Carnival WiFi Packages

mr. godfredo

We are going to be sailing on the Spirit next week to Alaska and am considering which internet package to get for my kids. They like to watch YouTube videos as well as Ticktock. They also are big Instagram users. Will the value package suffice or should I pay the extra $3 per day for the premium? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I just got off the Spirit this last week.  For anything that uses a large amount of data such as video I would recommend the higher package.  With that said the internet speed on the ship was horrible at best.  We had the premium package and could not do any web browsing for 3 straight days and even when it did work it was slow and not very good.  You should have cell coverage in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArchieCruise said:

I just got off the Spirit this last week.  For anything that uses a large amount of data such as video I would recommend the higher package.  With that said the internet speed on the ship was horrible at best.  We had the premium package and could not do any web browsing for 3 straight days and even when it did work it was slow and not very good.  You should have cell coverage in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria.  

Thanks for the prompt response!

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2022 at 10:59 AM, ArchieCruise said:

We had the premium package and could not do any web browsing for 3 straight days and even when it did work it was slow and not very good.  You should have cell coverage in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria.  

That is terrible!

Did they charge you for those days?

Save your money and just use cellular when you are in port in Alaska. The satellite internet on Carnival is not up to par and certainly not worth what they charge in my opinion.

My understanding is in Alaska due to the curvature of the earth there are times where coverage is not available.

• Like 1

I sometimes work while cruising. I usually send things back and forth over emails and only use the Value plan.  

However, if I could actually connect to my firm’s server,  it would make things easier.  Using the PREMIER WiFi, is that even possible?

I use a VPN when logging in from home.  Would it be secure from a ship?

If anyone has done this before, I’d like to hear about your experience.  Thanks. 

Just get them the social media package. They can browse FB/Insta and use cell signal in port. The internet is terrible and usually only works well late at night or early in the morning when everyones sleeping. 

On 7/17/2022 at 9:50 AM, audcc77 said:

I sometimes work while cruising. I usually send things back and forth over emails and only use the Value plan.  

However, if I could actually connect to my firm’s server,  it would make things easier.  Using the PREMIER WiFi, is that even possible?

I use a VPN when logging in from home.  Would it be secure from a ship?

If anyone has done this before, I’d like to hear about your experience.  Thanks. 

Carnival says VPNs are not supported. I don't know if that means they specifically block them, or if they simply won't help you if it doesn't work. They say the same thing about Facetime and in my experience it works fine.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/18/2022 at 2:15 PM, mz-s said:

Carnival says VPNs are not supported. I don't know if that means they specifically block them, or if they simply won't help you if it doesn't work. They say the same thing about Facetime and in my experience it works fine.

In your experience, what internet package could you use Facetime with?  Premium only, or one of the lower tier plans?  About to head out on the Carnival Freedom on 1/12 and want to have some form of communication with grandparents that will be keeping the children.

On 7/17/2022 at 9:32 AM, mz-s said:

Save your money and just use cellular when you are in port in Alaska. The satellite internet on Carnival is not up to par and certainly not worth what they charge in my opinion.

This varies by ship a lot.  Our service on the Horizon was great; my service on the Sunrise was terrible.   It can also vary widely based on area:  I've found that Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries can vary even with the same ship. 

On 7/17/2022 at 9:32 AM, mz-s said:

My understanding is in Alaska due to the curvature of the earth there are times where coverage is not available.

Most communications satellites are in geosynchronous orbits, or geostationary orbits, above the Equator.   Some orbit lower but are also centered on the Equator.  Coverage in the far North and the far South is accordingly... troublesome. 

While Starlink might offer some relief, even the current at-sea coverage maps for Starlink are quite spotty.  (There's a good scholarly discussion about all this on the RCCL board currently.)   

5 hours ago, Pugh1785 said:

In your experience, what internet package could you use Facetime with?  Premium only, or one of the lower tier plans?  About to head out on the Carnival Freedom on 1/12 and want to have some form of communication with grandparents that will be keeping the children.

Probably Premium, for Facetime, since it involves video.   And then you'll have to hope for fast enough service.  😮  

If you can get by with audio-only calls, you can use, e.g., FB Messenger with the Value plan under normal circumstances.   Unfortunately, Carnival seems to port-block Wi-Fi calling -- making and receiving regular phone calls using a Wi-Fi signal.    RCCL does not block this, so in this, "advantage: Royal."  

Edited by Pellaz
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pugh1785 said:

We were on Freedom for Thanksgiving and was so frustrated with the WiFi ("Premium" plan) that I went to Guest Services and cancelled it (and I'm fully aware that the normal Carnival WiFi is very mediocre at best).  There were long stretches of time when it wouldn't work at all, and then when it was working it was extremely slow.  I wouldn't count on live video being useable, you'd better have a backup plan that includes email or facebook messenger.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pugh1785 said:

If you have to do video you're going to have the best experience with Premium. If you can make due with Facetime audio or Facebook messenger audio calls, then value or even social should work.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2022 at 11:53 AM, mr. godfredo said:

YouTube videos as well as Ticktock.

On the dream, TikTok was relatively fast with the premium plan, and YouTube as well. YMMV, as ship wifi can be really hit or miss depending on traffic, time of day, itinerary, age of network infrastructure onboard, cabin location and your physical location on deck. When I was on RCL in May, the wifi worked great everywhere except for my own stateroom. On Carnival Dream in December, it was great and fast everywhere.

Edited by notscb

17 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

only does phone calls

Where are you cruising to? For us, our verizon unlimited plan covered us for some data + unlimited talk/text while we were in Mexico and covers a bunch of other countries- it might be worth exploring if you travel frequently. Verizon also has a travel pass program where for $10/day ( i think) you can get temporary (24 hour) service- I can't remember if the Travel Pass program only covers Canada+Mexico or if other countries are included, but might be worth looking into.

5 hours ago, notscb said:

Where are you cruising to? For us, our verizon unlimited plan covered us for some data + unlimited talk/text while we were in Mexico and covers a bunch of other countries- it might be worth exploring if you travel frequently. Verizon also has a travel pass program where for $10/day ( i think) you can get temporary (24 hour) service- I can't remember if the Travel Pass program only covers Canada+Mexico or if other countries are included, but might be worth looking into.

Were covered with verizon while we're in Mexico but not on the sea day. We'll probably have to do the $2.99/minute verizon ship rate - & I'm sure you know how slow 93 year olds talk, haha!

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

Were covered with verizon while we're in Mexico but not on the sea day. We'll probably have to do the $2.99/minute verizon ship rate - & I'm sure you know how slow 93 year olds talk, haha!

i believe the rates to call from the ship is $1.99 a minute. I don't use it so it might have been raised recently.

7 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

i believe the rates to call from the ship is $1.99 a minute. I don't use it so it might have been raised recently.

That's the rate I remember for using the in-cabin phone. But when using your cell phone you're dependent upon your cell carrier's roaming rates and that can well be $2.99 a minute.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mz-s said:

That's the rate I remember for using the in-cabin phone. But when using your cell phone you're dependent upon your cell carrier's roaming rates and that can well be $2.99 a minute.

OK it's still the same then.🙂 I just thought I'd throw that in there for the person that was going to pay $2.99 a minute with their cell phone. 

8 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

OK it's still the same then.🙂 I just thought I'd throw that in there for the person that was going to pay $2.99 a minute with their cell phone. 

That was the price I remember being mentioned in the Hub app in September. May or may not be the same now.