I HATE NCL

piglet55cc

Wow, what a thread.  And I was bored today.  I read most of the replies and hope what I am about to say will assist you in some way.

The key here is NCL has the right to do exactly what they did you the OP.  This also happens when an entire ship is chartered.  By the way, If I have hit the lottery, I will charter an entire ship and take all my friend on it.  Day dreams are fun are they not?

OP, let me help you was a few things that has worked for me in the past.  I traveled the world for 40 years for business.  Just so you know I am empathetic to your situation, I was cancelled due to covid 4 times until I was finally able to take my cruise.  It seems you were cancelled so you so you must have taken the 125% FCC on your first cruise way back then.  That put you up 25%.  Now let us leverage all the rest for you.  

Assumption: Nothing anyone can do about the inconvenience that you are going through. We need to let that go and look for some solutions.

Hotel:  Hotels understand that Covid and other matters will cause cancellations.  It seems you stated you will lose your hotel costs.  Call the hotel, explain your situation and odd are they will refund you or give you credit.  If you did a Priceline non-refundable, they also will consider refunded you based on your situation.  What I shared with you, I have actually done. So it is not hear say.

Refunds: FCC of 100% never include tax and port charges because they go to the respective governments.  NCL never keeps them.  If they did keep them, you would get that benefit in the fcc.  

Travel Insurance:  It is clear that you did not take Travel insurance.  Please conder that in the future. 

The Actual Cruise:  I have watched cruise prices, they have gone up.  Do yourself a favor, go to NCL.com and look for yourself.  I love my Travel Consultant however when these situation happened to me, I took the bull by the horns and did the due diligence.  It takes some time but you can make out on this deal.  I simply can't imagen that prices have doubled.

FCC: There are many things that FCC can be used for and not just the cruise.  This again shows how little my Cruise Consultant knew even though she was a super high producer.  I have used FCC for Excursions, upgrades for internet, Premium Plus Beverage Package and the list goes on.  The key is you have to call NCL and do it pre-cruise. 

None of this is going to bring your cruise back.  All I can say is, at the original price you paid, if the service was bad, you would really be upset even more then you are now.  

Finally and I hope you take this to heart. In the world of cruising, you get a lot more with honey then with vinegar.  What I am about to share has worked for me 100% of the time.  If you have ever read any of my posts, you know that folks use my advice all the time with very positive results.  Write a very well written letter to the top four executives with NCL.  Explain your situation and do not threaten.  As a matter of fact, let them know you fully understand they had every right contractually to do what they did.  On the last paragraph, ask them to assist you with the reservation you want in anyway they can.  Leave the "Ask" open-ended.  Send the letter registered mail and send it right away.

I hope it all works out for you.  

Cruise well.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Even though NCL is doing the right thing with the refund and 100% FCC, put yourself in these people's position. They booked a cruise one year ago, and have been looking forward to it ever since. Now they get a cancellation of their reservation with no other option.I know I'd be pissed, and I'll bet most of you would be too.

I would DEFINITELY be pissed...until I finished the letter and realized I was getting my money back plus a free cruise.  Then my pissed-offedness would be turned into minor disappointment.  But as I opened up NCL dot com I'd be smiling as I looked for the two cruises I'd replace the cancelled one with.  😀

• Like 2

We've been trying to get back to POA for the past couple of years, including this May and then October.  I just missed the May booking before they capped reservations (thank God), and eventually just cancelled the October along with the several other contingent bookings through Spring 2024.  I'm simply not going to play this game with NCL until things are fully back to normal (if ever?).  I really think they need to reduce the final payment deadline for POA until things improve.  Asking people to make full payment four months out and then waiting until two months out to unilaterally cancel is awful form.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Wow, what a thread.  And I was bored today.  I read most of the replies and hope what I am about to say will assist you in some way.

The key here is NCL has the right to do exactly what they did you the OP.  This also happens when an entire ship is chartered.  By the way, If I have hit the lottery, I will charter an entire ship and take all my friend on it.  Day dreams are fun are they not?

OP, let me help you was a few things that has worked for me in the past.  I traveled the world for 40 years for business.  Just so you know I am empathetic to your situation, I was cancelled due to covid 4 times until I was finally able to take my cruise.  It seems you were cancelled so you so you must have taken the 125% FCC on your first cruise way back then.  That put you up 25%.  Now let us leverage all the rest for you.  

