Best place for Fish & Chips

wblotner66

Another vote for Hanger on the Wharf in Juneau.  We ate halibut and chips there a couple of weeks ago.  It's within easy walking distance of the pier (we were on Ovation).  If you grab a table outside on the deck you can watch the sea planes come and go, as well.

Two locals that day recommended Sandbar as the best in town, but as others have noted it's a bit inconvenient to get there from the pier.

On 9/1/2022 at 9:27 PM, Dancing Shoes said:

At Icy Strait we took the shuttle into Hoonah.  There is a place called the Fisherman's Daughter.  They have halibut fish n chips.  They were small chunks.  Good, but I have never seen them served that small.  

The BEST meal I had on my trip was at the Fisherman’s Daughter! I don’t like fish tacos normally, but they were AMAZING! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 6:01 PM, djacobson said:

Arthur Frommer recommended Burger Queen in Ketchikan. Great Halibut and Chips.  It is located at 518 Water Street in Ketchikan. 

I have had the halibut sandwich from Burger Queen and it was outstanding!  It's a teeny little shack, though, with only a table or two out front to eat.  But here's a tip.  Next door is a bar called The Asylum. It's nothing fancy, but a typical neighborhood bar with a nice patio.  You can order food from Burger Queen through the servers there and they will bring it over right to your table.  The Asylum has good drink prices and free wi-fi as well.  Super nice folks working in there. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 4:14 PM, Sea Hag said:

I certainly know about sticker shock at the supermarket, and I certainly know that people have found prices high in Alaska in the past. Living in California, we didn't ever notice that much. I have no quarrel with this place charging that much for fish and chips, and I certainly have no quarrel with anybody who's happy to pay. I just won't. 😃

Last year in Maryland we paid $40 per crab cake at a local restaurant. Talk about sticker shock 😵

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, janice2348 said:

Last year in Maryland we paid $40 per crab cake at a local restaurant. Talk about sticker shock 😵

WOW!  If the crab cake was packed with Crab without a lot of filler, probably, it was worth it.  My grocery's seafood department sells almost a pure crab cake and they are not inexpensive.  

Be prepared for crab sticker shock next summer in Alaska.  This week our Alaska Department of Fish and Game has cancelled the snow crab season in the Bering Sea and the king crab season in Bristol Bay.  The cancellation of the king crab fishery in Bristol Bay is for the second year in a row.  The decision was made due to significantly decreasing stocks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 2:45 PM, rkacruiser said:

WOW!  If the crab cake was packed with Crab without a lot of filler, probably, it was worth it.  My grocery's seafood department sells almost a pure crab cake and they are not inexpensive.  

Yep mostly crab. But we weren’t prepared.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2022 at 1:31 PM, mpk said:

Did you rent a car to get there?   A cab ride is about $25 from the cruise dock to Sandbar.

OMG. Then it becomes a $100 fish and chips in 2024...

• Haha 1