Earliest Disembarkation Time (Piraeus Port)

cruisinsusin

We are longtime Celebrity cruisers who regularly self disembark. We will be on our first Azamara cruise this fall ( very excited)-what is typically the earliest time for disembarking? Is the self disembarking process similar to that on Celebrity? Will there be abundant taxis at Piraeus or should we pre-book a transfer service?

Thanks for any advice/insights!

I too would be interested in early Piraeus disembarkation.  Our particular cruise stops in several Greek ports before ending in Piraeus - can I assume that all custom issues will have been addressed before arriving at Piraeus?

3 hours ago, NewSalty said:

I too would be interested in early Piraeus disembarkation.  Our particular cruise stops in several Greek ports before ending in Piraeus - can I assume that all custom issues will have been addressed before arriving at Piraeus?

Unfortunately no.  Piraeus is a port where things are always changing due to either local rules or disputes/strikes.  Last October, the earliest groups got off about 0745.  Open time aren’t given group numbers just a time range (for that trip it was 0730-0900). Group numbers are for those going on tours, airport and hotel drop offs organised by the cruiseline, those requesting first time slot to walk off and other travel agent groups). You still get a number on your tag, just to make it easier to find your luggage in the terminal  I think it was tags 6-10 that were allocated.

You can also self disembark taking your own luggage, again it has that wide time range unless you need to be in the first group.

Its so easy (sadly) the disembarkation process

You could prebook a taxi, we use Welcome Pickups. Lovely cars often work out cheaper as well. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

Thanks to all who replied! Sounds like we can self disembark fairly early and although there should be plenty of taxis, will probably pre-book a car so we don’t have any negotiations or surprises.

Good idea! Today when we came in on the ferry from Aegina a  very aggressive taxi driver grabbed us inside the port and took us to his taxi and told me it would be €15 to the Alex hotel. We had paid €10 on the way there several days earlier and I told him I would pay 10 euro. When we arrived at the hotel he kept insisting I had to give him another five and I flatly refused. He was very rude and drove us around to the back of the hotel instead of driving us up to the front because he had seen an attractive young woman who had tried to hail his cab a few blocks away and wanted to circle back to her. We were very happy that we prebooked a driver to pick us up at the airport and also meet us at the port at the end of our 10 day Greece intensive cruise. 
Way less stressful!

Edited by yogagal47
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We will be self disembarking in Piraeus and I am looking to pre book a car.

We will not be in any particular rush as our flights are later.

What is the latest time you can disembark? 
If I book with  Welcome Pickups do they wait if you are delayed getting off the ship?

Thanks for any suggestions 

13 minutes ago, sarahuk said:

Hi,

If I book with  Welcome Pickups do they wait if you are delayed getting off the ship?

I found they were flexible. I would go for a 0915 pick up as that gives a late off and allows for delays 

• 7 months later...
On 7/10/2022 at 10:28 PM, sarahuk said:

Hi,

Hi, just stumbled upon your post while reading procedure on disembarking in Piraeus. 

We arrive there on an Azamara ship at 5am. 

I have booked Welcome Pickups for 8.30 but wonder if that will mean a lot of hanging around time. 

How did you find the disembarking process? Does it take long being processed through customs etc? Did you end up taking your luggage with you and is it difficult dragging that down ramps etc? 

Hoping you can provide some insight. 

Many thanks 😊

Even though the ship arrives at 5 it’s unlikely they will start processing the disembarkation much before 7.  You then leave at a time between then and just before 9 of your choosing. It’s a very civilised process and most cruise directors don’t even make repeated announcements. Your timing with Welcome Pickups is perfect. You can walk off around 8.10 and have no waiting around ashore 

Athens is flat. Your luggage is taken off for you overnight you only have carryons. So no hassle there 

Edited by uktog

24 minutes ago, uktog said:

Even though the ship arrives at 5 it’s unlikely they will start processing the disembarkation much before 7.  You then leave at a time between then and just before 9 of your choosing. It’s a very civilised process and most cruise directors don’t even make repeated announcements. Your timing with Welcome Pickups is perfect. You can walk off around 8.10 and have no waiting around ashore 

Athens is flat. Your luggage is taken off for you overnight you only have carryons. So no hassle there 

Thanks so much for that info. That eases my mind a lot! 

I will add that Azamara was very accomodating - we had a very tight connection to a ferry in the port, and got out much sooner than I would have expected.  (Unfortunately, the ferry ended up being cancelled at the last second - the Greek ferries are notorius!)

• Like 1