Soot issue help

azgrandmax3

We were on the Majestic in January.  We had cabin A738.  We had a soot problem.  It got on the chairs and all over the floor.  It looked like little black dots and it rubbed off on feet/shoes and clothes when you walked or sat on the balcony chairs.  The soot problem was constant.  The smell of the exhaust wasn't pleasant when it flowed directly over our balcony, luckily that only happened once or twice on our cruise.  

We were on an aft facing cabin on the Baja deck on the Majestic.  Yes, there was some soot but our room steward cleaned it up daily.  For that view, it was well worth any small amount of soot we got on our balcony.  We just never wore white clothes out there and it was fine.  

On 6/20/2022 at 5:44 PM, azgrandmax3 said:

Can you advise me?  We are considering an Alaska ship then land tour on the Majestic.  Is there a soot issue with aft cabins? Those facing directly to seas.  If so was it all decks.

Thanks,

Azgrandmax3

We had it on the Regal a couple of times during our cruise. Steward cleaned it and we brought clean towels from the pool to put over the chairs before we sat on them.  They modified the exhaust several times, supposed to be better.  Don’t know about the Magestic.

I had soot on the balcony in R734 on Enchanted on the April TA.  The aforementioned black particles on the deck, which could be tracked into the cabin on feet.  Seldom smelled exhaust fumes based on the wind and the ship's heading.  I had the steward put a bathmat inside the balcony door as a place to wipe my feet, but otherwise it was a bit cool for a lot of balcony sitting during the cruise.  They did hose down the balconies during turnaround day.

49 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

They've had this soot problem for a while on the Royal class ships. I'm really surprised they didn't change the air flow design for the Majestic to help alleviate it. 

The same people tasked with fixing this have been working on the Crown...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The same people tasked with fixing this have been working on the Crown...

I sort of doubt it. The designers are one category and the workers scurrying to fix an ongoing problem have got to be a different group.

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I sort of doubt it. The designers are one category and the workers scurrying to fix an ongoing problem have got to be a different group.

I apparently did not press the sarcasm button before posting...sorry!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They've had this soot problem for a while on the Royal class ships. I'm really surprised they didn't change the air flow design for the Majestic to help alleviate it. 

Actually it has been on the Royal since Day 1.  We dealt with it on the Maiden Trans Atlantic voyage.

I dined with a couple on my Discovery cruise a few months ago, who had an aft cabin.  After getting soot on their white slacks, they wiped the rail and chairs with a white towel. They then took the towel to customer service to complain and (as they told our table)received $200 each in OBC!!!! I never would have thought of that!

6 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Actually it has been on the Royal since Day 1.  We dealt with it on the Maiden Trans Atlantic voyage.

So I've read from previous posts.

It's one of the main reasons we avoid aft cabins.