Edge class ? on couch/bed for 3rd/4th passenger

kayakcove

Trying to figure out the layout of the couch/bed on Edge ships that have space for 3rd/4th passengers.

Have not found a picture of it in its bed configuration. This the one that almost looks like a trundle bed with a pullout from under the couch. Does the bed go parallel to the wall or out from the wall? Bottom line, how far out does it come from the wall when in bed setup. Question in relation to how it impacts moving around?

Picture would be great?

I would warn you the couch we had in our Celebrity Suite was exceedingly FIRM (aka: hard as a rock). I’m the weirdo that travels with an egg crate mattress pad just in case the bed is hard so it came in handy that night my DH was snoring and I moved out to the couch! You can scrunch up a mattress pad into a fairly small ball, especially twin size!

1 hour ago, lizinindy said:

I would warn you the couch we had in our Celebrity Suite was exceedingly FIRM (aka: hard as a rock). I’m the weirdo that travels with an egg crate mattress pad just in case the bed is hard so it came in handy that night my DH was snoring and I moved out to the couch! You can scrunch up a mattress pad into a fairly small ball, especially twin size!

Interestingly enough our host brought a mattress to put on top of the couch in our CS.  So one kid slept on the pull out and the other on the mattress on the couch.  It worked well.

4 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Interestingly enough our host brought a mattress to put on top of the couch in our CS.  So one kid slept on the pull out and the other on the mattress on the couch.  It worked well.

Since posting I did searches on Bing and Google and found a couple of threads here on Cruise Critic, that I don’t think could have found using the search box here. I just asked “Celebrity Edge sofa bed”

I found two additional posts who indicated that the Steward/Host placed a mattress on top of the couch, and it had been comfortable. I will speak to our Host on arrival about that and getting a third chair for the balcony.

I had two concerns, comfort, and room to move around. Our son has mobility issues and uses a walker. Need to be sure he has clear path at night to the bathroom.

I will take a picture and come back here and put in Room Thread for Edge class ships.

Here is one of the links: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2610603-seems-like-the-convertible-sofa-beds-are-really-trundles/

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 2:23 PM, lizinindy said:

No need to carry with you, you just have to ask and they add one for you, I have done this many times 🙂

We just returned from a cruise on Edge in a sky suite and it was exactly this.  There was a mattress on top of the sofa.  It was actually quite comfortable.  I ended up sleeping on it for a night.  The room attendant set it up for us every night and left it as a couch for us during the day. 

We were in an S1 sky suite on Edge in April.  We overall had a terrific time and think that the overall experience should be delightful.  The combination of the ship design and crew will hopefully meet or exceed your needs.

Our room had a couch that was of course horizontal to the wall opposite the doorway, and facing the TV. That couch does have a pull out, is firm, and remains horizontal when set up for sleeping. In front of the couch is a relatively low coffee table that could be pushed out of the way and you would still have decent amount of walking room between the TV wall and the pullout.  You'll need to do something with the chair however. That's the one with the arms that doesn't entirely allow it to be pushed in underneath the counter by the mirror. Next the issue that you might have is that there is a step up into the bathroom of about 6 in or so. I'm assuming that's the case and all the S1 rooms maybe in all the rooms. Others coming on this in places too but the door the bathroom is magnetic and extremely fast the clothes and as we recall somewhat heavy. In order to make it easier for someone to open in the middle of the night we place the washcloth between the closing mechanism and the door frame and maybe there's some better way to do that. This avoided clicking and too much noise when somebody got up in the middle of the night. Our room was not classified as an accessible room and we do not know if there is a difference. I think there's some commenters in the forum on grab bars and we do remember the shower could use a better grab bar or something to help steady one when they are entering shower / tub.

We think you'll probably want to keep the inside table but they could probably find a place for it if you didn't want it. And we also can say there was enough room on the balcony for a third chair, good idea. And the same time you might also ask for a second small table for the balcony if all three of you plan on enjoying some food or otherwise hanging out and needing a table.  Now this is well documented the balcony table is quite small and low to the ground.  The room service tray though can balance itself on the tables and it's possible to eat outside or in the room but not at normal table height

At the time of our cruising retreat was 100% full but the rest of the ship was relatively empty with about 1,600 passengers.  In our view there was more than enough staff that they should have been and generally were accommodating of various requests and needs. We assume you'll ask for anything that you possibly need and should.

We have noticed that there is one YouTube vlogger where the wife is in a wheelchair and they do a terrific job of walking through accessibility issues including things such as bed height. We have not observed them to be on a celebrity ship but it's possible they have done one. If it helps to find them they are not travel agents but did come up and viewing various YouTube videos of cruisers and their experiences post pandemic.

On 6/29/2022 at 12:54 AM, Cap_D said:

Next the issue that you might have is that there is a step up into the bathroom of about 6 in or so. I'm assuming that's the case and all the S1 rooms maybe in all the rooms. Others coming on this in places too but the door the bathroom is magnetic and extremely fast the clothes and as we recall somewhat heavy. In order to make it easier for someone to open in the middle of the night we place the washcloth between the closing mechanism and the door frame and maybe there's some better way to do that. This avoided clicking and too much noise when somebody got up in the middle of the night. Our room was not classified as an accessible room and we do not know if there is a difference. I think there's some commenters in the forum on grab bars and we do remember the shower could use a better grab bar or something to help steady one when they are entering shower / tub.

We are home and had a wonderful trip.  We were in accessible Sky Suite 11120. Just following up on the third/fourth party bedding.  It actually worked very well and was more comfortable than the fold out sleeper sofas we have dealt with before. The mattress placed on top of the couch came from the trundle pull out beneath it. If there was fourth person, I suspect they would pull one from another room or storage.  I do not see the four person trundle bed set up working for anything other than children. We just left it with the mattress in place all the time. We did set the couch back cushions on the floor at the end of the couch. As an accessible room it was excellent with lots of space in the room and and the bath. There was no closing mechanism on the bath door.  We just left it open during the night and only one night with higher seas did it close itself. None of the accessible cabins have lip at the bath door. There is a drain across the door to catch any water from the roll-in shower.  The drain along the wall of the shower did very well and we would use an extra towel on the floor to catch any water on the other side. Another improvement found on the Edge Class ships is the balcony floor is raised to match the door threshold vs. the smaller steeper ramp on other ships.  

One comment to the ship designers,  More accessible room options would be great. On the Edge ships there is only ONE accessible suite available for more than 2 passengers. Next spring we are going on Oceania and their new ship the Vista.  It has nine accessible veranda cabins able to handle 3 passengers and appear to be within 20 sq.ft. of floor space as the Edge accessible Sky Suite (418 sq.ft.)

20220625_182330.jpg

20220625_212953.jpg

• 3 months later...