Hardside vs Softside Luggage on HAL?

I Luv Crusin

I just read about the hardsided rec in the HAL brochure yesterday and was quite surprised. Like everyone else I got rid of my hardsided luggage several years ago and have not regretted it in the least. We've gone on several cruise (not HAL) and never had any problems. I do remember watching my hardsided luggage fall down six feet from a luggage cart in Schiphol and worrying about the impact on the hinges. If you have the expandable luggage and pack it very full when you leave home I think it travels well. I was also surprised that they said you should put shoes on top (that was on the HAL site) I was disappointed that I could not access booking details, other than itinerary, from the HAL site (even the immigration form is temporarily down as they upgrade it).

We are considering hard sided luggage after our soft sided got damaged, we don't fly so weight isn't a consideration. Can anyone tell me why they swithched to soft from hard and what the main difference if any,is?

Thanks,

Trisha

We switched from hard-sided to soft-sided mainly due to airline weight restrictions..soft-sided luggage is expandable...One of our peices was damaged in Santiago..A long gash in it..Don't know if it was the ships personnel or the transfer company who damaged it..We repaired the gash with duct tape at our Hotel & used it twice more..

We always put plastic dry cleaning bags on the bottom sides & top of all our clothes..In case of rain, the clothes will stay dry...

Understand the newer hard sided luggage is very lightwqeight, but also very expensive..However, we don't plan on reverting to hard sided luggage anytime soon...

...we don't fly so weight isn't a consideration.

I think just lugging/dragging the stuff is still a consideration; flying isn't the only time weight comes into play.

I use hard-sided luggage because that's what I have. It was a large investment in $$$$$, and all my pieces are still perfectly good; I'm not about to replace them. Getting them off the bed and out the door is hard enough; getting them back up on the bed to unpack is nigh onto impossible.

We are considering hard sided luggage after our soft sided got damaged, we don't fly so weight isn't a consideration. Can anyone tell me why they swithched to soft from hard and what the main difference if any,is?

Thanks,

Trisha

We recently got a couple of nice Samsonite hard-sided bags with wheels- It's great for "smuggling" beer on board. ;) (Kidding...kidding)

HAPPY MARDI GRAS!!!

They're great, Jim.

Light-weight, wheels, unobtrusive handle, spin-lock.

Love 'em.

If you're interested, I'll dig around and let you know where we ordered them from. (Did alot of shopping and got a great internet deal with free shipping)

Whatever you get, make sure it has wheels.

We finally went the wheel route for our cruise last year on Explorer of the Seas, and it made life sooooo much easier. I have always been partial to Boyt luggage, and got a great deal on several pieces from Altmann Luggage in New York... while writing this I checked and they really don't have many sizes left, but they do have a nice sale on Flight Pro and Travel Pro. You can google them for their website.

Has anybody tried the Heys hardbodied carry-on cases that come in a variety of colours? I'm thinking of picking one up, but don't know how well the shell stands up to the wear and tear of the airline overhead bins. I like my soft-sided carry-on because I can get a ton of stuff in there and it's expandable, but the little Heys look so darn cute!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We have hard sided Samonsite Oyster cases and they have been around the world literally at least two dozen times. We purchased them in 1990 and have been on many flights.

We have flown to Europe every year for the past 11 years from Australia and they have taken a beating and yet they are still terrific.

We also have just returned home from South America where we did 16 flights all up and they are still going strong.

Our luggage always comes out as we packed it and never creased. We would never return to soft sided luggage again.

Jennie

I want to say that ours are "OYSTER", as well, Jennie. Love 'em.

Jim- having trouble with finding a receipt. I've got the feeling that I threw them out. :( (Had a "shopping" email folder that I deleted a few months ago, as well. My timing stinks)

My apologies. However, if they turn up, I promise to alert you via post.

Archived