Assumption: Nothing anyone can do about the inconvenience that you are going through. We need to let that go and look for some solutions.

Hotel:  Hotels understand that Covid and other matters will cause cancellations.  It seems you stated you will lose your hotel costs.  Call the hotel, explain your situation and odd are they will refund you or give you credit.  If you did a Priceline non-refundable, they also will consider refunded you based on your situation.  What I shared with you, I have actually done. So it is not hear say.

Refunds: FCC of 100% never include tax and port charges because they go to the respective governments.  NCL never keeps them.  If they did keep them, you would get that benefit in the fcc.  

Travel Insurance:  It is clear that you did not take Travel insurance.  Please conder that in the future. 

The Actual Cruise:  I have watched cruise prices, they have gone up.  Do yourself a favor, go to NCL.com and look for yourself.  I love my Travel Consultant however when these situation happened to me, I took the bull by the horns and did the due diligence.  It takes some time but you can make out on this deal.  I simply can't imagen that prices have doubled.

FCC: There are many things that FCC can be used for and not just the cruise.  This again shows how little my Cruise Consultant knew even though she was a super high producer.  I have used FCC for Excursions, upgrades for internet, Premium Plus Beverage Package and the list goes on.  The key is you have to call NCL and do it pre-cruise. 

None of this is going to bring your cruise back.  All I can say is, at the original price you paid, if the service was bad, you would really be upset even more then you are now.  

Finally and I hope you take this to heart. In the world of cruising, you get a lot more with honey then with vinegar.  What I am about to share has worked for me 100% of the time.  If you have ever read any of my posts, you know that folks use my advice all the time with very positive results.  Write a very well written letter to the top four executives with NCL.  Explain your situation and do not threaten.  As a matter of fact, let them know you fully understand they had every right contractually to do what they did.  On the last paragraph, ask them to assist you with the reservation you want in anyway they can.  Leave the "Ask" open-ended.  Send the letter registered mail and send it right away.

I hope it all works out for you.  

Cruise well.

Doesn't mean the OP has to like it.

Telling about your experiences do not really help here and now.

Lots of people have traveled for many years, business and leisure (over 40 years myself). Telling the OP to let it go and what the OP should have done is disrespectful. 

The OP is here to express an opinion and vent as many have. 

This is CC where it is common to express opinions on cruising.

IMHO

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I've previously confirmed with my NCL PCC that it is standard policy to refund taxes, port fees, and prepaid grats if you cancel at the last minute.   (It's important to know this so that you don't wind up insuring these amounts as trip expenses if you have third-party travel insurance.) 

That is why I let our TA figure the amount we need to insure.

33 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Lots of people have traveled for many years, business and leisure (over 40 years myself). Telling the OP to let it go and what the OP should have done is disrespectful. 

IMHO

You are allowed to have your opinion on the op situation and my comment. That is why CruiseCritic.exists. I gave my thoughts and some solutions. That took thought and time. You and others can agree and disagree. 

I respect you took the time to let me know how you felt. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I've previously confirmed with my NCL PCC that it is standard policy to refund taxes, port fees, and prepaid grats if you cancel at the last minute.   (It's important to know this so that you don't wind up insuring these amounts as trip expenses if you have third-party travel insurance.) 

Unfortunately, it doesn't say that anywhere on NCL's cancellation policy.

Cancellation Fee Schedule (ncl.com)

Prepaid gratuities are never an issue for those of us who don't prepay gratuities.

9 hours ago, piglet55cc said:

From talking to to my consultant. I will get a full refund for the cruise and my air that I booked through NCL. And yes I will receive compensated  $2000pp only for my room. I now have to pay the increased prices of the room, taxes, airfare, transfers, hotels and excursions.  All these items have increased tremendously since I book in Nov. 2021. 

If this had been just another cruise, I would just live with it.  This was a replacement for a cruise we were to have taken in Sept. 2020 that was cancelled because of the pandemic.  That cruise was a celebration of my 65th birthday, my husband retiring after teaching for 41 years, and us going to our 50th state. 

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS IN A POST PANDEMIC WORLD… DEAL WITH IT AND MOVE ON!!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

A job fair in Savannah for a ship in Hawaii..wow...

That said, Savannah is one of my favorite places to visit...easy road trip for me.  I need a seat at the bar at Vics on the River.  

Totally off topic, but we LOVE Vics on the River!!!!

