Foreign ATM Withdrawals

Fouremco

12 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We have a TD USD account  as well as their USD VISA card

we were in the U.S land trip

we could not use the debit card to get cash

I used the VISA card then just went online & paid the CC

We had USD with us   so we were not stuck  but wanted to see if the debit card would work like our CAD cards

Now this was a few years ago but I think it is still the same

I would ask at the bank to confirm

JMO

That is my experience with TD also. If I remember correctly there is no way to attach your US dollar account to the bank card. 

On 7/7/2022 at 4:46 PM, Brian V said:

Wise words...I had a single CC for years ("Why have more, you just spend more!") but almost got stranded a few years ago when my (at the time) only card got compromised and I was left with no way to pay for my hotel, or even the gas to drive home. Thankfully, had very understanding in-laws 🙂

Have a second card now, gets used for almost nothing but it is there...just in case...

Very wise advice, carry multiple cards.  Some years ago I flew from the Middle East to the USA.  During the station stop in Heathrow, I went ashore and made a phone call using my MasterCard.  Later when I checked in at the hotel in Miami the card was declined.  I could not understand that - it was fine just a few hours ago.  Having previously learned the lesson to carry multiple cards, I used another card to check in then phoned MasterCard.  They verified that it was me, that I still had the card with me and turned the card back on.  It turns out that card thieves test the card by making a phone call to see if it is still valid.  If it had been reported stolen and cancelled and they tried to use it in a store, the store would call the cops.