European Plug Adapters

krufrank

Hi all!  We are doing a 14 day Carribean coming up.  I remember reading somewhere, behind the beds is a European style plug.  My wife has a C-Pap machine that needs to be plugged in.  Does anyone know what type of European converter we would need to be able to use said plug??  Thanks.

31 minutes ago, SimplyMarvie said:

It's a F-type plug -- round outlet with two round pins. Amazon has converters for cheap, it's probably worth it to double your outlet options if you tend to be gadget heavy when traveling.

You may not even need a converter, just and adapter to go from Europe round plugs to Us spade type. Check your CPAP machine to see if it will accept 220V input. If you do need a converter, be sure that you get one that can supply the proper wattage. We have one very heavy duty one that the DW needs to power her hair curler as it only takes 110v, so that one gets packed when we are going to spend any time on land trips. 

As most USB/Cell/Computer chargers can take 110 or 220v inputs, we carry a variety of adapters so we can utilize the various plug types we encounter. I even picked up a 3 outlet European plug that I can plug into the one on the ships outlet and then just plug some adapters into it and wa la, extra outlets. These were really handy before ships started adding USB Ports.

Sorry, I meant an outlet converter and not a voltage converter! We're back and forth between 110v and 220v often enough that I just don't buy anything that isn't dual voltage anymore. I've "let the magic smoke out" too many times by plugging things into the wrong voltage that we just gave up and bought dupes of anything that wouldn't take both.

But a converter -- voltage or outlet -- is definitely the cheaper option. 🙂 

1 hour ago, SimplyMarvie said:

Sorry, I meant an outlet converter and not a voltage converter! We're back and forth between 110v and 220v often enough that I just don't buy anything that isn't dual voltage anymore. I've "let the magic smoke out" too many times by plugging things into the wrong voltage that we just gave up and bought dupes of anything that wouldn't take both.

Yeah, I know about that. The DW once turned her curler in to a puddle of plastic with metal bits when she mistakenly plugged it into a 220V adapter I had on the outlet instead of the converter. 

For us we use the word adapter as an implement which just changes the plug type. Converter also changes the output voltage/wattage. 

6 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

I have done the "let the magic smoke out" too!  It got so hot that the ceramic on my flat iron melted right off!  It's all a mystery to me so it's good that my DH worked in the electronic biz for many many years...he understands it.