Travelgard Insurance -- How Long Does it Take to Receive Reimbursement for a Claim...?

Before our most recent cruise, we purchased full coverage (flight and cruise) travel insurance through Travelgard.  We've purchased travel insurance from them before, but this was the first time we've ever had to file a claim.  (Lucky us...!) 

There was a delay in our return to our final disembarkation port (due to weather), so we missed our flight home and needed to spend an additional night in a hotel, purchase meals, and rebook on another flight home (no change fee, but the price was higher--of course).  We paid out-of-pocket for all of these and kept all receipts.  Once we were home, we filed the claim for reimbursement for those extra items and included copies of all of the receipts.  I received confirmation and a case number...and a message saying that they usually respond within 10-15 business days.

It's now been about a month since I received the case number...and no word from them.  I called about a week ago and the woman I spoke to looked it up and said they had all of the information and everything had been received, but she had no update...and just said that they're running behind.  (I could tell I was speaking with someone working at a phonebank.)

Has anyone had any experience using Travelgard...and if so, would love to hear how it went, any details you can share, and suggestions of what to do next...?

Thanks so much, 

5 minutes ago, Yo Adrienne said:

Before our most recent cruise, we purchased full coverage (flight and cruise) travel insurance through Travelgard.  We've purchased travel insurance from them before, but this was the first time we've ever had to file a claim.  (Lucky us...!) 

There was a delay in our return to our final disembarkation port (due to weather), so we missed our flight home and needed to spend an additional night in a hotel, purchase meals, and rebook on another flight home (no change fee, but the price was higher--of course).  We paid out-of-pocket for all of these and kept all receipts.  Once we were home, we filed the claim for reimbursement for those extra items and included copies of all of the receipts.  I received confirmation and a case number...and a message saying that they usually respond within 10-15 business days.

It's now been about a month since I received the case number...and no word from them.  I called about a week ago and the woman I spoke to looked it up and said they had all of the information and everything had been received, but she had no update...and just said that they're running behind.  (I could tell I was speaking with someone working at a phonebank.)

Has anyone had any experience using Travelgard...and if so, would love to hear how it went, any details you can share, and suggestions of what to do next...?

Thanks so much, 

First thing, if you purchased from a travel insurance broker, contact them and they can help run interference with the insurer.

We use Travel Insured, and all of our claims (too many, alas!) have been handled remarkably promptly, except one.  It turned out that our claim that time happened to coincide with a few hurricanes, even though ours wasn't weather related.  The insurers were swamped, no surprise.  I kept being told some version of "soon", over and over again.  And then I called Steve at TripInsuranceStore.com; we purchase all of our policies through them.  I don't know exactly what magic he worked, but in about 7 -10 days (the usual window for our claims previously), we had our check.

I'm not sure what to recommend otherwise.  How long has it actually been since you submitted your claim form and receipts?  Have they acknowledged yet that they have "everything" they need from you?

Unfortunately, it's probably really crazy with the travel insurers and claims these days, with so many disruptions due to Covid in addition to any regular health issues, and now also the mess with airline schedules.  That doesn't absolve them of their responsibility to pay claims (and in a reasonably timely fashion), but it might help explain it.  That's not much help, and especially if it's a large claim...

GC

I filed a claim with TravelSafe for a Trip Delay claim. It's been 91 days now.

When I ask about it, they also claim that there are delays due to a high than usual number of claims being processed.

I would imagine that they are in the same boat as every other business in the world who was affected by the pandemic.

Having said that, I officially filed a complaint with my State Insurance Commissioner because TrafelSafe's contract to be able to sell its insurance in Washington State agrees that all claims will be finalized within 30 days.  Will that speed things up? Probably not. Might piss them off and they'll just rubber stamp a denial. But, we're only talking a couple hundred here. I can always appeal.

3 hours ago, Yo Adrienne said:

Thanks so much, 

I stopped using TravelGuard after they denied my claim.  They're evil; they forced me to cancel my flights and get credits before they would process my claim.  After they denied it, I was stuck with the credits, instead of being able to wait for flight time changes and get a cash refund.  

I'd personally try filing a case with the Better Business Bureau.  

1 hour ago, jclinard said:

I stopped using TravelGuard after they denied my claim.  They're evil; they forced me to cancel my flights and get credits before they would process my claim.  After they denied it, I was stuck with the credits, instead of being able to wait for flight time changes and get a cash refund.  

I'd personally try filing a case with the Better Business Bureau.  

If we had a serious problem with an insurer (regular or travel), we'd skip the BBB (they have little power and in some cases do even less), and file a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner's Office.  Insurance is regulated by the states...

GC

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

If we had a serious problem with an insurer (regular or travel), we'd skip the BBB (they have little power and in some cases do even less), and file a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner's Office.  Insurance is regulated by the states...

GC

That's a good option.  I had a dispute with Expedia I took to the BBB.  They agreed I was in the right and promised a refund, which they then didn't issue.  I re-opened the case and filed a complaint against Expedia for bad faith.  They issued the refund.  They thought they could get away with shining me on about the refund because I'm a nobody, but I switched it so they'd have to explain to the BBB why they lied to them.  