18 minutes ago, joelheather said:

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS IN A POST PANDEMIC WORLD… DEAL WITH IT AND MOVE ON!!!

Aren't most "problems" discussed here first world problems?  I (and I'm sure others) want to hear about this stuff so that we can plan accordingly.  Thanks to other similar reports, I recently cancelled several POA sailings because I am now aware of the problems that I may be setting myself up for.   Sure, it's worth it to some folks to bank some extra FCC, but when I plan a vacation I want to relax and look forward to it.  We don't book the Haven (or anything approaching it), so the money isn't as much of a factor.

btw: why are you shouting?

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

IMHO

NCL also doesn't have to give the OP a "free" cruise either, but they have.  They just have to refund what they paid.  Hard to "hate" a cruise line that does that.   

Offering advice is not disrespectful.  Calling out others who are trying to help is.

IMHO.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

NCL also doesn't have to give the OP a "free" cruise either, but they have.  They just have to refund what they paid.  Hard to "hate" a cruise line that does that.   

Offering advice is not disrespectful.  Calling out others who are trying to help is.

IMHO.

You missed the point, but ok.

Good luck.

6 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

@piglet55cc, I get it. I would be upset too.

There are lots of factors that go into planning a vacation and you have been pretty much left in the lurch, even after final payment! Very bad customer service, IMO.

Lots of people think that what they would do would work for you. That doesn't always work.

Throwinging money/some sort of compensation at a problem, which is their fault, does not always work for people. The compensation you received here seems to have holes in it to use it and the increases in costs alone don't cover all of the vacation prices now.

I am not sure why people/companies think that $$ always fixes errors.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide.

15 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

You missed the point, but ok.

Good luck.

Sorry, I don't think I missed your point, I just don't agree with your point.  I have to plan our vacations the same way, with very limited windows to do so, often a year out or more.  I understand frustration when those plans go awry but sh*! happens, especially during a Pandemic.  Stupid as it sounds, plan on it going sideways so you are prepared.  

IMHO, NCL went above and beyond in this instance with the "free" cruise fare.  I'd take it, find another cruise in the 1.5 year timeframe and move on.  But that's just me.  😉

4 hours ago, rnfulk said:

The situation is disappointing, but I’m wondering what solution NCL could provide that would make people happy. Full refund + 100% future cruise credit seems above and beyond what NCL would be obligated to do. They ultimately canceled the reservation to prevent a disappointing cruise experience, which probably wouldn’t result in any compensation. 

Based on previous comments in this thread, what NCL should have done is taken the airline approach and asked for volunteers--sounds like there would have been plenty of takers, making them happy and avoiding creating some really pissed off customers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RussNJodi said:

Based on previous comments in this thread, what NCL should have done is taken the airline approach and asked for volunteers--sounds like there would have been plenty of takers, making them happy and avoiding creating some really pissed off customers. 

Yep.  That would be a MUCH better approach.  Hopefully they'll learn something.  The airlines just make a general announcement and then it is first come, first served.  As the OP suggested, they likely have a preference for de-booking the cheapest rooms, so that may be a factor.  I'm not sure if it would work that way (i.e. initial offers to buy out inside rooms, then ocean view, etc.).  It probably wouldn't be any worse than this mess.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Even though NCL is doing the right thing with the refund and 100% FCC, put yourself in these people's position. They booked a cruise one year ago, and have been looking forward to it ever since. Now they get a cancellation of their reservation with no other option.I know I'd be pissed, and I'll bet most of you would be too.

A child looks forward to going to the store...after all, that is where the child's favorite candy is sold. The child behaves and follows every direction given by Mom. Finally, the check out line approaches along with the desired candy. "Mommy, can I ..." the child says. "No" says Mom. "But, please..." the child says. "NO!" says Mom.

The child, with no other option is pissed. Then...the tantrum starts. Loud, annoying screaming and crying in public. Feet are stomped. Tears are shed.

While we can all put ourselves in the child's shoes, it does nothing to ease having to be around the public tantrum. We don't always get what we want when we want it. Nothing is 100% perfect...that is life. I go to the store to shop...in peace. I don't go to hear whining, crying, and disappointment. The fact that I can relate does not make the pubic tantrum any less irritating and annoying.

This is a place to talk about our shared enjoyment of vacationing on the sea. To share ideas and tips about the ships we sail on and the places we visit. A place to make new vacation friends and re-connect with old ones. What this place is NOT is a support group. 

