Recovery letter for NCL

jbullock403

Has anyone traveled when they’ve recently recovered from COVID-19 and had a letter from their doctor? Does the letter need to be dated 10 days or more from the cruise, or your test results just need to be 10 or more days from the cruise?

27 minutes ago, jbullock403 said:

Has anyone traveled when they’ve recently recovered from COVID-19 and had a letter from their doctor? Does the letter need to be dated 10 days or more from the cruise, or your test results just need to be 10 or more days from the cruise?

Pardon my ignorance, but an Antigen test should only show active infection (unlike a PCR.)  Wouldn't a negative Antigen test suffice?

• Like 1

I would think so, but know they are saying because I told them I was positive within the past 90 days they are going to cancel my cruise. Even if I was able to produce a negative test. I have a test result more than 10 days or more, but my doctors note won’t be, they said because they heard that they would have to cancel.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, jbullock403 said:

I would think so, but know they are saying because I told them I was positive within the past 90 days they are going to cancel my cruise. Even if I was able to produce a negative test. I have a test result more than 10 days or more, but my doctors note won’t be, they said because they heard that they would have to cancel.

Where/when/how did you tell NCL you tested positive within the past 90 days? 

• Like 2

From NCL:

• Individuals that test positive within 90 days of their scheduled embarkation date are exempted from the pre-arrival testing.
  • They must have one of the below acceptable forms of COVID-19 Recovery (dated no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days (US) & 180 days (EU) before the date of embarkation) available during check-in.
    • For European Citizens, this would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate. 
    • For all others unable to present an EU Green Pass (i.e., US Citizens) a doctor’s note, plus a laboratory-confirmed PCR test result with the proper information (i.e., Name, Date, Date of Birth, Positive Result, etc.)

So, what are we missing?

You need a Doctor’s note (why won’t your Dr provide that?) and a negative PCR test.  

If your Dr won’t give you a certified note as to your status, the rest is kind of a moot point.  Has your Dr give you a reason why s/he won’t provide one?

Edited by graphicguy

20 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

From NCL:

• Individuals that test positive within 90 days of their scheduled embarkation date are exempted from the pre-arrival testing.
  • They must have one of the below acceptable forms of COVID-19 Recovery (dated no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days (US) & 180 days (EU) before the date of embarkation) available during check-in.
    • For European Citizens, this would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate. 
    • For all others unable to present an EU Green Pass (i.e., US Citizens) a doctor’s note, plus a laboratory-confirmed PCR test result with the proper information (i.e., Name, Date, Date of Birth, Positive Result, etc.)

So, what are we missing?

You need a Doctor’s note (why won’t your Dr provide that?) and a negative PCR test.  

If your Dr won’t give you a certified note as to your status, the rest is kind of a moot point.  Has your Dr give you a reason why s/he won’t provide one?

No...not a negative PCR test. This procedure is for those with a positive PCR test.

Edited by njhorseman

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No...not a negative PCR test. This procedure is for those with a positive PCR test.

OK!  I thought they’d have to prove they are COVID negative (via PCR) test.  But, if they want proof you cancelled because of COVID, I get having a test showing as much.

Still trying to understand why their DR won’t give them the required letter.

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

OK!  I thought they’d have to prove they are COVID negative (via PCR) test.  But, if they want proof you cancelled because of COVID, I get having a test showing as much.

Still trying to understand why their DR won’t give them the required letter.

The procedure you cited is to enable those with a positive PCR test to take their cruise, not to document COVID as a cancellation reason.

Perhaps the doctor is concerned about liability for certifying that the person had recovered from COVID even though they're still testing positive...worried that perhaps they actually haven't recovered.

Just now, njhorseman said:

The procedure you cited is to enable those with a positive PCR test to take their cruise, not to document COVID as a cancellation reason.

Perhaps the doctor is concerned about liability for certifying that the person had recovered from COVID even though they're still testing positive...worried that perhaps they actually haven't recovered.

That makes sense.  If their DR is concerned about certifying COVID recovery of the cruiser, when there’s some reason the DR believes they haven’t recovered, I can see the DR’s point.

Either way, without the DR’s note, it doesn’t matter.  

In the OP’s case, the answer is the guest must provide a Dr’s letter of recovery no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days from the embarkation date.

I can now confirm that a Dr’s note of recovery with a positive test result works just fine.  They had to call a supervisor who came up and showed the person what to look for and everything was fine.  I did have a negative test for my 10 year old anyway, but wanted to test the Dr’s note for others.  Just boarded the Encore today.

• Like 1

I am as not aware of this rule. If one of our people in our group had Covid in the end of May and our cruise is in August, they have to get a DR notice?  How does NCL know about the positive result?

I am as not aware of this rule. If one of our people in our group had Covid in the end of May and our cruise is in August, they have to get a DR notice?  How does NCL know about the positive result?

One of our passengers is a US citizen, all vaccinations, and has had positive test with Covid at the end of May. We have an August cruise, so we need a doctor note now plus a PCR test?  When do we do this test. 

21 minutes ago, oracer said:

One of our passengers is a US citizen, all vaccinations, and has had positive test with Covid at the end of May. We have an August cruise, so we need a doctor note now plus a PCR test?  When do we do this test. 

Here are the procedures from NCL's Sail Safe FAQs:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

If I recently recovered from COVID-19, do I need to get tested prior to embarkation?

The letter of recovery lists all of your personal info, including DOB and date of positive Covid test.  It simply says that you tested positive on a certain date and have now recovered.  Your doctor will know what a Covid recovery letter is.  The key is that you MUST have a confirmed PCR test with a positive result and your timing must be whatever the current guidelines are.  Right now I think you had to have had Covid more than 10 days before and less than 90 days.  

On 6/26/2022 at 5:51 PM, oracer said:

You do not need to do this. This thread is

for people who tested positive in the last 90 days and are providing a positive pcr result as well as a doctor’s note that they recovered so that they can be exempt from the negative test required to board the ship.

Unfortunately, I got covid (along with the whole family) on our April cruise, but never confirmed my home test with a pcr, so this does not apply to me. The antigen home test will not be accepted for this purpose.