Carnival Elation - your thoughts on this ship?

codeyell0

My last Carnival cruise was almost horrible to say the least.  If I hadn't gotten food poisoning would not have been so bad.

Carnival Elation, any known issues I should know about?  normally a smooth sailing ship?
Carnival sunshine I guess had stabilization issues not sure how you find this stuff out. I doubt carnival will outright say it.   

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
5 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

is that one of the if you can't say anything nice don't say anything?

No, it's the truth. If you didn't like/enjoy the Sunshine chances are very high, you're not going to like/enjoy Elation.

It's the 2nd oldest ship in the fleet and many people say it should be retired as one of the last of the old Fantasy class vessels. I agree that if you didn't like Sunshine, which is newer and more updated and has more amenities and balcony cabins, you probably wouldn't like most of the rest of the Carnival fleet with the possible exception of Mardi Gras.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

It's the 2nd oldest ship in the fleet and many people say it should be retired as one of the last of the old Fantasy class vessels. I agree that if you didn't like Sunshine, which is newer and more updated and has more amenities and balcony cabins, you probably wouldn't like most of the rest of the Carnival fleet with the possible exception of Mardi Gras.

The sunshine had no stabilization that was my complaint, fairly calm seas and she was rocking back n forth. plus the food poisoning I believe from the steakhouse.   

• Like 1

I was on Elation in mid May and had a wonderful time, wonderful weather which makes all the difference for a cruise or beach trip, with calm seas no motion at all and I am one who likes the Fantasy class ships and she was in wonderful condition and I really enjoyed my cruise, in fact I am doing back in one week for another 5 days.  This one will probably be more kids since school is out but I enjoy my kindle, bucket of beer, TropRock tunes, view of the water, and a shady spot and I am easy to please.  Hope you are able to decide on a cruise that suits you.

• Like 3

We really like the Elation.

But it is an older ship, and if motion is an issue for you, these older, smaller ships are likely a bad choice.

Based on your concerns, you may find cruising far more enjoyable on the newer, larger ships (regardless of the cruise line).

• Like 2

My wife and I were on the Elation in April.  Zero complaints.  Yes smaller ship, but for a 5 day cruise looking to relax, it was perfect.  I don't think I would do anything longer as there are not may options on this ship.  Food was great, shows were very good and the CD was terrific.  

• Like 5

17 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

My last Carnival cruise was almost horrible to say the least.  If I hadn't gotten food poisoning would not have been so bad.

Carnival Elation, any known issues I should know about?  normally a smooth sailing ship?
Carnival sunshine I guess had stabilization issues not sure how you find this stuff out. I doubt carnival will outright say it.   

The Carnival Elation has stabilizers. However, it is a small ship in a big ocean. If the sea is rough, it will move around. The Sunshine has stabilizers also. I did see that the Sunshine did have stabilizer issues back in 2018 due to a failure and the ship had a list. If you were on that cruise, I can see your concern. The last Carnival ship that did not have stabilizers was the Fantasy. It moved a lot, took several cruises on it.

Edited by ledges1
Spelling
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Here are 3 of the Elation's sister ships in the scrap yard at Alang, Turkey. A picture is worth a thousand words.

What happens to old cruise ships including giant 'graveyards' with hundreds  of vessels - Mirror Online

One or two of them would probably have been there by now anyway (or at least sold to a line like Margaritaville at Sea) but I think most of them were scrapped because of COVID. Not necessarily because they were old or small or anything else.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mz-s said:

One or two of them would probably have been there by now anyway (or at least sold to a line like Margaritaville at Sea) but I think most of them were scrapped because of COVID. Not necessarily because they were old or small or anything else.

COVID advanced the scrapping schedule by 2 years at most. Two of these ships were built after the Elation. They are old and cost more to keep in service and they have fewer berths and thus are no longer profitable. 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2

I have not been on elation, but have done her sister ships imagination/inspiration (granted it's been a few years).  I believe it's all in what expect/make of it.  We sailed those ships when we wanted a quick getaway and to relax in the sun.  We weren't expecting the best entertainment or a lot of things to do on the ships.  We did find however, that the crew on these ships is fantastic (usually very experienced crew members who feel the work atmosphere is better on the smaller ships).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

COVID advanced the scrapping schedule by 2 years at most. Two of these ships were built after the Elation. They are old and cost more to keep in service and they have fewer berths and thus are no longer profitable. 

All of those were built before Elation (and Paradise):

1990 - Fantasy

1991 - Ecstasy

1993 - Sensation

1994 - Fascination

1995 - Imagination

1996 - Inspiration

1998 - Elation, Paradise

Carnival Sunshine (built 1996 as Carnival Destiny) is older than Elation and Paradise.

Fantasy was originally scheduled to sign off in January 2022:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynbc15.com/amp/news/local/carnival-fascination-to-replace-fantasy-in-mobile-in-2022

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tidecat said:

1990 - Fantasy

1991 - Ecstasy

1993 - Sensation

1994 - Fascination

1995 - Imagination

1996 - Inspiration

1998 - Elation, Paradise

You're quite right, I was thinking of Ecstasy. Thank you

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, tidecat said:

1990 - Fantasy

1991 - Ecstasy

1993 - Sensation

1994 - Fascination

1995 - Imagination

1996 - Inspiration

1998 - Elation, Paradise

Carnival Sunshine (built 1996 as Carnival Destiny) is older than Elation and Paradise.

Fantasy was originally scheduled to sign off in January 2022:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynbc15.com/amp/news/local/carnival-fascination-to-replace-fantasy-in-mobile-in-2022

Wonder why Paradise seemed so much more open than the others, you just brought me down a trip to memory lane😉