MSC Changed My Cruise Dates - Jeddah to Trieste April 2023

DoubleSix

Originally I booked an MSC cruise from Jeddah to Trieste leaving April 15, 2023.  A few days ago I tried to log into my account and kept getting an error page once logged in. Finally today, it presented me with my info but now instead of my cruise leaving on April 15, 2023, it is leaving on April 12, 2023. 

This "cruise" that MSC has now booked me in is not even on their website. It seems as though they have booked me on two connecting cruises:

1. Saudi Arabia & Red Sea7 Nights - I would be picking up the cruise half way through on Day 5 (in Jeddah)
  2. Saudi Arabia & Red Sea14 Nights (from Sokhna Port to Trieste) - I would be staying on this cruise for the entire 14 days. 

I didn't book my flight yet, so my biggest irritation is that I'm no longer guaranteed the room that I wanted (room 9009 - corner 2 room suite). 

Of course, MSC did not email me nor any of the other 7 people I'm going on this trip with about the changes. After calling, the rep said that we will be receiving an email with our options, but I'm not holding my breath. For anyone else who has gone through something like this with MSC, what options were you given? For example, if I don't want to do the cruise they have me presently booked in, will I get my non-refundable deposit back or can I just automatically transfer it to the cruise that I want to take?

Edit: And how likely is it that they will change this itinerary again!?

Edited by DoubleSix
Added another question

13 hours ago, DoubleSix said:

Originally I booked an MSC cruise from Jeddah to Trieste leaving April 15, 2023.  A few days ago I tried to log into my account and kept getting an error page once logged in. Finally today, it presented me with my info but now instead of my cruise leaving on April 15, 2023, it is leaving on April 12, 2023. 

This "cruise" that MSC has now booked me in is not even on their website. It seems as though they have booked me on two connecting cruises:

1. Saudi Arabia & Red Sea7 Nights - I would be picking up the cruise half way through on Day 5 (in Jeddah)
  2. Saudi Arabia & Red Sea14 Nights (from Sokhna Port to Trieste) - I would be staying on this cruise for the entire 14 days. 

I didn't book my flight yet, so my biggest irritation is that I'm no longer guaranteed the room that I wanted (room 9009 - corner 2 room suite). 

Of course, MSC did not email me nor any of the other 7 people I'm going on this trip with about the changes. After calling, the rep said that we will be receiving an email with our options, but I'm not holding my breath. For anyone else who has gone through something like this with MSC, what options were you given? For example, if I don't want to do the cruise they have me presently booked in, will I get my non-refundable deposit back or can I just automatically transfer it to the cruise that I want to take?

Edit: And how likely is it that they will change this itinerary again!?

I got notified by TA yesterday.

I now get a 3 extra nights for free. I love it!  I was told my room stays the same. I am in Yacht club so that's a plus.

I do have the option to cancel for full refund even though it's non refundable or move to another.

As far as them changing again?

They could and they will probably mess with our rooms, try and charge us more or accidentally cancel us.

Your suite is probably safe.

I really dislike this cruise line yet I keep ending up on them for multiple reasons not totally in my control.  I use a TA now for them so they can deal with the BS.

Great product lousy everything else land based.

Edited by mscdivina2016

Thanks @mscdivina2016. I will try to patiently wait. I didn't book through a TA so I'm dealing with their shenanigans myself.

I'm thinking I may just get on at Sokhna Port as that's what most of my party wants to do. Just hope that if I make that change they will still give me the category of suite that I purchased (as currently it shows as sold out online). 

3 hours ago, sidari said:

Which ship are you sailing on ?

Splendida.

Was 14 night from Jeddah for me, now 17 night from Jeddah.

They added a few Egyptian ports which appear to be a port where people can embark or disembark.

We are on this trip as well. We are embarking in Safaga. Received our update email this morning from MSC. Added two nights to our trip, and one additional port. No additional charge. Since I have not really booked any additional travel plans for this trip, we are okay with the changes.

Received an email from MSC today as well.

Was originally a 7-nt cruise departing from Jeddah on Saturday April 1st and now leaving 3 days earlier on Wednesday, March 29th but still 7-nts. As with others, Al Wajh, Saudi Arabia has been replaced with Sokhna, Egypt for Cairo. Since this means Cairo excursions, I'm good with this change!

9 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Was originally a 7-nt cruise departing from Jeddah on Saturday April 1st and now leaving 3 days earlier on Wednesday, March 29th but still 7-nts. As with others, Al Wajh, Saudi Arabia has been replaced with Sokhna, Egypt for Cairo. Since this means Cairo excursions, I'm good with this change!

I wonder what is going on?

Why the 3 extra nights on multiple sailings I just realized after reading your dates.

This now appears to effect 4 sailings at a minimum.

Okay something really weird is going on at MSC. I tried to search for the second cruise they booked me on [Saudi Arabia & Red Sea14 Nights (from Sokhna Port to Trieste leaving April 15)] and it no longer shows up on their website at all (at least no on the Canadian website). 

I guess I will just have to be patient, as it looks like they are more changes to come in the next few days / weeks. 

