Cell phone roaming with Telus - advice?

Kate-in-Canada

Hi all,

first time cruiser booked to Alaska in August with Celebrity. I did not purchase the upgraded wifi.

I am a Telus customer. wondering about data roaming while on board and in ports.  Looking at the Telus app for my account, seems “easy roaming” feature will charge me $11 a day if I turn on my data while in the US.  But it doesn’t cover cruise ship? It sounds like data will turn itself off / be unavailable while on board…

is there a Telus package I can get to get me ell data on board? Am I better of buying the upgraded wifi package?

I prob won’t make any calls, but would like to be able to send texts and pics through messenger, check my Facebook, read Apple news and my books… taking iPhone and wifi only ipad, and Apple Watch that shares my phone data plan.

bring a first timer just curious what’s the best way to manage economically…

thanks! 

From https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/billing-understanding-while-travelling

Easy Roam, Canada-US plans and roaming passes do not cover you on cruise ships or in-flight. Usage on cruise ships or in-flight will always be charged at $0.60 per text, $9.00 per minute and data usage will be blocked.

In Alaska ports, you could use the Telus roaming. When not in port, your only option is ship WiFi. 

• Like 1

A coworker left his iPad in the room with his teens while they went for dinner on a cruise ship. They turned it on,  watched a movie and played some games. The bill was a couple thousand. I dont known if you can get a data plan with telus for cruise ships as it's not through cell towers. You'd have to go through a satellite company I assume so just easy to get ship wifi. 

We've used telus roaming lots of times and it's great as you get the 24 hour coverage and just the one charge of 11$ In the usa as you get full access to.your plan. I've never made calls though through my roaming plan as I'm not sure how the long distance charges work.  I suggest if you do wish to make a call or text use a wifi service like whatsapp. If you are hooked up to data you can still make calls on those apps. 

Make sure you turn the data slider off while roaming in your settings or else your phone won't access data when roaming.  On a recent trip it was on as we used it get ubers. Since data was off it didn't access the internet and so didn't work and i didnt k ow why. I had texted a family member so got charged for the day bit didn't get to use it for what I really wanted which was data. Didn't realize that until after we got back to the hotel and did a face palm. 

• Like 1

Never roam on the ship's data.....extremely expensive. Safest to put phone into airplane mode, then turn on wifi.

On my May 4th Discovery Princess, 4 day cruise to Alaska (Vancouver-Ketchikan-Seattle) and a post-cruise stay in Portland, OR, I used this US SIM purchased on amazon.ca.

https://www.amazon.ca/Prepaid-Internet-Powered-T-Mobile-Days/dp/B09KWY33ZD/ref=bmx_dp_kn6r7fgo_sccl_2_3/133-2884903-7961621?pd_rd_w=zLIcq&content-id=amzn1.sym.e55928bd-e238-45b2-bf8e-0d68ca724b4f&pf_rd_p=e55928bd-e238-45b2-bf8e-0d68ca724b4f&pf_rd_r=5CQGPKNYMEWBXMBF4B2A&pd_rd_wg=iXfaH&pd_rd_r=6807d972-d86f-4122-9812-a65b6044f3ff&pd_rd_i=B09KWY33ZD&psc=1

It's only C$23.99 for 7 days of data (1GB/day, NO voice or text) on either T-Mobile or AT&T (whichever is available). There's also a 14 day SIM for C$35.99. This is way cheaper than paying $11/day to use your own data.

It was extremely easy to use. When we arrived in Ketchikan, I just swapped out my SIM and had T-Mobile data service within minutes....no setup required. I continued to use data services in Seattle & Portland and even roamed onto Telus when got back across the border. Hotspotting is also possible.

If you require voice, text & data, the same company offers this:

https://www.amazon.ca/T-Mobile-Prepaid-Unlimited-United-States/dp/B082PM9HSR/ref=sr_1_8?crid=22XW20AE38BAQ&keywords=sim2roam&qid=1655788536&s=electronics&sprefix=sim2roam%2Celectronics%2C126&sr=1-8&th=1

Edited by Mingus
  • Like 1

Not sure about Telus but when I roam with Fido, it is not a 24 hour charge (i.e. the 24 hours start when you turn your phone on), it counts the day (i.e. if you arrive 11 pm on Sunday -- that already counts as a day and once it hits midnight, that's the second day).  I'd get a sim or a e-sim.  An e-sim would is only for data...honestly, not sure how it works but looking into it for my upcoming cruises (i.e. it givs you data but how do you shut of voice/text so that you don't get charged for those).

You can get a global one that covers USA and Caribbean.

https://www.airalo.com/global-esim

Edited by xcell

I'm with Telus.  DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT use their data when on board. Not if you don't want a bill that could be in the thousands.  The $11 (mine is $7) roaming charge will not cover you when at sea.  Put your phone on airplane mode, turn on wifi and buy the ship wifi if you need to use your phone.