If you want to be pissed, upset, and/or disappointed about something, you have a right to do so. However, that doesn't mean that anyone else has to indulge that. Somebody upset you? Take it up directly with them...in a calm, measured, adult manner. Don't have a tantrum in public where you only end up annoying people who can't do anything about it for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

A child looks forward to going to the store...after all, that is where the child's favorite candy is sold. The child behaves and follows every direction given by Mom. Finally, the check out line approaches along with the desired candy. "Mommy, can I ..." the child says. "No" says Mom. "But, please..." the child says. "NO!" says Mom.

The child, with no other option is pissed. Then...the tantrum starts. Loud, annoying screaming and crying in public. Feet are stomped. Tears are shed.

While we can all put ourselves in the child's shoes, it does nothing to ease having to be around the public tantrum. We don't always get what we want when we want it. Nothing is 100% perfect...that is life. I go to the store to shop...in peace. I don't go to hear whining, crying, and disappointment. The fact that I can relate does not make the pubic tantrum any less irritating and annoying.

This is a place to talk about our shared enjoyment of vacationing on the sea. To share ideas and tips about the ships we sail on and the places we visit. A place to make new vacation friends and re-connect with old ones. What this place is NOT is a support group. 

If you want to be pissed, upset, and/or disappointed about something, you have a right to do so. However, that doesn't mean that anyone else has to indulge that. Somebody upset you? Take it up directly with them...in a calm, measured, adult manner. Don't have a tantrum in public where you only end up annoying people who can't do anything about it for you.

Very well written and I agree with your foundation.  Yet this is social media.  The heading of the article indicated the information within.  I saw it and engaged.  I also had the option to simply go to the next article.  When I engaged some one criticized my comment as harsh which for me is a first especially since I was attempting to be helpful. My thoughts again was this is social media, people clash sometimes.

The author was very frustrated and needed a place to vent.  We have all felt that way in our lives.  This stream topic is the true minority of the topics or comments shared on CruiseCritic.com.  Again, after reading all the posts, the OP was a little over the top for sure.  Disappointment does that to a person some times. 

Cruise well.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Very well written and I agree with your foundation.  Yet this is social media.  The heading of the article indicated the information within.  I saw it and engaged.  I also had the option to simply go to the next article.  When I engaged some one criticized my comment as harsh which for me is a first especially since I was attempting to be helpful. My thoughts again was this is social media, people clash sometimes.

The author was very frustrated and needed a place to vent.  We have all felt that way in our lives.  This stream topic is the true minority of the topics or comments shared on CruiseCritic.com.  Again, after reading all the posts, the OP was a little over the top for sure.  Disappointment does that to a person some times. 

Cruise well.

Unfortunately, as I pointed out, this isn't a support group...it isn't a place for venting. We all have our stresses and troubles, but we have to learn that public displays only sour the environment for everyone. I don't really come here to hear people's troubles, problems, and complaints...let's share the GOOD of cruising and not the bile.

Great way to handle things if you want to "vent": Open up Word or NotePad...type out all the nastiness that you want to...vent to your heart's content. Save the document. Come back after a few hours and read over what you wrote. Revise and edit if you feel the need.

Then drop the document in the Recycle Bin.

Nobody wants to be on a cruise, or on Cruise Critic, with "Debbie Downer".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I agree! Many of us booked on the POA have been trying to take this cruise since before Covid. Our October cruise will be our 8th attempt to use our original booking, including an NCL cancellation (for drydock) before Covid was even a vocabulary word. My husband and I are at the point that our airline tickets have to be used (booked almost 3 years ago!) and if our reservation gets cancelled again we’re keeping our flights and going anyway. I have cancellable back-up plans that I made the last time our cruise was cancelled and would pivot to go to Hawaii without cruising.

That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be angry and disappointed. NCL is still selling cabins on my sailing as they were for the August cruises, and in my mind those are the bookings that should be cancelled. I understand the staffing problems, but I think NCL should close bookings until they are sure they can accommodate all of them. I also think there are many people with flexibility who would jump at the chance for a refund and 100% FCC. I wish NCL would ask for volunteers before cancelling long-standing reservations as little as 6-weeks out. Yes, that’s more complicated than just cancelling reservations, but I think it’s a solution that would be better received than the current practice.

• Like 2