12 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

GC

Don't woryy GC. That poster that you're quoting is the one who tried to file a claim for a reason not covered but still throws shade at the insurance industry. Failed to take responsibility for his own actions.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2022 at 4:51 PM, klfrodo said:

Don't woryy GC. That poster that you're quoting is the one who tried to file a claim for a reason not covered but still throws shade at the insurance industry. Failed to take responsibility for his own actions.

You say "throw shade", I say "warn people to due proper research".

My Expedia issue was not about insurance.  It was about me canceling fully refundable tickets.  Instead of refunding, they gave me credits with a foreign airline.  They agreed it should have been refunded in cash, then didn't do anything about it.  In my case with the BBB, they agreed I should have been given a cash refund and said they would.   Then they didn't do it.  It was only my subsequent case where I changed tactics and stated they had engaged in bad faith that they decided to refund my fully refundable tickets in case.  

I've stopped buying insurance on flights as it's clear there is no circumstances where I can collect, unless I died.  In which case I won't need the money, and my heir's will not know to collect.

3 hours ago, jclinard said:

You say "throw shade", I say "warn people to due proper research".

My Expedia issue was not about insurance.  It was about me canceling fully refundable tickets.  Instead of refunding, they gave me credits with a foreign airline.  They agreed it should have been refunded in cash, then didn't do anything about it.  In my case with the BBB, they agreed I should have been given a cash refund and said they would.   Then they didn't do it.  It was only my subsequent case where I changed tactics and stated they had engaged in bad faith that they decided to refund my fully refundable tickets in case.  

I've stopped buying insurance on flights as it's clear there is no circumstances where I can collect, unless I died.  In which case I won't need the money, and my heir's will not know to collect.

This IS the Cruise/Travel INSURANCE sub-forum.

And you are complaining here about an issue that "was not about insurance"?

I won't be responding to additional posts you make.

It's clear where the problem is at least in this particular case...

GC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

This IS the Cruise/Travel INSURANCE sub-forum.

And you are complaining here about an issue that "was not about insurance"?

I won't be responding to additional posts you make.

It's clear where the problem is at least in this particular case...

GC

Not at all.  There were two separate incidents, one with Expedia, and one with TravelGuard.

I won my fight with Expedia.  With TravelGuard, in order to apply for their insurance, I was forced to cancel my flights before they would process my claim.  They then denied my claim.  They had no intention of paying my  claim, but they also forced me to cancel my flights.  

Holding the tickets would have given me options.  In the best case, they would have changed their flight times or connections by a sufficient amount to where I could reject the change and obtain a refund (a route I've  taken before).  Worst case, I could have attempted to use the tickets from Las Vegas to Copenhagen.  I think I would have been denied boarding as Denmark wasn't accepting tourists due to COVID (this reason for canceling my tickets fell on deaf ears at TG, but their policy is to collect premiums and deny claims), but I could have shown up at the airport and made the attempt.  I had paid for the ticket, and it was business class, so it's not like I would be suffering in economy.  

As it stands, it was a lesson for me, which includes not buying insurance for flights in general, and not buying anything from TG in particular.  If you want to ignore the expensive lessons I learned, that's your business.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I filed a covered claim with Travel Guard in mid May 2022. I got an email in July saying the were “sorry about the delay”, but my claim was being processed. I called them at the beginning of August, and was assured by an actual person that my claim was due to be paid in two weeks. It’s been over a month since then, and I’ve gotten bupkis from anyone. Going to have to spend more time on the phone, and finding out how to file a claim against them in my state. 

BTW, I’ve file two claims with Allianz over the years for airline tickets and had both paid promptly and without all this runaround. 

I won’t travel without insurance, just need to find a better carrier. 

3 minutes ago, ladyj1138 said:

I filed a covered claim with Travel Guard in mid May 2022. I got an email in July saying the were “sorry about the delay”, but my claim was being processed. I called them at the beginning of August, and was assured by an actual person that my claim was due to be paid in two weeks. It’s been over a month since then, and I’ve gotten bupkis from anyone. Going to have to spend more time on the phone, and finding out how to file a claim against them in my state. 

BTW, I’ve file two claims with Allianz over the years for airline tickets and had both paid promptly and without all this runaround. 

This is another good reason to consider using a travel insurance broker or agent.  They should go to bat for you; they sold you the policy and got a commission.

If you purchase directly from the insurer, there's no one "on your side" if there are any difficulties.

(And I'm guessing that because agents and brokers sell in some volume, the insurers "take their calls" in a way that is different from a single customer calling...)

If all of the insurers are swamped (e.g., due to lots of claims such as with a couple of hurricanes, or too few employees such as with a pandemic) then not every claim can be serviced with the same regular speed.

GC

• 4 months later...
On 9/11/2022 at 9:23 PM, ladyj1138 said:

Any reason you don’t stay with Allianz?  Since it paid promptly.