Port Canaveral without ship excursion.

davy jones

Our cruise is making a port call at Port Canaveral.  Port hours are from noon to 8 PM, really not enough time for a ship excursion to the Orlando area or KSC.  We're looking for a way to spend the afternoon there.  I have a few questions.

It looks like Jetty Park is walkable from terminal 1.  Not so much from terminal 5.  Is this correct?

What are options for getting to Cocoa Beach?

Are there any good options near the port for self exploration?

Jetty Park is walkable but you have to walk with traffic.  It's fine if you want some beach time otherwise there's not much there (besides a camp ground where we've stayed to watch the ships go out).  You cannot walk it from terminal 5 unless you want to walk several miles in busy traffic.  There's not much at the port for self exploration unless you want to eat lunch at one of the waterfront restaurants.  Cocoa Beach is close by but again, not much to do unless you're a beach person.  The port is geared towards people coming and going for 1 day before boarding a ship.  Personally, I'd stay on board.

• Like 2

you can not walk from T5 or any 'north side' terminal to Jetty Park or anyplace else on the south side. Foot traffic is not allowed on the draw bridge (just above the "A" label) ... there are no approaching sidewalks or a foot lane .... bridge tender WILL call security.

image.thumb.png.e0fab3cbc8f7d26e929f2d9b9a7b81c2.png

18 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

The port is geared towards people coming and going for 1 day before boarding a ship.  Personally, I'd stay on board.

We were thinking of a combination of the Royal Caribbean Cocao beach shuttle and then the no. 9 bus and visiting Ron Jons, lunch at Cocoa pier with some beach time and then Golf N Gator for a couple of hours as it sounds fun for our son.

Would you not recommend doing this? We are from the UK so it would seem a shame to stay on the ship.

(OP sorry to hijack the thread)

19 minutes ago, Tin can said:

We were thinking of a combination of the Royal Caribbean Cocao beach shuttle and then the no. 9 bus and visiting Ron Jons, lunch at Cocoa pier with some beach time and then Golf N Gator for a couple of hours as it sounds fun for our son.

Would you not recommend doing this? We are from the UK so it would seem a shame to stay on the ship.

(OP sorry to hijack the thread)

Well, that would certainly use up the time you have in port.  Ron Jon's??  Tourist trap unless you want to buy a T shirt.  The other items sound fine if you've never been there before.

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

Well, that would certainly use up the time you have in port.  Ron Jon's??  Tourist trap unless you want to buy a T shirt.  The other items sound fine if you've never been there before.

Thank you for the reply much appreciated, we have done the full Orlando thing previously with a main holiday from the UK but never been to this area of Florida before so will spend a few hours having a look around I think.

The Royal Caribbean shuttle drops and collects at Ron Jons so I'm assuming that there is some sort of 'arrangement' between the two of them.

RJ has a BIG parking lot and is next to a very nice beach <Shepard Park> so in part it is just a good place for the bus to load/unload . . . .

if you visit Cocoa Beach ya gots to buy a RJ t-shirt .. or SOMETHING with the RJ logo. I think it is a county ordinance.  Out of state vehicles may be stopped and searched . . .  🤣

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2022 at 8:31 AM, Tin can said:

Sounds like a great way to spend the day.

I'm not familiar with the No. 9 bus though but I looked it up (Space Coast Area Transit) and looks like you've got a good plan.

• Like 1

There is no need for the Royal shuttle AND the 9 bus. The shuttle takes you right to Ron Jons. Or take the 888 shuttle from outside the cruise terminal (they operate from all terminals). It does the same thing and is a few bucks cheaper. Cocoa Beach pier is about 3/4 miles away. I don't think it's worth the time and effort, just a few snack shops.