Port Valet and Alaska Airlines

ImperialLady

We plan to use Port Valet in Seattle. We are flying Alaska Air and they charge for checked luggage. Does anyone know how we pay the luggage fees since we will have our boarding passes and understand that we do not have to 'check in'.   Thanks

Unless you are exempt from paying for your bags due to your Loyalty level with your airline, or because of a credit card perk that you are traveling with, a typical passenger would still be charged a bag fee from the airline.  The airline would charge the credit card that is on file.

What you are not charged for is if your bag is overweight (over 50 lbs). 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 10:04 AM, ImperialLady said:

We plan to use Port Valet in Seattle. We are flying Alaska Air and they charge for checked luggage. Does anyone know how we pay the luggage fees since we will have our boarding passes and understand that we do not have to 'check in'.   Thanks

You could pay on the Alaska Airline app.  When I used a similar service in Orlando, the paperwork from the service gave a phone number to call in to pay fees

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

You could pay on the Alaska Airline app.  When I used a similar service in Orlando, the paperwork from the service gave a phone number to call in to pay fees

Thanks so much for your reply. I will check that option out.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Port Valet last week, and were told the bag fees would be charged to our ship onboard account.  I truly didn't check our account to see if baggage fees were there, but assume they were bc we were never asked to pay the fees anywhere else. Our onboard ship account had excess OBC, so baggage fees were paid with OBC as far as I know, although they could have been charged to the credit card on file.  There was no final bill delivered to our cabin the night before disembarkation.

Bottom line, baggage fees are charged before you disembark and not something else the traveler must be concerned about.  

Due to the possibility of cancelled flights nowadays, our bags ended up at the final destination before we did.  Our bags were stored in the baggage office when not picked up from the carousel, and retrieved easily once we finally arrived.

Edited by GloriaF

Just a FYI as I sadly found out this week, Carnival does not participate in the Port Valet service, so now I’m looking for luggage storage for us since we have all day in Seattle before our 10pm flight. 

On 6/22/2022 at 5:01 AM, GloriaF said:

We used Port Valet last week, and were told the bag fees would be charged to our ship onboard account.  I truly didn't check our account to see if baggage fees were there, but assume they were bc we were never asked to pay the fees anywhere else. Our onboard ship account had excess OBC, so baggage fees were paid with OBC as far as I know, although they could have been charged to the credit card on file.  There was no final bill delivered to our cabin the night before disembarkation.

Bottom line, baggage fees are charged before you disembark and not something else the traveler must be concerned about.  

Due to the possibility of cancelled flights nowadays, our bags ended up at the final destination before we did.  Our bags were stored in the baggage office when not picked up from the carousel, and retrieved easily once we finally arrived.

Thanks so much for making this clear to me. Port Valet is certain ly the way to go!!

14 minutes ago, nslatin said:

We are on the Carnival Spirit in August, flying with Southwest and was able to pre-book Port Valet for our return to Las Vegas.  Alaska Air is listed as a participating airline.

I would go online here Port Valet (maketraveleasier.com) and try to book it in advance.

We are certainly going to do that. Thanks

On 6/24/2022 at 8:38 PM, ImperialLady said:

On 6/22/2022 at 6:01 AM, GloriaF said:

Did you pre book the Port Valet?   And if so, did you need to do anything else on the ship?   Did your  boarding passes and luggage tags just show up in your cabin?  Was it the night before the ship docked?   I thought this had to be done on the ship.  Pre booking sounds like the way to go....done and done!!

We did not prebook Port Valet, bc I read a report on cruise critic that one person had precooked but he was not on the PV list the ship had, so I thought doing it onboard. would be best.  But when we didn't receive the form in our room to book with Port Valet we checked with Guest Services.  We were told only those already booked were being honored, but I went direct to Internet Cafe and booked, then took printed confirmation back to Guest Services.  It was a bit of a confused mess on the Crown and we didn't know until Friday when PV tags and instructions were brought to our cabin.  I really don't know what to advise, but wish you luck!  Except for the confusion onboard with Princess, the Port Valet service was excellent. 

Edited by GloriaF
  • Like 1

Once you have completed Port Valet, what happens if you flight changes?  It has been happening a lot lately....cancelled flights, changes in flight times, flight numbers.   Are you able to go in and change?  

We are hoping to use Port Valet when we disembark on August 19.  Our Alaska Air flight leaves SEA at 11:11am.  The website is saying that the time is not eligible for the service - I thought it was flights after 11am? Any recent experiences with this?  Thanks!

7 minutes ago, NanaPam00 said:

Update - we emailed Alaska Air and got a response within a couple of hours - they have changed the earliest flight time to noon to use Port Valet.

Wow, that is significant news.  Thanks for looking into this, and letting us know.

• Like 1