Day trip from Naples to Amalfi and Sorrento

JRos

Hi,

Our ship is going to be in Naples towards the end of October for the day (Wonder of the Seas). Is there a company that one recommends that can drive us to Amalfi to spend some time, and then on to Sorrento, before taking us back to the port? We don’t need a guided tour, just the means to get there . 

if anyone has any recommendations or advice, I’d be really appreciative. 🙂 🙂 

Edited by JRos

When I researched for my 2019 cruise I read past trip reports to find recommended vendors, such as italytours.eu, joebananalimo, aldolimo, romeinlimo, and more.  Most of these companies offer private tours and/or shared tours. 

However we decided on the private driver option so we could determine what to see, where to go, and how long to stay. For instance we hadn't heard great things about Sorrento so we skipped it, and we wanted a view from the sea so we took the ferry from Positano to Amalfi.   We also paid for 1 additional hr to get the most of our day. 

In 2019 it was about 400-450E to hire a minivan and driver for an 8hr day.  Many people use their Roll Call to find others to share the expense.  We were a group of 4. The van held 8 but I think more than 6 might be tight.  Check with the companies to see if they have smaller cars and perhaps a shorter day.

Good luck!

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

When I researched for my 2019 cruise I read past trip reports to find recommended vendors, such as italytours.eu, joebananalimo, aldolimo, romeinlimo, and more.  Most of these companies offer private tours and/or shared tours. 

However we decided on the private driver option so we could determine what to see, where to go, and how long to stay. For instance we hadn't heard great things about Sorrento so we skipped it, and we wanted a view from the sea so we took the ferry from Positano to Amalfi.   We also paid for 1 additional hr to get the most of our day. 

In 2019 it was about 400-450E to hire a minivan and driver for an 8hr day.  Many people use their Roll Call to find others to share the expense.  We were a group of 4. The van held 8 but I think more than 6 might be tight.  Check with the companies to see if they have smaller cars and perhaps a shorter day.

Good luck!

thanks so much! I’m trying to find others on our cruise. It doesn’t help that we booked sort of late in the game too. Most people have their plans all organized by now.  Im now leaning on booking a day trip through the cruise, which I was trying to avoid. 

I was surprised at how many people were scrambling at the last minute to find excursions.  They had done zero research and were asking other pax if their tour had room for one more couple.

And by last minute, I mean 2 weeks before the cruise!   So don't give up.

Just thought of another option.  Joe Banana Limo has Italytoursharing.com.  They have many tour options from Naples and give people the ability to sign up and share the cost with others.  Select one of the  tours, go to your specific date and see if anything has been started

Naples Port Shared Shore Excursion (italytoursharing.com)

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Trying to decide on different options for an Amalfi Tour.  As mentioned above and in other posts, Sorrento seems to be a stop that people say can be missed (at least when compared to other stops : Amalfi, Positano, Ravello). What's the reason(s), other than allowing more time in the other stops.

Maybe people feel more comfortable there because it's as close to a British resort as you'll find while still being an Italian town?  Sorrento is also significantly larger than the three Amalfi Coast villages (Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast, it is part of the Sorrentine peninsula).

All four of these locations are heavily touristed.

If you're on a tour and Sorrento is the last stop, I would seriously consider leaving the tour in Sorrento and getting back to Naples on my own using the ferry.  It's an easy and quick ferry ride (45 minutes), faster than a car or bus can make the trip on land and far, far more comfortable.

Edited by euro cruiser

We just did a private tour of the Amalfi Coast with just the two of us with Rome in Limo. We visited Ravello Amalfi and Positano.  We were picked up early as we were one of the first off the ship and headed straight to Ravello where we wandered around as many of the shopkeepers were just opening their shops. When we booked this excursion We had originally wanted to visit Sorrento but we’re told we would have to give up one of the other cities which we did not want to do as there is just not the time with all the traffic on the coastal drive.  We saw points of interest on this tour we had not seen in our prior trips. We also had the wonderful experience of being able to linger having a fantastic lunch on the hillside overlooking Positano with our beautiful table for two view.  It’s experienced like this that you will remember for years to come.  You can also customize these excursions with RIL to fit your interests.