Flights included - not such a good deal

Ceepot

We have booked a cruise with flights included. 
The flight is from Manchester to Rome, about 2 1/2 hours. 
We have just noticed that instead of flying direct, we are now transferring via Amsterdam on the outbound with a 1 hour 20 connection. On the way home, we are connecting via Paris and won’t arrive home in Manchester until 11:20 pm. 
A quick check shows there are many direct options available. As we booked this cruise in October last year, I feel that both flight changes are unreasonable. These alterations were made on 1 April, looking at our ATOL certificate that was sent through, but I’ve only just noticed as this change wasn’t highlighted. 
We stand a good chance of missing our connection on the outbound, and the inbound flight lands 15 hours after we have to disembark the ship. 
Our TA has contacted Head Office and we are waiting to hear back. I am already stressing that we will miss our connecting flight, and therefore the start of our cruise. And the way home takes so long it will negate any happy vacation vibes! Final payment is due next week and we are thinking of cancelling if they can’t offer any better alternatives. 
Has anyone else had this situation? 

23 minutes ago, Ceepot said:

We have just noticed that instead of flying direct, we are now transferring via Amsterdam on the outbound with a 1 hour 20 connection. On the way home, we are connecting via Paris and won’t arrive home in Manchester until 11:20 pm. 
A quick check shows there are many direct options available. As we booked this cruise in October last year, I feel that both flight changes are unreasonable. These alterations were made on 1 April, looking at our ATOL certificate that was sent through, but I’ve only just noticed as this change wasn’t highlighted. 
We stand a good chance of missing our connection on the outbound, and the inbound flight lands 15 hours after we have to disembark the ship. 
Our TA has contacted Head Office and we are waiting to hear back. I am already stressing that we will miss our connecting flight, and therefore the start of our cruise. And the way home takes so long it will negate any happy vacation vibes! Final payment is due next week and we are thinking of cancelling if they can’t offer any better alternatives. 

Yes, I had a situation where booking my own flights gave me what I wanted; this is the first time, in quite a while that I am not using FBC.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ceepot said:

Were your previous flights through a budget airline? I am wandering if with the multiple cancellations they are making they have gone for a more reliable carrier. I know a few years ago (before all the covid complications) we had an option to fly direct to Barcelona with a budget line or fly via Frankfurt with Lufthansa. Even then the budget line had a poor reputation for last minute cancellations. Also the snag is if you chose the budget it is usually one flight daily. So, if your flight is cancelled, next day (seating available) is your next option. Whereas, in our example, Lufthansa had (if I remember correctly) 3 further flights to Frankfurt and then two further options on to Barcelona. With budget airlines as they are at present I would only consider a budget airline if I was flying in 2/3 days early. There is a website called flightstats. You can enter your departure and arrival airports and look up the reliability for different airlines. 

Probably worthwhile looking yourself and ‘choose’ flights you would be comfortable with and then pass this information on to your TA and let them see what they can do…Also,  I would also ask your TA to look at options for flying in the day before and overnighting. Yes, an additional cost but even in ‘normal’ times flying in same day is stressful and times at present are far from normal…

Sincere best wishes that you manage to sort…

Edited by chemmo
  • Thanks 1

The flights will be legal connections so they may be tighter than you would prefer, but they will meet the regulations.

This is why we don't use Celebrity for our flights though as they seem to be focused on cost not convenience and even legal connections can be very risky if you are in less than peak physical condition 🙂

May be worth looking at the cost of dropping the 'included' flights and booking your own rather than cancelling the whole cruise, if that is possible?

• Thanks 1

Just in. Ase it is running late, pack all the things you wouldn't won't to be without in you carry on. Our niece, made the flight, but her one and only case didn't. Had to pick up some emergency  clothes and shoes to attend the wedding. Not what she wanted to be wearing on the day.