssk said:

This obviously doesn’t affect European guidelines which are different. And since boosters are not required for US sailings, I’m not sure that it has any affect on cruising but it could be part of the confusion. 

It has no effect on cruising.  The CDC recommended a second booster for those that are older.  It if fact changes exactly nothing.  In the US and most countries you are "fully vaccinated " for travel with the original shot or shots.  Nothing to do with boosters.

Most of the confusion is because people are looking at various country rules or not reading all of the guidelines- ALL the way to the end.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

It has no effect on cruising.  The CDC recommended a second booster for those that are older.  It if fact changes exactly nothing.  In the US and most countries you are "fully vaccinated " for travel with the original shot or shots.  Nothing to do with boosters.

Most of the confusion is because people are looking at various country rules or not reading all of the guidelines- ALL the way to the end.

This question is about the definition of “up-to-date” which absolutely relates to boosters. Just because the cruise line doesn’t require boosters to sail or counties don’t require them to enter, doesn’t mean that booster status doesn’t affect other protocols like testing and quarantine. 

No, I don’t think this change in CDC guidance regarding a second booster affects cruising on Celebrity yet but it may in the near future and I’m confident the cruise lines are following these changes and considering how they may affect protocols.  Additionally, especially  considering at least one other line already uses CDC definitions for cruises in North America when it comes to protocols like the pre-cruise testing window, it is inaccurate to say this change in guidance has no effect at all on cruising.