Quantum Alaska Positive After Getting Home

4 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Are the long term affects of an unvaccinated kid having COVID known?

No, and neither are the long term affects of a vaccinated kid/adult/ape/etc....silly question.

• Like 1

I think on Cruises especially Alaska now you have to accept that catching Covid is possible. The new variant is more like a cold or minor flu and the vaccine does little to stop it. Maybe it makes the effect less. The thing about Covid is in 2020 and 2021 it was very serious and killed a lot of people. In 2022 it is not the same virus other than by name.  My wife tested positive after we returned and I did not. We had a great time on the cruise so we can deal with the post covid. I have had more friend test positive in the last 6 months than the previous 2 years. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marty McFly said:

Facts don't lie.  COVID-19 is a leading cause of death among children 0-19 years.  See page 26-27 of this CDC document:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2022-06-17-18/02-COVID-Fleming-Dutra-508.pdf

Yes the numbers are low, but if you can prevent serious illness and a few deaths, why wouldn't you?  It comes down to your risk tolerance for your kids.

Per your link, about half of children hospitalized had an underlying condition.  Not even sure this counts other comorbidities such as obesity which probably includes 20% of kids and likely a lot more in the near adult age range.  And Covid really hits hard statistically  for those who are obese.

Also, a lot of the worst days of it was original and delta.  Omicron has been far less severe statistically.   Why?  Numerous possible explanations.  But one reason is certainly another chart in your link.  They estimate 70% of kids have seroprevalence of infection induced antibodies.  So nearly 3/4 of kids have some immunity against severe outcomes because the built antibodies and T cell memory naturally as the body is designed to do.  

Anyhow, I still don’t see why we would require a 6 month old or a 3

year old, or whatever to be vaccinated.  Any kid with prior infection is a much lower risk than a vaccinated adult for severe outcomes.  

And with omicron and variants, the current vaccines to little to nothing to to stop the spread.  Those who want protection against severe outcomes should be vaccinated if they want protection.  But no one should pretend now that the vaccines protect against infection against current strains.  They don’t. 

I only know one child who was hospitalized with Covid (and I know a lot since I have kids) and it turns out the child had lukemia and they just didn’t know it yet.  It was very tough for them.  But they made it through and at least found out about the cancer and began treatment immediately.  Could’ve taken longer otherwise and been worse.  I h o knows.  I’ve also heard of a few that were definitely whipped at home for days, but almost all stories are it was the sniffles or nearly nothing.  My own experience is consistent with the very minor symptoms type.  My kids had the slightest symptoms possible and then not for a day or two.  Only my wife and I who are vaccinated got hit hard.  

Soon I suspect almost all of us will have some natural long term immunity against severe disease because we will all get Covid sooner or later.  Vaccines won’t matter much soon as a measure to protect the broad public (if they do at all now).  Heard immunity is meaningless if immunity only protects against severe outcomes and doesn’t stop infection.  

3 hours ago, Marty McFly said:

Facts don't lie.  COVID-19 is a leading cause of death among children 0-19 years.  See page 26-27 of this CDC document:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2022-06-17-18/02-COVID-Fleming-Dutra-508.pdf

Yes the numbers are low, but if you can prevent serious illness and a few deaths, why wouldn't you?  It comes down to your risk tolerance for your kids.

You could not be more wrong. Covid deaths for adolescents is 0.2% per hundred thousand. 

The previous analysis, which examined data through 2016, showed that firearm-related injuries were second only to motor vehicle crashes (both traffic-related and nontraffic-related) as the leading cause of death among children and adolescents, defined as persons 1 to 19 years of age.4 Since 2016, that gap has narrowed, and in 2020, firearm-related injuries became the leading cause of death in that age group (Figure 1). From 2019 to 2020, the relative increase in the rate of firearm-related deaths of all types (suicide, homicide, unintentional, and undetermined) among children and adolescents was 29.5% — more than twice as high as the relative increase in the general population. The increase was seen across most demographic characteristics and types of firearm-related death (Fig. S1 in the Supplementary Appendix, available with the full text of this letter at NEJM.org).

