Nachi Cocum in June - Seaweed?

sboddy

We have reservations at Nachi next week. I saw on TripAdvisor someone went there on June 4th and said the beach was covered with the seaweed.

Has anyone had recent experience as I thought Cozumel wouldn’t be too bad. Maybe it was the tropical storm they had last week.

Thoughts? 

20 minutes ago, sboddy said:

We have reservations at Nachi next week. I saw on TripAdvisor someone went there on June 4th and said the beach was covered with the seaweed.

Has anyone had recent experience as I thought Cozumel wouldn’t be too bad. Maybe it was the tropical storm they had last week.

Thoughts? 

Sargassum problem on Cozumel is generally on the east side (coast faces same way as mainland Yucatan) but under certain weather conditions currents can bring it to the west side but  it is generally more temporary. 

I have been to Nachi when they did have quite bad sargassum, (not this year and “bad” is relative), and I have to say they did not seem particularly prepared or deal with it like places that are affected regularly and it wasn’t cleared away very intensely. Obviously it isn't there for weeks on end or accumulate en masse like some places.

Where would you switch to and go?

Mr. Sanchos, Playa Maya, Paradise Beach, etc. are all along the same stretch of beach on the west side.

If one club has seaweed they all have seaweed.

Just go and enjoy yourself. If the seaweed is too bad, Nachi has a phenominal pool area.

2 hours ago, bguppies said:

Where would you switch to and go?

Mr. Sanchos, Playa Maya, Paradise Beach, etc. are all along the same stretch of beach on the west side.

If one club has seaweed they all have seaweed.

Just go and enjoy yourself. If the seaweed is too bad, Nachi has a phenominal pool area.

I understand all would have the condition but it would  help me determine whether I do a beach day or change to another type of activity like a food tour etc. Thanks

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 6:25 AM, sboddy said:

I understand all would have the condition but it would  help me determine whether I do a beach day or change to another type of activity like a food tour etc. Thanks

Well I hope it eases up before you get there.

A day at Nachi is little slice of heaven. (even jammed in the hot tub in January)''

If you decide to pivot to another excursion, I hope you have a great time.

We were there on 06/10/22.  

The storm the prior week changed currents and brought some sargassum onto the West Side of the island.  Nachi staff showed photos from 05/30 week and it was bad.   Normal currents and winds had returned by our visit.  There was some normal seaweed floating around and on the ocean floor but not the floating sargassum.  Water was cloudy so snorkeling from shore was not worth effort.  

Food and Service were amazing...

Our first visit and we will return.

nachi.jpg

• Like 1