Sitka Self Walking Tour...

NavyCruiser

Our cruise ship's "ALASKA RAPTOR CENTER AND NATURE WALK" excursion in Sitka cost $60.

For our group of 40, 15 is doing another ship's excursion, but for the rest of 25 younger adults, all in good shape & don't mind doing a nice leisurely walking tour of Sitka.

Thinking of taking the ship's 5 mile bus transport into Sitka town.  Can someone pls confirm cost, & where they drop you off in town?

Then taking a self guided walking tour from town, visiting sites such as: St Michael's Orthodox Catheral, through town/marina, to Sitka National Historical Park & Tlingit Totem Pole, to Alaska Raptor Center (cost?), then back to Russian Bishop's House in town.  A 3 mile / 1 hour loop, which probably hits most of the ship's tour stops also.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/St.+Michael's+Orthodox+Cathedral/Tlingit+Totem+Pole,+Sitka,+AK+99835/Alaska+Raptor+Rehabilitation+Center,+Raptor+Way,+Sitka,+AK/Russian+Bishop's+House/@57.0501355,-135.3299608,1557m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x540467bcb2f1fa93:0x628436b3112f734a!2m2!1d-135.3352778!2d57.05!1m5!1m1!1s0x540467915bd112b9:0xafe59de1e7a675f8!2m2!1d-135.3128006!2d57.0461244!1m5!1m1!1s0x5404662ceefe9fc9:0x207687e2fc86b395!2m2!1d-135.3160504!2d57.052333!1m5!1m1!1s0x540467be05d98113:0x9206089612866a72!2m2!1d-135.3309777!2d57.0514467!3e2

Since we have 8 hours in Sitka port, good idea?

Any other suggs...?

Thanks,

The shuttle from the pier to downtown Sitka is free.  The drop off point is the Harrigan Centennial Center.  

We have walked to all of the attractions listed with no problems.  And the walk between the Harrigan Centennial Center and Sitka Historical Park passes the Sheldon Jackson Museum.

• Like 1

We are in Sitka in a few weeks on Radiance.   I have a friend who lived in Sitka for 20 years who recently moved back to Michigan.   I will paste below the itinerary she did for us.  We have a Kayak planned with SitkaKayak that we will do in middle of the day.    This could fill out the DIY walking tour you all ready have planned.  ( with out the kayak)  I am super excited to see my friends favorite places. 

My perfect day in Sitka- 1. get an espresso and a scone at the backdoor coffee shop (right downtown behind old harbor books, great little bookstore). Tell Seitara I sent you, she makes the best dirty chai! 2. Walk to totem park and do the loop.  Stop at Sitka sound science center and touch all the sea creatures. 3. Go kayaking. 4. Go to Mean Queen by the bridge and have pizza and a beer and look out the window. Tell Patrick I sent you

• 2 weeks later...

The shuttle bus drop off is in town and you can walk to the National Park with the trails and totem poles from there.  We took an excursion to the Raptor center ( they have some eagles, Owls etc, then went went to Bear Fortress which was interesting. You can get pretty close to them.  One big guy like to stand up which I had not seen before.  Final stop was the park.  My brother walked back from there but we rode the van back.  Nice little town.  

On 6/9/2022 at 9:55 AM, Northern Aurora said:

The shuttle from the pier to downtown Sitka is free.  The drop off point is the Harrigan Centennial Center.

15 hours ago, volk904 said:

The shuttle bus drop off is in town and you can walk to the National Park with the trails and totem poles from there.

Are there lines for the shuttle if you're in the first group of passengers off the ship?  If so, how long did it take before you were able to board a bus and end up in Sitka?

There are lines. It depends on how fast the busses fill up. They leave when full.

Also depends on if there is another ship tied up across the pier or if they are running tenders since one of the mooring was damaged and being repaired. Different ships use the same bus. 

sightcrr

Are there walking hikes/paths/routes for a few hours of walking after we take the free shuttle, or is it kind of like wander around type of thing?  Its the only port we dont have anything booked for, but dont mind a nice little walk/hike/explore, just not sure if we will know where to go /what to do when we get off the shuttle.