Thoughts on these Eastern Caribbean cruises for February

My husband and I were looking at cruising the 3rd week of February. We are travelling from Atlantic Canada so usually arrive 2 days before and it looks like we can't fly into Miami with the airline and companion voucher we are using, so we would be flying into Fort Lauderdale or Orlando. There are 4 cruises of 4 different class ships and 4 different lengths. We have done Eastern/Southern a few times before and are more for relaxing and beach than sightseeing this time. Probably booking ocean view or inside with walkway view on Freedom or Magic.

From Port Canaveral

5 day Freedom to Amber Cove and Grand Turk

6 day Magic to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk and Amber Cove

7 day Mardi Gras to San Juan, Amber Cove, Grand Turk

or From Miami

8 day Horizon to Amber Cove, La Romana, Bonaire and Aruba

We have sailed on 3 other Conquest size ships and the Breeze but never the other 2 classes. Not sure how many days is best - as we have to add travel days etc.

Price wise they seem to work our close per night other than the Mardi Gras which is higher, slightly more than the 8 night Horizon. We've never been to Amber Cove. I like the Magic itinerary because of HMC which was a complete rain out the only time we went there (we tendered but weather was really bad, so just short walk around) We've been to San Juan and Aruba twice, never been to Bonaire and we didn't get off boat in La Romana as we had some security concerns, but might consider an excursion. Thoughts?

Well, we like 8 day over 7 day.  And 7 over 6.  Etc.  

Price per day can impact our decision however.  Unless the higher priced option has a better itinerary, ship or departure port.  Miami > Canaveral unless flight cost prohibitive.  We arrive a day early MIA/FLL..dont feel need to do so Canaveral.  

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

If I'm flying I'd prefer Miami, just easier to deal with (especially since the airport is just a few minutes from the cruise port). And I'd prefer the longer cruise.

My thoughts exactly - you are traveling a long way, make the most of it with a 7 or 8 day cruise. 

All of those are are really great options for what you are looking for.  It's just personal preference, but I would probably choose Mardi Gras over Horizon (it's really a close call though... we have been on both and love them both).  We have been on Mardi Gras twice (once at about 50% capacity and once fully booked) and we loved it both times.  If you like to stay busy, there is a ton to do on this ship, but if you prefer to relax in the sun and/or read a book, I could always find spot for that too.  But than again, after 20+ cruises, maybe we just favored a new unique ship.  They are both great.  Enjoy your trip!

If flying into Fort Lauderdale is an option to use you companion passes, then that is also a good place for a cruise out of Miami. It is a little further away but still a great option. Flight prices for me are always drastically better there so that is were we typically fly in to.  I too am partial to the 8 night option and love Amber Cove as a relaxing day. 

In February I'd be looking at temperatures along with length.

Now for me coming from Charleston,SC where my temps at home in February range from 50's-70's versus somebody from Minnesota where it is probably below zero, anything in the bahamas will be almost like staying home.

So 5 day, chilliest, 6 day chilly, 7  day at least San Juan should be toasty, 8 day sounds delightful, getting much closer to the equator and warmer temps in February.

If your flying in from up north, any of them would be a nice treat.

We had a similar set of choices for our cruise in October, and went with the 8 day on Horizon.  The 7 day Mardi Gras trip also was very attractive though.  In the end, that 8 day southern trip isn't always easy to coordinate/afford for us, so we chose it.  The other trips are usually a bit easier to make happen.  

If everything else seems the same, I'd avoid 5 or 6 days, just to make the trip more worth your while.  Not sure how much ship age/size plays a role, but the Mardi Gras and Horizon are much newer ships.  I'd also be concerned about the more northern ports temperatures being too cool for water activities.  

I would go with the Horizon, as FLL to Miami is only about 30 minutes while Orlando to Port Canaveral is one hour, and it is easy to get around FLL for a day or two pre-cruise.  But if you really want to do a new ship, the Mardi Gras is amazing.  We are doing our third cruise on her in September. 

Guest BasicSailor

Mardi Gras more people, let me say that again More People.  Horizon 8 Day wins this one. Aruba is the port to enjoy for sure

I'd choose the 8 Day Horizon. We did that one last August. Amber Cove is BEAUTIFUL in my opinion. La Romana has better beaches, though, IMO. If you get off at La Romana, we did a day pass at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach. The port taxis will take you there and back (about 15 minute ride). The water and beach is nice, tons of fish just swimming around if you plan to snorkel, there's a buffet, snack shops, restaurants, bars, and pools that come with an all-inclusive. 

Since Bonaire was replaced on our itinerary with Curacao instead due to COVID cases at the time, I don't know how it is. Aruba was alright, but not our favorite island. But I would still choose Aruba over HMC.

With the cost difference between just being on a newer ship like Mardi Gras, I'd save my money and do more ports more days. Horizon is still a nice ship, our favorite of the four we've been on.

I did the 8 day Horizon itinerary earlier this year, I highly recommend it if you can make the flights work for you.

I will be on the 7 day Mardi Gras next February. This is more of the ship is the destination, although I am looking forward to all three port calls.

One of the things to possibly consider is a B2B of two of the shorter cruises.  Itineraries can be cobbled together in such a way that you don't repeat ports.  If that's impractical, I'd personally choose the 8 day.