Tipping during a cruise

TeachKinde

On 6/8/2022 at 6:41 AM, DarrenM said:

on a general note, we paid for tips upfront on our last cruise.

But the cabin stewards deserve so much more, so we tipped him at the end of the cruise. Not sure how much exactly but was over 80euro.

I always feel guilty when someone basically tidies up my mess every day. I dont have this at home, so feel awful that someone does it on a cruise. But I sure did appreciate it.

This will probably upset some, but i find people that have Butlers to be pathetic. Dress yourselves you lazy people.

In my day to day life I consider myself equal to everyone, and everyone is equal to me, Hence why the recent Jubilee cap doffing in the UK, irritated me a lot.

I spoke to our cabin steward every day and apologised for the mess frequently.

I feel I am somewhat hypocritical here, but I think he would have been offended if I had said not to clean our room.

So the only solution was to give a generous tip. Although I dont know what generous is, in terms of value.

I also gave him massive praise in the review I did.

On 6/8/2022 at 8:26 AM, Markanddonna said:

Butlers on cruise ships don't have anything to do with your personal dressing. They might unpack your suitcase, if you request and will take away and then deliver your laundry requests. Our one cruise in a Haven suite gave us a bit of experience with a butler. Personally, I prefer to not have someone doting on me like that and therefore didn't ask him to do much.

Those are coveted positions that people take much pride in being a Butler.  Being of service isn't demeaning

On 6/9/2022 at 9:31 AM, DarrenM said:

Does that actually work? Thought about this on this cruise, but felt i was like a bribe.

And do they expect more at the end?

We paid ours in cash. Just left it in an envelope on the bed with his name on it.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:05 AM, ColeThornton said:

I also feel like it's a bribe and that you are not treating the crewman like a service professional who will do a good job to EARN those tips.  But, everyone is free of course to spend their money as they see fit.

Service industry people never see it as a bribe.  They see it as acknowledgment of the mutual understanding that they will response to your requests and you will compensate them.  

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 11:32 PM, TeachKinde said:

I have a loose understanding of cruise tipping, and I understand that everyone may have different takes on this topic. We have tips paid on our upcoming cruise. We also have a drink package. It appears that our cocktail people have a pretty good built in tip structure. I’m not sure how it all works out in the MDR. I feel like it would be a nice gesture to add something for the folks that took care of us in the MDR. How would that work? However, my main question is about our cabin steward. I know they are already included in the tips paid structure, but I want to give them a bit more. When I travel, I usually tip the housekeeper five dollars a day. It’s only 35 bucks for our seven day cruise. I just want to reward the person that does the most work and probably gets the least cut. Thoughts?

We do tip extra to the wait staff in the MDR and our Cabin Steward. We also have tipped a particular bar tender extra if we enjoyed his service multiple times.