I HATE NCL

piglet55cc

4 minutes ago, masspector said:

We did get our money back, but of course if we had taken as a credit the price in June 2022 was way higher than June 2021.  I wish they would have just moved us to a later date at the same price.  But they do not do that.  

We could apply "standard Cruise Critic logic" here...

What if the price on the future date was way lower instead? Would you be happy with paying the higher price that you were originally charged, or would you want the new lower price? IOW, would it be OK to move you to a later date at the same price if the price being charged for new bookings was lower?

24 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

We could apply "standard Cruise Critic logic" here...

What if the price on the future date was way lower instead? Would you be happy with paying the higher price that you were originally charged, or would you want the new lower price? IOW, would it be OK to move you to a later date at the same price if the price being charged for new bookings was lower?

I understand what you are saying.  However, in my experience that has never been the case.  Fortunately we have never had a cruise cancelled and I think this is the first vacation ever that we have had cancelled by the provider.

Standard practice is if the price is lower the provider rebooks you at the lower price.  In fact I have done that with another trip with the provider of the Japan trip.  I know with cruises that policy usually revolves around final payment date but I think after final payment most lines offer OBC.  

I am a pretty savvy travel shopper that does a lot of research and knows a good price when I see it.  It might go down a little after I book but not significantly.  For example I booked air and hotel from Atl to prague a few years ago for 5 nights for $1150 total for 2 people.  That was based on a lead price from NY of $499 per person.  Might it go cheaper? Maybe but I do not think $299 for that trip is reasonable.

If the norm was for prices to go down I would just keep looking in the future and cancel and book a future cheaper date but never actually go on a vacation.  In my experience, prices usually only go up after you hit the sweet spot.

Edited by masspector