Pride loss of power June 10 Norway cruise

poindexter

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Okay. I guess no Diamonds International to sponsor them. I see your point.

They did provide a printed sheet for the room with basic cruise information all on one handy card. On the back was a few bullet points on each country visited on the cruise (I neglected to save the Norway card). What was helpful was each Port except for a few had representatives that handed out City maps and/or hop on hop off bus info if available which was useful. The cities we visited that had an actual Cruise Terminal and a manned Information Desk were always swamped with cruise passengers asking questions.  

PXL_20220628_014353948_2.jpg

PXL_20220628_014325745_2.jpg

PXL_20220628_015734871_2.jpg

15 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

When was this?

Looks like June 24

Returned from Helsinki yesterday only to find our room ( and four others nearby as well as hallway) TOTALLY flooded out, water from door right thru to under the bed and near the end of room.
We have been moved to a temporary room while it is dried out - while most belongings, clothing etc still in old room ...

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Looks like June 24

Returned from Helsinki yesterday only to find our room ( and four others nearby as well as hallway) TOTALLY flooded out, water from door right thru to under the bed and near the end of room.
We have been moved to a temporary room while it is dried out - while most belongings, clothing etc still in old room ...

Ahh, after I left. 

36 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Okay. I guess no Diamonds International to sponsor them. I see your point.

I also want to point out that on these Carnival Europe cruises there were MANY first time cruisers, not just on Carnival but it was their first cruise period. So there were many, many people that had no idea how this whole Ports of call thing worked. Many people didn't sign up for ship WiFI services or didn't have had International mobile phone data plans. In other words there were lots of clueless passengers on all these sailings. 

Edited by kwokpot

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I also want to point out that on these Carnival Europe cruises there were MANY first time cruisers, not just on Carnival but it was their first cruise period......

In my most humble opinion Carnival could do a lot better at communicating with guests, especially these folks who are new to cruising.  Something more substantive than constant reminders to buy bingo cards.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I also want to point out that on these Carnival Europe cruises there were MANY first time cruisers, not just on Carnival but it was their first cruise period. So there were many, many people that had no idea how this whole Ports of call thing worked. Many people didn't sign up for ship WiFI services or didn't have had International mobile phone data plans. In other words there were lots of clueless passengers on all these sailings. 

If they were that clueless, hopefully they bought ship tours, or were part of a group. Did they even know to go to the MDR for dinner?

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 9:30 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

Maybe I'm the only one, but loss of propulsion combined with a lack of communication about said loss of propulsion is much scarier and worth reporting than a few covid cases and having to worry about additional ground transportation once in port due to lack of guest sometimeservices lack of knowledge.  

We're booked on the Pride out of Rome on Sept. 11 and I want to hear about loss of propulsion every time it happens between now and then.

I agree with that compared to a covid case.  But lets say a microwave caught on fire, which happened on one of our cruises.  Do we need an explanation.  What if propulsion and power went out for 5 minutes.  And it was a simple error/fix.  Do we really need updated?  If it was out an hour.  Yeah.  Give me an update.   My power went off last night for litterally 30 seconds.  You are the first I have shared it with.  Lots of things don't go as planned on a cruise ship.  I only want to know what I need to know.  That's just me.  

21 minutes ago, thunderingherd11 said:

I agree with that compared to a covid case.  But lets say a microwave caught on fire, which happened on one of our cruises.  Do we need an explanation.  What if propulsion and power went out for 5 minutes.  And it was a simple error/fix.  Do we really need updated?  If it was out an hour.  Yeah.  Give me an update.   My power went off last night for litterally 30 seconds.  You are the first I have shared it with.  Lots of things don't go as planned on a cruise ship.  I only want to know what I need to know.  That's just me.  

I guess people are literally looking for a 10 second mention from the Captain on his daily briefing. I Don't give a sh*t how deep the water is but a quick acknowledgement of the incident and that it's of no consequence seems to be what people  are looking for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

I guess people are literally looking for a 10 second mention from the Captain on his daily briefing. I Don't give a sh*t how deep the water is but a quick acknowledgement of the incident and that it's of no consequence seems to be what people  are looking for. 

If curious, I would have picked up the phone, called, and asked.

OTOH, I have a backup generator for when the power goes out. So do Carnival ships.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:41 PM, BlerkOne said:

The ships had emergency generators added so basic hotel services would function. If there was a blackout, I doubt it would be for long.

I was also reading about what sounds like a burst water pipe on the ship. These also happen sooner or later on all ships.

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If curious, I would have picked up the phone, called, and asked.

OTOH, I have a backup generator for when the power goes out. So do Carnival ships.

While this was the first solution presented after the Triumph fire, and there were temporary generators installed on deck, that was only until the final fix was made.  And, that fix did not include a "backup generator".  What it entailed was rerouting the power cables from the forward engine room outside the aft engine room to the main switchboard, so that a fire in the aft engine room (as with Triumph and Splendor) does not knock out the forward engine room as well.  It was found to be vastly more expensive to try to carve out space for another generator, and then reroute "essential" power circuits to this generator (and the new switchboard, with transfer switches), so they went the easy, cost effective way and segregated the engine rooms, as they should have been from newbuilding.

Carnival ships have an emergency generator, as all ships do, but the power assigned to it is limited by law to that power needed to evacuate the ship, not toilets, AC, or galley.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While this was the first solution presented after the Triumph fire, and there were temporary generators installed on deck, that was only until the final fix was made.  And, that fix did not include a "backup generator". 

I still see the "temporary" generators on deck. I seem to recall they are one of the items removed from Carnival ships before they head to the scrap yard.

8 hours ago, thunderingherd11 said:

I agree with what you said, including the "that's just me" which is a nice way of acknowledging there's no black/white answer.  That said, the difference between a microwave catching fire and the ship losing propulsion is kind of like the difference between you have a fire in your fireplace and your house is on fire.  One is easily taken care of, the other is a potential tragedy.  Yes, if the ship loses power for thirty seconds I want to know about it and be assured everything is back to normal.  Especially if I was in an elevator.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 4:42 PM, craig01020 said:

I'm sure anyone sleeping with a CPAP machine noticed. 😳

This is a very perceptive comment! It is frightening to wake up and be unable to breathe.

Even so, if it has to happen, I’d rather have it happen on a ship than at home.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I still see the "temporary" generators on deck. I seem to recall they are one of the items removed from Carnival ships before they head to the scrap yard.

And those temporary generators are not connected all the time.  When needed, they need to be connected to the distribution bus before they can power anything.