Power outlets on Epic - quick question

oz61

I tried a search, but no useful results. What type of power outlets does the Epic have in balcony cabins? European or US or both? Any USB or USB - C ports? We have converters. Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, oz61 said:

I tried a search, but no useful results. What type of power outlets does the Epic have in balcony cabins? European or US or both? Any USB or USB - C ports? We have converters. Thanks in advance!

No USB ports last time we were on the ship. (And it is a very, very poor cybersecurity practice to plug into a "public" USB port).

The outlets are inside the cabinets across from the bed. It is best to have a power strip without surge protect to bring the power from the cabinet up to the desktop. 

image.thumb.png.42b89a2cc6ffc00e895bb92467a3edd8.png

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, oz61 said:

Oh thanks all. I didn't know you shouldn't plus directly into USB ports. Something to remember at airports!

It's a precaution to take, you have no idea what the other end is plugged into.  Most are going to be innocuous, but you just don't know.  I also prefer to plug my own adapter into 110 and charge through that, or use my portable battery to charge my device.

• Like 1

I’m currently on the Epic. Oakman’s pic is spot on, but no coffee maker in our room. We have a small non surge power strip in the US outlet port, plus an  EU to US power block/USB adapter plugged into the European socket, and this configuration has provided us with enough outlets to charge devices for a family of 4. 

• Like 1

We just disembarked from the Epic (balcony room) June 20. There are 2 US outlets across from the bed in the cabinet and 2 European outlets in the same spot. Since we had European outlet adapters we had a total of 4 working outlets. There is also a small outlet for electric razors behind the mirrored medicine cabinet above the sink. We used a European adapter to use that as well but it only supplied enough to power an electric razor. Per the ship’s safety requests we unplugged every outlet every time we left our cabin. 

• Like 1

Given that pretty much all cruise ships serve both US/Canadian and European customers, you will invariably find both the NEMA 5-15 and European plugs.  The Brits, Danes, Italians, Swiss, Australians, and others, will need to bring converters.

What surprised me on NCL Jade, is that the Europlug receptacle was the CEE7/6 (the French variant), and not the more common CEE7/4 ("Schuko").  If you have to use an ungrounded plug, it does not matter, but for devices that need ground, you need investigate this further if you are European.