Bliss WiFi question

Salf777

Normally just use the internet package that comes included and use my phone as a hotspot for my computer when in port and it gets me by. Doing a 15 days cruise on the Bliss and may need to do some work. How is the upgraded WiFi they sell on the Bliss? If I need to do some work on a sea day how will the connection be? In port will my phone as a WiFi hotspot be better than the WiFi on the ship? I usually get good phone service in port with my AT&T international plan in most places. 
any suggestions welcome 

So, your first statement is that you have used the included package before. The "upgraded" package just change that from 125 minutes to unlimited wifi. The speed between the metered service and the unlimited service is the same. Depending on how you connect to your work, you may need to streaming service to open the ports needed for your VPN. 

The difference between surfing the web and working over a VPN is that the ship's wifi has a cache server that is trying to smartly pre-fetch web pages so that they are on the ship when you click on the link. That give you the appearance of "speed". 

11 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So, your first statement is that you have used the included package before. The "upgraded" package just change that from 125 minutes to unlimited wifi. The speed between the metered service and the unlimited service is the same. Depending on how you connect to your work, you may need to streaming service to open the ports needed for your VPN. 

The difference between surfing the web and working over a VPN is that the ship's wifi has a cache server that is trying to smartly pre-fetch web pages so that they are on the ship when you click on the link. That give you the appearance of "speed". 

Ok so obviously you know a bit more about this than I. So if you will indulge me I will try and explain. Yes we get the included 125 minutes. What I’m asking about is the upgrade to unlimited WiFi with “streaming “ as they say. I don’t stream video content for my work but I need some acceptable speed that has a fairly consistent connection. 

1 hour ago, Salf777 said:

Normally just use the internet package that comes included and use my phone as a hotspot for my computer when in port and it gets me by. Doing a 15 days cruise on the Bliss and may need to do some work. How is the upgraded WiFi they sell on the Bliss? If I need to do some work on a sea day how will the connection be? In port will my phone as a WiFi hotspot be better than the WiFi on the ship? I usually get good phone service in port with my AT&T international plan in most places. 
any suggestions welcome 

When and where will you be on the Bliss?  I have had different wi-fi experiences on the Bliss in Alaska vs. Mexico or the Caribbean.

10 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

When and where will you be on the Bliss?  I have had different wi-fi experiences on the Bliss in Alaska vs. Mexico or the Caribbean.

It’s a Panama Canal sailing from LA to Miami. Thank you 

you're much better off using your phone as a hot spot in port. much.

my experience with the premium wifi "for streaming" on board is that the speed provided is less than 2 Mbps... it's a scam and sham.

15 hours ago, Salf777 said:

Ok so obviously you know a bit more about this than I. So if you will indulge me I will try and explain. Yes we get the included 125 minutes. What I’m asking about is the upgrade to unlimited WiFi with “streaming “ as they say. I don’t stream video content for my work but I need some acceptable speed that has a fairly consistent connection. 

From a user's perspective, there is no appreciable increase in speed when you buy the streaming package. It just opens the ports required for many streaming services (in some cases the ports that would be required for a VPN - which many companies require). So, if you have used your 125 minutes before, it will be same speed regardless of what package you buy. 

Text-based emails, zoom, word processing you would be fine. It is when people send you or you want to send them large files via email that things get plugged up.