Any work around for pre-existing condition?

39august

Is there such a thing? We have insurance for  Sept. cruise, but I have recently been diagnosed with a rather debilitating condition. Probably can go in Sept., but maybe not. Is there any thing I can do to mitigate the pre-existing condition exclusion?

If your condition was diagnosed after you paid for the insurance, and you had not previously seen a doctor or taken medications related to the recent diagnosis, you are probably ok.  Better yet, most plans have a lookback period of XX days. So the insurance company will only look at your medical history for the XX days prior to purchasing the plan. If you had no medical consultations, treatment or medication changes related to your conditions during the lookback period you are still ok too.  Also many plans will waive the pre-existing conditions clause if you meet their requirements.  Requirements often require you to insure all of your pre-paid non-refundable trip costs and purchase the insurance within a specified number of a days after making your initial trip deposit.

If you want to provide more details, someone can probably give you more specific advice. Some or all of this info will be helpful:

• What policy did you purchase?
  • When did you purchase the policy?
  • Did you insure all of your pre-paid non-refundable trip costs? Items where you can get a refund if you cancel don't need to be insured.
  • When did you make your initial trip deposit?
  • When were you diagnosed?
Edited by Jersey42
  • Thanks 1

Initial deposit was 2018, no hope there. Haven't actually purchased policy yet, but have  it reserved with my cruise fare. I would be buying it in the next 2 weeks with final payment, or when and if find a different policy I like better. I was diagnosed May 24. Yes, it covers all non-refundable fees.

12 minutes ago, 39august said:

Initial deposit was 2018, no hope there. Haven't actually purchased policy yet, but have  it reserved with my cruise fare. I would be buying it in the next 2 weeks with final payment, or when and if find a different policy I like better. I was diagnosed May 24. Yes, it covers all non-refundable fees.

Consider a policy that allows a waiver of pre-existing conditions at final payment like IMG LX. There are others as well. Since time is a factor, call a professional who can advise you rather than try to research all the possibilities yourself.

Many here rely on Trip Insurance Store for assistance. Explain your situation, and see what they recommend.

• Like 1

Sorry I misunderstood.  I thought you already had the insurance.  A couple of ideas:

• Call tripinsurancestore.com and see if they have anything that works for your situation.  I believe they offer plans that let you purchase up to final payment date and still get the pre-existing conditions waiver.  To purchase one of these plans, you must be medically able to travel when you purchase the plan.
  • Look at Cancel For Any Reason insurance.  You are probably too late for a third party plan, but look at the cruise line plan.  Unless you are on Holland America, the cruise line plans will only give you an FCC for 75-100% of the non-refundable cruise fare.  But that might work for you.  The biggest issue I have with the cruise line plans is very limited medical coverage.  So if you go that way, make sure you understand how your regular medical insurance works outside of the USA.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, 39august said:

I do have cancel for any reason with 90% back as future cruise credit. I will call tripinsurancestore.

Great.  The pre-existing condition will not prevent you from using your cancel for any reason insurance.  Steve or one of his team at tripinsurancestore might be able to find you something better.  At least you will know, and your worst case scenario if you have to cancel is the 90% FCC. You will also get back in cash any port taxes/fees. 

39august, there is a workaround. Since you haven't yet made final payment, just purchase a policy from an outside company that includes a pre-existing condition waiver. Most of them have it as long as you purchase at final payment. Don't bother with the cruise line insurance. And I don't think you need cancel for any reason insurance. You're only going to cancel based on your medical condition.

One other factor to consider. You might want to make sure your doctor feels you are healthy enough to cruise in September, at the time you purchase the insurance. I can see an insurance company balking at paying a claim if your doctor advised against travel before you purchased the insurance.

Edited by giustot