In addition, drug overdose and poisoning increased by 83.6% from 2019 to 2020 among children and adolescents, becoming the third leading cause of death in that age group. This change is largely explained by the 110.6% increase in unintentional poisonings from 2019 to 2020. The rates for other leading causes of death have remained relatively stable since the previous analysis, which suggests that changes in mortality trends among children and adolescents during the early Covid-19 pandemic were specific to firearm-related injuries and drug poisoning; Covid-19 itself resulted in 0.2 deaths per 100,000 children and adolescents in 2020.1

6 hours ago, volk904 said:

I think on Cruises especially Alaska now you have to accept that catching Covid is possible. The new variant is more like a cold or minor flu and the vaccine does little to stop it. Maybe it makes the effect less. The thing about Covid is in 2020 and 2021 it was very serious and killed a lot of people. In 2022 it is not the same virus other than by name.  My wife tested positive after we returned and I did not. We had a great time on the cruise so we can deal with the post covid. I have had more friend test positive in the last 6 months than the previous 2 years. 

I am not sure why you think that if you take an Alaska cruise you are more likely to get COVID?  We have been on 4 Alaska cruises along with 6 other cruises and we have never had COVID.  I believe that COVID is on all cruise ships and we are hearing more about Alaska due to cruises starting up again there in May.

16 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

I am not sure why you think that if you take an Alaska cruise you are more likely to get COVID?  We have been on 4 Alaska cruises along with 6 other cruises and we have never had COVID.  I believe that COVID is on all cruise ships and we are hearing more about Alaska due to cruises starting up again there in May.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:54 PM, topnole said:

Regular surgical masks do little if there isn’t a tight seal which is hard to get with those.  Some of the brands of surgical masks do filter about a level of 90 or higher (relative to N95).  There was a cool you tube channel that tested actual filtration on lots of brands.  However, doesn’t matter what the mask is, if it isn’t a tight seal, you are breathing in unfiltered air.  Most people leave or have gaps in their masks.  It makes them much more comfortable to wear.  It also renders the now more comfortable mask mostly ineffective.  Masks can help if they are worn tightly and are of high filtration (ex KN95).  But few if any would wear them for any duration in a way that makes them as effective as they hope them to be.  The main problem with masks is operator error.  It is understandable enough.  It is really hard to wear them in a way that maximizes their effectiveness and way too easy to resort to wearing them in a way that makes them nearly useless.  

Agreed. I am immuno compromised and so wore KN95 on both spring cruises I took (as did both partners), trying to eat mostly outside or at off times to lower risk. We skipped a lot of entertainment and bigger excursions we usually would have done. Still fun, though the masks got super hot in the Caribbean and we def got some looks…but I think it’s the only way we avoided infection. 

• Like 3

On 6/24/2022 at 11:05 AM, rudeney said:

I did not realize butt pain was a COVID symptom. Sorry, I could not resist.  😜  Seriously I hope her symptoms remain mild and she recovers quickly.  I'd be interested to hear what RCCL tells you.  I expect they will just say "thanks for the info" but you never know!

RCL has said nothing.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:12 AM, mndity said:

I was on the 6/13/22 Quantum cruise.  It was the 3rd attempt to book this cruise due to Covid. So guess what??  My wife contracted Covid the last night of the cruise (although if was not confirmed until when we got home). She is vaccinated & boosted once. I have tested myself twice with negative results since coming home. I'm not sure what I could of done to stop this but wear a mask 24/7 and we wouldn't have done this cruise if this was the case.  Her symptoms are minor (slight fever, the "cough", and fatigue) but still a pain in the butt. I have contacted RCCL but expect to hear back maybe in 2-3 weeks (that seems to be the turn around time with them).  This is mainly just to get out the fact that Covid is still out there.

I did contract Covid the 4th day after getting home.  Minor fever, cough but major tiredness.  Quarantined 5 days and back to work yesterday.  I suppose masking might of helped but at this point who cares!! Glad it wasn't worse.