Eurodam and Niew Amsterdam libraries

curmudgeon98

There was a recent thread asking about Konigsdam library, which inspired me to ask about Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.  We haven't been on HAL in a few years, but are considering a Panama Canal cruise this fall.  We prefer reading physical books, and a longer itinerary with fewer ports makes the library more important to us.  I'm also a fan of the "take one, leave one" shelves; we usually board with a few paperbacks that we don't plan to take home.

Does anyone have feedback on the size/state of the libraries on these ships?  We were on a Princess ship recently, and while there was a library on the deck plan, the actual contents were about two dozen books.    

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 12 weeks Sept-Dec. 2022.  Negligible selection of books up by the Crow's Nest.  And on one of those cruises, they had cleared out all the books from the previous cruises, so not much left.  I think cruisers had been leaving books for others.  These few bookshelves are on the port side just before the coffee bar in the Crow's Nest.  You should bring whatever you'd like to read.  They also had some travel reference books on the starboard side in the Crow's nest.  Those seemed to be more maintained by staff.

6 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 12 weeks Sept-Dec. 2022.  Negligible selection of books up by the Crow's Nest.  And on one of those cruises, they had cleared out all the books from the previous cruises, so not much left.  I think cruisers had been leaving books for others.  These few bookshelves are on the port side just before the coffee bar in the Crow's Nest.  You should bring whatever you'd like to read.  They also had some travel reference books on the starboard side in the Crow's nest.  Those seemed to be more maintained by staff.

I was afraid of that.  We may have to stick to more upmarket lines like Oceania and Azamara where they have (mostly) kept decent libraries.  If I'm doing 2+ weeks, especially with a number of sea days, I like to have a decent number of books available, and I'd rather not drag them in my suitcase.

8 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

I was afraid of that.  We may have to stick to more upmarket lines like Oceania and Azamara where they have (mostly) kept decent libraries.  If I'm doing 2+ weeks, especially with a number of sea days, I like to have a decent number of books available, and I'd rather not drag them in my suitcase.

This is a first.  I've never heard of people booking with another cruiseline because of the lack of libraries on HAL. It truly has been a disappointment for many people and complaints have landed on deaf ears.

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

This is a first.  I've never heard of people booking with another cruiseline because of the lack of libraries on HAL. It truly has been a disappointment for many people and complaints have landed on deaf ears.

Actually, it may not have fallen on deaf hears.  There was a post on CC recently, saying that the Koningsdam will be re-establishing a library after its drydock.  And I think that the Rotterdam does have a library.  If I could ever pry DH off HAL, I would also be one to change cruise lines to one that does have a decent library, i.e. Cunard.

• Like 1

When I was on Eurodam in November, I was pleasantly surprised by the fairly-large selection of books, having read many comments on this board about how the libraries were going away or already gone.

So I was pretty disappointed when I boarded Nieuw Amsterdam a couple of weeks later and found there were almost no books.  They're sister ships.  Why does one still have books and the other doesn't?

Was just on Zuiderdam for 2 weeks in Alaska and there were NO books other than large, hardback travel books.

I still prefer a real book in my hand but ended up reading several Kindle books on my phone. 

Glad to read that Rotterdam has a decent library.  I'm doing the spring TA on her so will have all those sea days to sit and read and relax.