Anyone who uses the AAA credit card for travel

EllieinNJ

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

Does anyone know if you purchase Carnival or Princess gift cards from AARP will it count as travel and get the 3% back?  The AAA rep said yes but my DH doesn't believe it.

I think your husband is right. Usually gift cards don't count as travel, at least I've never seen it count on any of my cards T/C. You need to see how they are coded, if it's codded under travel it may work. It's like the safway gas is included sometimes if you go inside and buy a stick of gum and add gas, it gets coded as grocery instead of fuel. 

4 Offer is exclusive to AAA Preferred Rewards Visa Credit Card holders enrolled in the AAA Rewards program. For offers associated with a specific category, earnings will only be awarded if the merchant code for the purchase matches a category eligible for the offer. Each merchant is assigned a code by a third party that indicates the merchant’s area of business. Comenity Capital Bank does not have the ability to control assignment of merchant codes. Purchases do not include returns, refunds or credit adjustments, balance transfers, cash advances, interest charges, and fees of any kind. Once earned, you must redeem for statement credit at comenity.net/aaarewards. 

NO, NO, NO. AARP will code these as Charitable, NOT Travel

AARP is a Charitable organization so ANY purchases from them will code (to your credit card) as Charitable. Tried doing this with my Costco VISA card several months back (hoping to get 3% cash back) but only got 1% because of how the transaction was coded. In the future - I will use my Citi Double Cash card so at least I get back 2%.

22 hours ago, SDPadreFan said:

NO, NO, NO. AARP will code these as Charitable, NOT Travel

AARP is a Charitable organization so ANY purchases from them will code (to your credit card) as Charitable. Tried doing this with my Costco VISA card several months back (hoping to get 3% cash back) but only got 1% because of how the transaction was coded. In the future - I will use my Citi Double Cash card so at least I get back 2%.

Another 3% cash back option is through the Bank of America Cash Rewards card.  If you set your 3% cash back category to "online purchases" then Carnival GC purchases through both AARP and Allstate will get you 3% cash back for the first $2,500 in purchases each calendar quarter.  The BofA  cash rewards card has  no annual fee and, currently, has a $200 signup bonus.

Edited by Calnev1
  • Thanks 2