Disabled cabin

miss-heli

We are looking at a cruise later this year and have been offered a Cat 5 disabled cabin. ( we have no need for one)

If we take the cabin and then someone who needs such a cabin books would we just be moved to what is left available ??

Anyone experienced this situation.

TIA   

7 minutes ago, miss-heli said:

We are looking at a cruise later this year and have been offered a Cat 5 disabled cabin. ( we have no need for one)

If we take the cabin and then someone who needs such a cabin books would we just be moved to what is left available ??

Anyone experienced this situation.

TIA   

You could be - but usually the move might involve moving to a better cabin

• Like 1

• Why are able-bodied guests in accessible staterooms?

We hold accessible staterooms for guests with disabilities until all non-accessible staterooms in a category are reserved. At that time, accessible staterooms are released to general inventory and may be reserved by a guest without a disability.

-- FAQs | Azamara

How much later this year? I wouldn’t take that cabin if there is an alternative as you may be preventing some one who needs it from being able to go on the cruise. If it’s only a few weeks away and there's nothing else left then there’s no reason for you not to take it. 

I’ve been waitlist for an accessible cabin since I was forced to change years when Azamara announce our Western Africa cruise was cancelled.  Today I was told, nearly a year later, that the cabin was now available.  I have no idea if someone cancelled or someone was given an upgrade.  My guess is the length of time was probably a cancellation as it’s really tough to get upgrades of accessible cabins.  

There have been some interesting quirks in the remodeled accessible rooms, some have been fixed, others are more difficult.  I didn’t see the problem with the bathroom mirror being too low for a companion or anyone who could stand but it appears to have been fixed.  One of the ones I ran into was that the plugs by the beans thus near the large mirror were 220 and there was nowhere to plug the 110 hairdryer.  The solution should be that a mirror has been added back to the desk.  The fix for that 60 day cruise was a small standing mirror for the desk.  They did not have any working voltage converters and we didn’t bring one because all but one of our pluggable devices are dual voltage.  As I recall there wasn’t an extension cord that was long enough either.  

Please note too, that you lose some storage in the bathrooms too.  The hanging rods heights can be annoying at times too!  On the plus side the shower is pretty large!