Shuttles?

Huggsy

I've only done the one Regent cruise (aah, poor me🥺), in February; Covid was still quite an issue so you could only go ashore on a booked excursion. Excuse the stupid question but now regulations are mostly relaxed am I right to assume that shuttles would normally be in place and are they back on? Our next cruise takes in many Mediterranean ports where a lot of the tours don't interest us and hubby and I want to do our own thing. 

Regent Shuttles were not a standard thing pre Covid. Some ports provided them, some didn’t especially if there was a strong taxi union. Sometimes there was a free tour that was basically  a round trip to some tourist spot in the city with a few hours of free time.

We have never had a problem getting into town for a do it yourself tour….taxi, walk, city shuttle or Regent bus or shuttle.

• Thanks 1

Regent provides a shuttle at some ports, usually where the city center is fairly close but not an easy walking distance. Sometimes it’s the port that provides the shuttle. Sometimes, as mentioned above, the taxi union is strong and no shuttle is provided.  When the main city of attraction is a distance away there is often an “on your own” included excursion offered.  This is where a bus leaves the ship at one designated time, drops you in a specific location in the city, and then picks you up there at a designated time. It differs from a shuttle because it doesn’t go back and forth. Examples of “on your own” cities on a cruise I’m on this fall where this is the case are Rome, Florence, Berlin, and Bruges.

• Like 1

Thank you 'wishiwas', that's well explained and has cleared up a couple of queries. Hubby and I were discussing the 'on your own' tours and weren't too sure as to what was involved.👍