Edited by DoubleSix
Added date of cruise

3 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Why the 3 extra nights on multiple sailings I just realized after reading your dates.

I just checked their Canadian site again and saw even more changes in regards to the cruises that are available within the Red Sea. Now, as I write this post, the only cruises that I'm seeing that go through the Suez Canal on their website all start in UAE.  

I have no idea the cruise @mscdivina2016 and I booked was cancelled / reshuffled. I still have not received any communication from MSC.  

I understand that they may need to make changes, it's just a bit frustrating they don't wait until they have all their ducks in order before they start making all these changes. Also how hard would it be for them to send me an email?!

13 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Do you mind posting the contents of the email (obviously removing any PII)? I still haven't gotten any email and when I phoned, they just said soon.

2 hours ago, DoubleSix said:

Do you mind posting the contents of the email (obviously removing any PII)? I still haven't gotten any email and when I phoned, they just said soon.

June 23, 2022

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing MSC Cruises for your upcoming Grand Voyage cruise vacation.

We are contacting you with an important update concerning your cruise on MSC Splendida which is scheduled to sail from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on 4/15/2023. Due to necessary operational changes, the departure date for your cruise has changed. Your cruise will now depart on 4/12/2023 instead of 4/15/2023. Additionally, we are pleased to now offer you an enriched 17-night cruise itinerary, instead of the original 14-night itinerary.

Please note there is no additional payment required for the extra nights.

Below is the updated cruise itinerary:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Splendida.

Was 14 night from Jeddah for me, now 17 night from Jeddah.

They added a few Egyptian ports which appear to be a port where people can embark or disembark.

Remember a Xmas cruise on Costa Deliziosa that was increased by two extra days w hitch initially caused some panic until I noticed my other half had booked an extra two days off work, there was no extra cost but the itinerary changed five times prior to sailing.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DoubleSix said:

Mine is slightly different since the cruise remains a 7-nt cruise, just departing earlier with the port changes. It reads:

June 23, 2022

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for choosing MSC Cruises for your upcoming cruise vacation in the Red Sea.

We are contacting you with an important update concerning your cruise on MSC Splendida which is scheduled to sail from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on 4/1/2023. Due to necessary operational changes, the itinerary for your cruise has been amended to sail 3 days earlier than your original departure date. Additionally, the call to Al Wajh, Saudi Arabia has been replaced with a call to Cairo (Sokhna port).

It then gives the revised itinerary in a timetable format and options to reschedule or cancel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I think only the last of the Red Sea cruises gets the 3 extra nights. The other cruises appear to be just shifted to 3 days earlier but still 7-nights. Perhaps the prior Saturday departure and return dates are no longer viable for Jeddah port. Is Saturday a holy day in Saudi Arabia?

3 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

I think only the last of the Red Sea cruises gets the 3 extra nights. The other cruises appear to be just shifted to 3 days earlier but still 7-nights. Perhaps the prior Saturday departure and return dates are no longer viable for Jeddah port. Is Saturday a holy day in Saudi Arabia?

I believe Fridays are considered the holiest day of the week in Islamic culture. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Is Saturday a holy day in Saudi Arabia?

No, but Saturday is part of the weekend. "Weekend" in Saudi Arabia means for most people Saturday and Sunday, for some Friday afternoon to Sunday and for others Friday to Saturday. And for the Banglas, Nepalese and Pakistani in the lower ranks only Friday. 

As a tourist this is completely irrelevant except for the bus schedules. 

• Like 1

We booked this cruise through Cruise Guru thank goodness !!!

Communication is much easier through them than MSC direct. Luckily we hadn't booked our airfares yet but I must admit I am not disappointed at 3 extra days.

Our Suite has also disappeared, but hoping after 4 July will be back online again as email had that as the cut-off date to respond.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is MSC known for changing itineraries like this?? I was planning to book our first MSC as an add-on to next summer's S2S on Royal in the Med .... but if they shift dates we would be out of luck.  

7 hours ago, 80sGal said:

Is MSC known for changing itineraries like this?? I was planning to book our first MSC as an add-on to next summer's S2S on Royal in the Med .... but if they shift dates we would be out of luck.  

This is the 2nd time I have had it happen in the last year.

I doubt it's normal.

Use a TA if booking MSC!! They are lousy to deal with. Let a TA do it.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2022 at 8:15 PM, Qlder said:

We booked this cruise through Cruise Guru thank goodness !!!

Communication is much easier through them than MSC direct. Luckily we hadn't booked our airfares yet but I must admit I am not disappointed at 3 extra days.

Our Suite has also disappeared, but hoping after 4 July will be back online again as email had that as the cut-off date to respond.

What do you mean disappeared?

19 hours ago, 80sGal said:

This is the first time I've had MSC cruise dates shifted.

Fortunately I had not booked airline reservations yet.

1 hour ago, deniseatnycs said:

Ours too has changed to guarantee and there only seems to be availability for one YC.

I already contacted the TA.

Told them to get my exact cabin back.  

If not upgrade me as the cruise is paid in full already.