UK travellers wanting to cruise Hawaii

C4HCG

Hi - we are looking for tips on the best company to use and itinerary for a 2 week cruise, August or September. We would be looking at flying to the US or Canada, wouldn’t want to do one from Australia or New Zealand. We are novice cruisers and on our 4 cruises done, have gone with Celebrity so would be looking for similar, wouldn’t want to be on ships that cater for younger people mainly.

Start looking at who does the US West Coast to Hawaii cruises.  Many cruise lines do them...in your target market, Holland America,  Royal Caribbean, Celebrity,  Princess are all doing them.

The "season " for those cruises is October  to May...you might find a couple in later September,  frequently sailing out of Vancouver. They are longer cruises...14 days and more, mostly during the school year, so the number of children will typically be very low.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Start looking at who does the US West Coast to Hawaii cruises.  Many cruise lines do them...in your target market, Holland America,  Royal Caribbean, Celebrity,  Princess are all doing them.

The "season " for those cruises is October  to May...you might find a couple in later September,  frequently sailing out of Vancouver. They are longer cruises...14 days and more, mostly during the school year, so the number of children will typically be very low.

Thank you - what’s the weather like october to may?

The weather in Hawaii doesn't change much. Figure 70s to 80s F. most of the year...somewhat wetter December to March. Rain is rarely a factor in touring in Hawaii.

Of course, several of those months are winter on the West Coast of North America, so cold and wet is a possibility. It will certainly be cooler theorist day or two departing the West Coast,  and the last day or two returning. 

There is a lot of info here if you read around the board. Also check the West Coast Departures board. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Thank you - what’s the weather like october to may?

October to May is cooler then in the summer months, also our rainy season starts in November and last until April, I generally tell people who are looking for a warm sunny vacation to avoid coming to Hawaii December through February as we can get some fairly nasty weather.. but it certainly is hit or miss. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've done LA to LA 15 night cruises on Princess three times and have two more scheduled. We also did San Diego to San Diego on HAL once too.

There is ZERO reason to avoid Hawaii December through February. Our last Hawaii cruise was February 2020 just before cruising got shut down. It was a fabulous cruise and when we dropped anchor in Lahaina, we saw dozens of whales from our balcony. One of our upcoming cruises is Dec 2022 and we are looking forward to it.

On 6/22/2022 at 6:01 PM, scottca075 said:

We've done LA to LA 15 night cruises on Princess three times and have two more scheduled. We also did San Diego to San Diego on HAL once too.

There is ZERO reason to avoid Hawaii December through February. Our last Hawaii cruise was February 2020 just before cruising got shut down. It was a fabulous cruise and when we dropped anchor in Lahaina, we saw dozens of whales from our balcony. One of our upcoming cruises is Dec 2022 and we are looking forward to it.

Yes the winter months are whale season and it is awesome to be able to see the whales and if you don’t mind having possibly multiple days of rain and overcast weather then by all means come during the rainy season. I however would not recommend coming to Hawaii for the first time during the rainy winter months..but what do I know? Most people envision Hawaii as this warm sunny tropical paradise and most of the time it is.. but you are gambling on the weather in those months.. it can be rainy and surprisingly chilly with multiple days of overcast conditions. 

The "rainy season" isn't all that rainy compared to many tropical areas and it varies not only by island, but by the part of the island.

The OP isn't looking at renting a cottage in Hanalei for two weeks in December, but looking at a 15 day cruise that hits Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Hawaii Island only 4 days of the 15.

Although I don't live in HI currently, I have. I grew up on Oahu and my eldest brother still lives there as do two of my nephews and assorted other family on Oahu, Kauai and Maui.

Sure it CAN be chilly, but the average temp (Daily High) in December is still 80°F.