Flying with Manual Wheelchair

Rafter

In a few weeks I will be flying to our cruise - this will be the first time that we will be traveling with a manual wheelchair for my father (we are renting it local for our cruise).

Can anyone provide me any suggestions or tips that they have learned previously with the best way to fly with a wheelchair (such as gate check or luggage check).

I have already contacted the airlines and we are all set with letting them know we will be traveling with the wheelchair.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Thanks for all of the advice that I have been reviewing over the past few weeks!! This board has been a great source of information that should make our cruise more enjoyable

Rafter

When you check in at the airport - Logan/BOS? - tell them to tag the chair, and you are taking it to the gate. Be sure you also have a unique & highly visible personal ID tag on the chair as passengers are quick to grab any W/C they see when exiting the plane at their final destination.

The condition of the W/C's at Logan is pathetic and the wait time to obtain one is even worse. We are flying out to Bos to SJU in a few weeks and plan to take both rolling walker and W/C to the gate.

Darcy

Rafter,

My DH takes his manual wheelchair and walker on all trips. If we do curbside check-in, we have wheelchair assistants from the airline take him in his wheelchair through the terminal and security. The same can be done with counter check-in. He takes his chair and walker to the gate and to the door of the plane. They usually tag and put them in the belly. However, last month American Airlines put both in a closet on the plane on all 3 flights. If they put it in the cargo hold, I take the footrests off and put them in the overhead bins or closet. We have had them damaged when left on. We fly in and out of O'Hare or Midway and have never had anything but good service and assistance. We cruise with Princess and they have been very helpful to him. We have no complaints with their attention and assistance.

Enjoy your cruise.

We gate check our's. A couple of hints:

- Be sure to remind the cabin attendant towards the end of the flight that

you need it brought back to the plane.

- Either attach the leg rests to the chair using bungee cords or take them

aboard the plane with you.

- Consider taking a little bubble wrap and tape so you can protect the arm

rests. If you do so, make sure that the tape does not touch the arm

rest as it will leave a stick residue.

I started doing this last year and was surprised how easy it is, even on international flights. I would have started earlier if I had known how easy and non-stressful it is. You just wheel right up to gate and they take the chair, since they let you on first it is no problem. Only catch is we are the last ones off, since we don't want to block everyone with our slow progress off. For international entries they even help you specially through customs.

• 4 weeks later...

We fly often with our own chair, you will be the last one off of the plane, which is okay with us. Check out the chair that you rented, sometimes they are too big to fold up and put in cab. I just purchased an inexpensive light weight chair for under $150 at local warehouse store. It folds up and has the smaller wheels that are some times harder to push but to me worth the convience for me the lifter.

There are some great buys on wheelchairs on Ebay.com

I found recently that there is a place you can select to only view items in within your own area so you can save a lot on postage if you can pick it up.

I saved $60. on a new rollator there rather than buying it from a medical store.

So glad someone asked this question! I had been wondering the same thing. I don't want to check anything because there isn't a lot of time between when our flight lands and when our ship sails. Won't waste time at the baggage claim.

My Mom will be in a wheel chair for the 1st time so this is all new to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience checking a walker (the kind with a fold down seat) through as luggage? We'd like to take both with us, but it will be difficult to manage everything without checking the walker--but are we just asking for lots of damage?

Gate check the walker. This way you have it as soon as you arrive, and can also get it for connections. Otherwise you will have to go to baggage claim to get it at the end of your trip, and will have no access for connections. It is less likely to be damaged this way too.

Thanks, Splinter. I think you're right about the damage. As for availability, we will be using the wheelchair from gate to gate, etc., and will have to pick up the rest of our luggage anyway. Checking it like luggage would be so much more convenient, but not if it gets damaged--not worth it!

We have flown many times with a WC and found that if we take it to the gate ourselves, it is more convenient. Don't go without a bungie cord to hold it in a folded position! It also can help hold a seat cushion in position when it is stored.

Does anyone have any experience checking a walker (the kind with a fold down seat) through as luggage? We'd like to take both with us, but it will be difficult to manage everything without checking the walker--but are we just asking for lots of damage?

Before we left home, we taped bubble wrap in many places on the walker.

Just folded it up first. And we didn't but the brakes on the hand grips - so it could still be rolled. Just have to have someone who can kind of guide the walker since you will only be using two wheels - so it won't stand up right.

We put bubble wrap around the handle bars - the seat - even on the sides where the "wires" are. And bring extra tape and possible extra bubble wrap for the return trip. Then check it at the counter. Our experience is that you need to check at the counter - not at the curb.

Then we just take the manual wheelchair to the gate for check in. Less trouble that way. And you pick up the walker at baggage - usually in a place along the walls - not with the luggage going around the bins.

We just left the walker all bundled up until we were in our cabin - using the wheelchair for boarding the ship.

Be sure to have luggage tags on the walker - as well as the colored tag for the ship.

mine fits in the overhead rack on the plane

Archived