Oceania vs NCL

michelew650

I checked this topic and last answers were from 2014-15. With Covid winding down we'd like to do an Ireland/British Isles cruise. We have sailed Royal Caribbean many times, never any other lines. The two choices for that area seem to be Oceania and NCL. I have done much research but other than $1-2000 difference it's hard to tell. Can't find shore excursion prices without being booked. I have read older vs younger crowd and fancier food but why not ask the experts 

8 hours ago, michelew650 said:

I checked this topic and last answers were from 2014-15. With Covid winding down we'd like to do an Ireland/British Isles cruise. We have sailed Royal Caribbean many times, never any other lines. The two choices for that area seem to be Oceania and NCL. I have done much research but other than $1-2000 difference it's hard to tell. Can't find shore excursion prices without being booked. I have read older vs younger crowd and fancier food but why not ask the experts 

Howdy @michelew650 emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum! 👍 However, your thread was off topic there. That forum is for technical assistance in using these message boardsTo help you out I have moved your thread to the UK Cruisers forum. That way the experts from the area will see your thread. emo34.gif

I suggest you use the Follow feature on this newly moved thread or any other thread or forum where you are interested in the future replies. You will not have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts because they will all come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

I've cruised once with Oceania. It really suited us - good food, relaxed atmosphere, no formality in the dress code.  We should have just finished our second Oceania cruise but were Covid cancelled.

Have also done a short cruise, from Miami, with NCL.  It was fine for a few days but we didnt think quality was a patch on Oceania.

Oceania usually has some perks to offer - beverage deal, onboard credit or a number of free excursions. The latter may be of interest to you. They tend to be the more basic excursion at each port and are valued at around €100 each.

I was  considering a Viking cruise and wanted to compare with Oceania. I posted on both the Oceania and Viking forums, asking for comparisions. Reason for both is I expected, and got, slightly different responses from the fans of the differing lines. Might be worthwhile you doing similar.

We have cruised with both lines. They are owned by the same parent company but they are very different.

We think of NCL as party ships. Oceania is much more refined with better food, nicer cabins but it comes at a price. We have only done one NCL cruise, over a Christmas and new year and it was great fun, but we have done 2 with Oceania and would go with them over NCL any day. Look out for late availability where you can get drinks, tours and onboard spend all included.

• 1 month later...

I’ve cruised with both lines.

Oceania is far superior in service and food than NCL but NCL’s food and service is fine. Oceania’s entertainment is low-key whereas NCL’s is more up beat.
We love Oceania’s small ship experience and that All non alcoholic drinks are free eg latte’s, fizzy juice, non alcoholic cocktails, smoothies etc. Oceania is a very polished operation whereas NCL’s can be a bit haphazard. 

Oceania’s tours will be more expensive than NCL but most ports in the U.K. are doable on your own or by using local tours.

Only you can decide which will suit you and work out which, for you, is the best value.

Edited by Issyalex