Princess requiring masks again for Vancouver to Whittier

LCW

6 hours ago, dan4182 said:

You do understand that, other than the K-95 surgical masks properly fitten and worn all the time, the paper and/or cloth masks offer almost zero levels of protection?

I don't understand why you answered something I posted about the presence of Covid on board with an opinion about masks.  The  two really have nothing to do with each other.  The high Covid levels that have been reported have all been before masking was reinstituted.  

Going forward of course with the extra testing and mask requirements it might look different.  But we won't know that for a couple weeks. 

14 hours ago, BobbySu said:

I don't understand why you answered something I posted about the presence of Covid on board with an opinion about masks.  The  two really have nothing to do with each other.  The high Covid levels that have been reported have all been before masking was reinstituted.  

Going forward of course with the extra testing and mask requirements it might look different.  But we won't know that for a couple weeks. 

You are correct, time will tell whether masking makes any difference or not.

If it doesn’t, a lot of unhappy cruisers will exist!

So, end result of trying to rebook. If you don't have insurance, cancellations fees are in full force, so 75% if w/in 30 days, despite Princess changing the requirements w/o notice. With 'cancel anytime' insurance, you only get 75% of that fee back...so it would have been around $9K for the 75% fee, with insurance it lowers to btwn a $2K and $3K loss. Plus any change in price for rebooking to a future year.

For us, the fees + change in cost amounted to around $5K (we splurged on a suite) - As we're unwilling to walk away from such a large amount, esp. since college tuition payments are looming in the near future, we're stuck.  I'll just have to stay in the cabin or on outer deck most of the time, so I don't' risk mask induced breathing issues.  Would have pushed this out to 2023 when they cancelled the 1st cruise, but they didn't give us that option. 

Coupled with the issues we had when husband was injured on a ship-sponsored shore excursion during our last Princess cruise, and the medical fees we had to pay out of pocket for the stitches despite having the cruise insurance, we're not happy with Princess.  This makes 2 cruises in a row that we won't be able to fully enjoy ourselves through no fault of our own, with zero compensation from Princess.