Just thinking of someone trying to use their own data on the boat gives me anxiety LOL

6 hours ago, xcell said:

Not sure about Telus but when I roam with Fido, it is not a 24 hour charge (i.e. the 24 hours start when you turn your phone on), it counts the day (i.e. if you arrive 11 pm on Sunday -- that already counts as a day and once it hits midnight, that's the second day).  I'd get a sim or a e-sim.  An e-sim would is only for data...honestly, not sure how it works but looking into it for my upcoming cruises (i.e. it givs you data but how do you shut of voice/text so that you don't get charged for those).

You can get a global one that covers USA and Caribbean.

https://www.airalo.com/global-esim

You need to do a bit more research on e-sim cards, as they are not limited to data. Also, not all devices can use e-sims, particularly older ones, so here's a fairly current list of those that do: https://esim.holafly.com/how-to/esim-phones/

trying to figure it all out -- I read that some can do voice/text/data.

I'm curious if it is only data, how do I shut off the voice/text, so that I don't get charged roaming...just remove the physical sim?

First, setup up your wifi calling before leaving home. 

When on the ship put phone on airplane mode and then turn on wifi. Assuming you purchased wifi on the ship you'll be able to use your phone on wifi mode like you would at home. (Calls, Messaging & emails, etc)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The wifi throughout Alaska on the Grand Princess was hit and miss which is standard for Alaska.  We had wifi included in our package but I wouldn’t bother if I had to pay for it.  Possibly access free wifi when in port.  Whatever you end up doing, make SURE your device is on airplane mode.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 6:21 AM, xcell said:

Telus is currently 24 hours for easy roam but will be changing to calendar day as of July

On 6/21/2022 at 6:21 AM, xcell said:

Not sure about Telus but when I roam with Fido, it is not a 24 hour charge (i.e. the 24 hours start when you turn your phone on), it counts the day (i.e. if you arrive 11 pm on Sunday -- that already counts as a day and once it hits midnight, that's the second day). 

54 minutes ago, cmich068 said:

Telus is currently 24 hours for easy roam but will be changing to calendar day as of July

After several years basing their charge on a 24 hour period, Rogers too has switched to calendar days. It used to work out quite well for me when cruising in the Caribbean: I'd fly into FLL mid-afternoon, turn on my phone after arrival to arrange an Uber to the hotel, then have complete use of my phone until the same time the following day. By that time, I'd be aboard and would have my phone either turned off or on airplane mode. Now I'll have to pay twice as much for the same level of convenience. More, actually, as they are charging more for a day's roaming than they were for 24 hours.

• 4 months later...
On 6/21/2022 at 1:45 AM, Mingus said:

Never roam on the ship's data.....extremely expensive. Safest to put phone into airplane mode, then turn on wifi.

On my May 4th Discovery Princess, 4 day cruise to Alaska (Vancouver-Ketchikan-Seattle) and a post-cruise stay in Portland, OR, I used this US SIM purchased on amazon.ca.

https://www.amazon.ca/Prepaid-Internet-Powered-T-Mobile-Days/dp/B09KWY33ZD/ref=bmx_dp_kn6r7fgo_sccl_2_3/133-2884903-7961621?pd_rd_w=zLIcq&content-id=amzn1.sym.e55928bd-e238-45b2-bf8e-0d68ca724b4f&pf_rd_p=e55928bd-e238-45b2-bf8e-0d68ca724b4f&pf_rd_r=5CQGPKNYMEWBXMBF4B2A&pd_rd_wg=iXfaH&pd_rd_r=6807d972-d86f-4122-9812-a65b6044f3ff&pd_rd_i=B09KWY33ZD&psc=1

It's only C$23.99 for 7 days of data (1GB/day, NO voice or text) on either T-Mobile or AT&T (whichever is available). There's also a 14 day SIM for C$35.99. This is way cheaper than paying $11/day to use your own data.

It was extremely easy to use. When we arrived in Ketchikan, I just swapped out my SIM and had T-Mobile data service within minutes....no setup required. I continued to use data services in Seattle & Portland and even roamed onto Telus when got back across the border. Hotspotting is also possible.

If you require voice, text & data, the same company offers this:

https://www.amazon.ca/T-Mobile-Prepaid-Unlimited-United-States/dp/B082PM9HSR/ref=sr_1_8?crid=22XW20AE38BAQ&keywords=sim2roam&qid=1655788536&s=electronics&sprefix=sim2roam%2Celectronics%2C126&sr=1-8&th=1

Do you keep your own number or do you get assigned a new number?